Thread: VE & ETC spike

Advanced Tuner

VE & ETC spike

Couple weeks ago I had an issue with the car occassionally falling on its face from a dead stop when it is hot outside. (ambient temps around 100) Hooked up the scanner and noticed that when this happens that the VE airflow was spiking through the roof as was the ETC%. Decided to clean the MAF and the problem went away so I attributed it to a dirty MAF sensor and didn't think anymore about it.

Fast forward a couple weeks to today and the issue is back. The attached pic shows one of the spikes where the MAF reads 4.14lb/min and the VE reads 63.63. The ETC spikes as well so I'm starting to wonder if maybe my TPS is acting up for some reason. I was just over 100F when this happened and I can make it spike by blipping the throttle while I'm in a light cruise. It had one really bad spike where it fell on its face which also spiked the Load % to 303 (I never see that kind of load even during a long pull) and taxed the injector ms to close to 14. The MAF read 0.50lb/min and the VE read 51.30 with ETC pedal at 10 and ETC % at 88.

Anyone seen this before and if so, what did you do to fix it? I'll remove and clean the MAF again but I think it's got to be something else.

I'm running an EFR6758 on e47 with the DDM intake and Solo HF cat and exhaust and have never had a problem until this started.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.
    spike.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    I think my issue may be the actual harness that is connected to the MAF. I gave it a bit more slack and it didn't act up on the way home so time will tell. It wasn't pulled tight but it didn't seem to have enough slack to me so I cut some of the loom and tape and gave it a bit more.

I occasionally have this problem without a solution. In for answers also. Mine's an L61 though, but it was still 14-16ms injector pulse and would run richer than my wideband could read. This was only after my E47 tune, however.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Advanced Tuner
    How long have you been running e47? I've been running it for close to 10 months now and the only upgrade I've done in those 10 months was to add a DDM intake about 3 months ago. If my troubleshooting doesn't turn up anything, I may reinstall the factory airbox and run it for a while during these extremely hot months to see if it does it as well.

Running E47 since mid April here.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"