Thread: Start Up Problems with Stage 2 Cams.

Unhappy Start Up Problems with Stage 2 Cams.

I've have problems for about 2 years now starting my 2006 Cobalt. I have replace spark plus, fuel pump, starter etc with no change really. I have play with spark and fueling and nothing seems to work. I try to start my car and it usually just starts on the second try. Does anyone have tips on what could be wrong?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Tuner in Training
    More info would help. The more you give these guys on here, the better they can help you. Did it start right after installing the cams? After it sits overnight? Does it happen every time? How old are the injectors, engine, etc..? Have you already checked for vac leaks around intakes, sc, vac lines, etc..? Do all the spark plug look the same? Does the car run well other than start up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyunionworker View Post
    More info would help. The more you give these guys on here, the better they can help you. Did it start right after installing the cams? After it sits overnight? Does it happen every time? How old are the injectors, engine, etc..? Have you already checked for vac leaks around intakes, sc, vac lines, etc..? Do all the spark plug look the same? Does the car run well other than start up?
    It was after the cams. It seems to be related to that.

I have check for Vac leaks and it all seems fine.

It is mostly everytime. The First try rarely works and then it seems to start up immediately on the second key turn.

The injectors do have 120k on them at least. (Should I take them out and clean them?)

The sparks all look the same. I have tried several gaps and sets with the same conclusion.

The car runs great and tuning seems to be quite accurate.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Quote Originally Posted by redhotjamedjimi View Post
    I've have problems for about 2 years now starting my 2006 Cobalt. I have replace spark plus, fuel pump, starter etc with no change really. I have play with spark and fueling and nothing seems to work. I try to start my car and it usually just starts on the second try. Does anyone have tips on what could be wrong?
    There was an "issue" with a batch of ZZP stage 2 cams; the base circle diameter was too big, so your valves stuck a bit open. So check that first.
    2nd is the cam sensor timing, but that should throw a code if not timed correctly.