Thread: Bracket Racing

Advanced Tuner

Bracket Racing

I'm on a quest to try and make the car run as close to a dial in as possible so any input on how to setup the tables just for drag racing to accomplish this would be appreciated.

I notice the last time I raced that ECT didn't really affect the car. Seems like IAT was the biggest factor. Now when I had the hood up, I could cool the engine compartment and sensor down within 30 minutes (60 degrees out). BTW I relocated the IAT sensor from the MAF to the side of the airbox. The temperature is much more accurate, EXCEPT when the hood is down for awhile. Now depending on where I was in the staging lanes, determined how bad everything was heat soaked, so I think that's what was making the car "inconsistant".

So.... what I was thinking was just taking the IAT out of the equation. If I did the resistor mod and told it that it was 60 degrees (when it actually was) that it wouldn't get fooled. I have 1 log that said 90 degrees, because I didn't have time to cool the engine compartment. It was still 60 degrees out. So anyway, this would take car of that I think.

Anyone have a correlation chart of resistance to IAT temp for an 05' GTO? Is it the same for all GM cars? I would imagine so.

The other problem is the tranny shifting. Is there a way to tell the computer that the tranny is up to full temperature all the time so it shifts exactly the same everytime?

Enough rambling.
    Jason
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Jason,

I can't help with your tech questions but I can tell you what I do. Tune that engine as perfectly as you can. A street tune. Disable TM, rear O2's, .......

Last but not least, and this is where I think you're getting scewed up, run hot. You will NEVER get the temp down each time for every run. Especially when you're in the semi finals and finals.
    Bob K
    BoMar Racing
    Rookie of the Year -Englishtown. NJ
    Member - Panuzzo Racing
    Member - NHRA

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. Why disable the rear O2's?

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Interesting. Why disable the rear O2's?
    will read the hot temps and put more fuel in your tune to cool cats down.This will make car run richer than needed.

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

For drag racing just disable COT.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    I had COT disabled. Infact i have it disabled all the time. Is that ok to do? I couldn't find a census on that.

EC, what do you think about my IAT mod for bracket racing?

I wouldn't take the IAT out of the equation. There is one other variable that you haven't mentioned. Oil Temp. It does make a difference.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    I wouldn't take the IAT out of the equation. There is one other variable that you haven't mentioned. Oil Temp. It does make a difference.
    All oil and gear temps make a difference. That's why I said to run hot. In addition to good RT's your car has to run within .01 or less during an event or you'll never be able to predict your ET. I don't think you can do it by trying to keep things cool.
    Bob K
    BoMar Racing
    Member - Panuzzo Racing
    Member - NHRA

Tuner
    but the big thing is the trans shifts at various rpm depending on fluid temp. happen to his and mine, takes about 2-3 rips before it starts shifting at desired shift rpm. mine will vary about from 5800 "cold" to 6100 "cold" and it varies the longest on the 2-3 shift. while the 1-2 shift starts to shift at desired shift rpm sooner than 2-3 shift. then I am going "wtf", go on one more rip- then this 6400shift(2nd) 6400shift(3rd) like I want it too.

anybody got any ideas on this????

Really getting to me. My season is starting soon, want this squared way. why is there not more indepth tables is the trans section of the editor. heck I can't even get the scanner to display the trans temp, when I pick the pid for temp fluid temp, all I get is 32* all the time. what???
    2009 G8 GT ... stock... DD

2005 GTO A4 (heads and cam ) currently broken.... last time 12.4 @ 109 (just a TC)

Sold: 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 8100 vortec RCLB [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I hear what you are saying about running hot, but then you have the added problem with the engine bay getting heat soaked. With 60 degree ambient air temp, the IAT could read anywhere from 70-120 depending on how long the car is running in the staging lanes.

The tranny shift points is a problem. I can't have it varying by 300 rpm in each gear. Is there a threshold that you can set to tell the tranny it is always warmed up? Atleast for the track tune?

Also, should we possibly force it to shift on mpg and not rpm some how?

Tuner in Training
    While you're waiting for the next run, monitor your temps in the pits. To keep the tranny warm, put the car in first amd build torque. Put it in reverse and build torqe (torque braking). Do this 4 or 5 times and your tranny temps will be right back up where you need them.

I run a 160 thermostat and fans temps are set at 175. If it's a 100 deg outside my engine temp still stays the same. Ditto in cool weather.

Hope all this info is helping you guys. It really works. Lowering your ET's means zip. Running the same number coupled with good RT's are the winning combos.
    Bob K
    BoMar Racing
    Member - Panuzzo Racing
    Member - NHRA