Thread: Help me figure out this knock

Help me figure out this knock

So I bought a G8 that was previously tuned, I haven't made a lot of adjustments but I did back out some timing after initially seeing some KR. I didn't have my wideband in during this log so ignore the AFR. I will log with the wideband when I get a chance but the FTs look like the AFR is pretty good. I'm not doing WOT, it's all part throttle for now as the amount of KR is troubling. Car only has Kooks LTs and a Rotofab intake, I've heard of false knock but would it be this much false knock? It's my first time with a G8 and I've dealt with false knock but not this magnitude of false knock. I already backed out 5* at the area of the KR and still got another 3-4* of KR. I didn't have Burst Knock on or Knock Learn Factor at the time, so I will log with those on as well. The trans has been aggressively tuned as well, which I didn't like and I need to adjust that as well but I'd like to tackle the knock first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's the tune and recent log.

G8 2.0.hptG8 cruise3.hpl

Well I pulled some tunes and it seems my G8 has been stuffed with timing. Ugh. So called "Pro tuner". I'll be backing out copious amounts of timing it seems. Awesome.

Yeah, they've added a ton of timing. I'd set it back stock and see if it goes away for starters.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-16-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I did back out a LOT of timing after comparing it to stock and a couple of similarly modded tunes. Here's a screen shot of a comparison between the initial tune and a similarly modded G8. You can see that the area where the knock was most prevalent I had 13-15* more timing than the other tune. Can anybody look over the tranny tune and point me in the right direction? He had zero'd out all shift times and maxed out line pressures. I changed the shift times and lowered the line pressures but would still like some feedback on making more improvements. The tranny would slam the shifts and put into the back of the seat when I bought the car, now the normal shifts are much easier but still crisp. The sport shifts still leave much to be desired. Here's the most recent tune and log. I still had a small amount of knock, I'm going to pull another degree or so and see how she does, I'm also a little weary of false knock because some of the readings where just 0.2 KR. Any feedback is appreciated.

G8 cruise4.hpl

G8 3.0.hpt

G8 comparo.png
    Last edited by RawRacing; 07-19-2015 at 10:19 AM.

You are still 10-20* over stock timing on the high airflow side. And you ADDED timing in some areas. Everywhere that is negative in that screenshot has timing added, not subtracted...

I would seriously either go back to stock or split the difference between your original file and a stock one and see if the KR goes away first.

Attached is a stock G8 tune in case you don't have one.

The tuner is right that you will get a bit of extra KR right after a re-flash (not sure if it happens after a read), but that does not take long to go away. That is no excuse for adding this kind of timing.

I just ignore the 0.1's and 0.3's, etc. I get those too sometimes and never have really figured out why. Look at the base retard table and you'll see how much it will pull in the event of knock.. usually 3* or so. And it will actually pull that much timing (or more) if you get real knock

1222132805.hpt

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You are still 10-20* over stock timing on the high airflow side. And you ADDED timing in some areas. Everywhere that is negative in that screenshot has timing added, not subtracted...

I would seriously either go back to stock or split the difference between your original file and a stock one and see if the KR goes away first.

Attached is a stock G8 tune in case you don't have one.

The tuner is right that you will get a bit of extra KR right after a re-flash (not sure if it happens after a read), but that does not take long to go away. That is no excuse for adding this kind of timing.

I just ignore the 0.1's and 0.3's, etc. I get those too sometimes and never have really figured out why. Look at the base retard table and you'll see how much it will pull in the event of knock.. usually 3* or so. And it will actually pull that much timing (or more) if you get real knock

1222132805.hpt
    Thanks for the reply but my G8 is first in the comparison so it's the other way around. The negative spots are where I have less timing. Trust me, I haven't added timing downlow, I've only removed it. Here is my current timing vs intial, my timing is first in the comparison again. You can see how much timing I had to pull out.

G8 now vs initial.png

You should probably actually look at the tables before being so sure of that.

The screenshot you posted has positive AND negative values in the differences view. So.. how can all of those be subtractions?

When comparing the 2.0 tune vs. the 3.0 file, there are clearly areas timing has been added. Yes, there are areas it has went down also.

Why else would some of the numbers in the "differences" view be positive, and some are negative?

Perhaps you are comparing to a different file than I am.. but from what I have, timing went up in some areas starting around 2200 RPM's. The screenshot you posted shows similar results.

"3.0"
    3.0.JPG

"2.0"
    2.0.JPG

Deltas. Positive numbers are increases. Negative are decreases.
    Delta.JPG
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-17-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    You should probably actually look at the tables before being so sure of that.

The screenshot you posted has positive AND negative values in the differences view. So.. how can all of those be subtractions?

When comparing the 2.0 tune vs. the 3.0 file, there are clearly areas timing has been added. Yes, there are areas it has went down also.

Why else would some of the numbers in the "differences" view be positive, and some are negative?

Perhaps you are comparing to a different file than I am.. but from what I have, timing went up in some areas starting around 2200 RPM's. The screenshot you posted shows similar results.

"3.0"
    3.0.JPG

"2.0"
    2.0.JPG

Deltas. Positive numbers are increases. Negative are decreases.
    Delta.JPG
    I think the confusion is the particular area I'm concerned with and where the knock was. The knock is below 2200 RPMs, that's the area that had significantly more timing. The severe knock has always been between 1200-2200 RPMs at around .48g/cyl to .64g/cyl. The surrounding areas are the ones that only show 0.3-0.4 KR.
    Last edited by RawRacing; 07-17-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Here's the last log I did. You can see that the KR is all inbetween 1200-1800 RPM at .52-.56g/cyl. The rest registered in as what I believe to be false knock. I couldn't attach the whole log because the file is too big, so it's just a screen shot.

Last log.png