Thread: Very odd P2104 and P2112 codes

Tuner in Training

Very odd P2104 and P2112 codes

2007 Mustang 3V, 2.8 Kenne Bell with dual 75mm throttle body. Car ran fine prior to scanning and re-flashed the tune (no changes made to the tune). The car will start but dies with P2104 (Throttle Actuator Forced Idle) and P2112 (Throttle Actuator Stuck Closed) codes. With the key ON, engine OFF, the throttle body opens and closes as it should with the accelerator pedal, and the TPS voltage reads correct. At a bit of a loss here, anyone have some thoughts on this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    Had this happen to me, i believe the car does a throttle actuator test when its reflashed. My throttle return spring popped off and needed to be reset. Look Into that and it should fix your issue,

Tuner in Training
    The spring is in the correct position. Physically pushing the blades open, they snap back without issue. With key ON, engine OFF, pushing on the accelerator the TB blades open fully. Therefore, it doesn't appear to be mechanical issue with the TB itself.

I can clear the (2) codes. However, just turning the key to the ON position , not starting the car, the (2) codes (P2112, P2104) return. I've tried 2 different TPS sensors with our any luck.
    Last edited by BlownGTvert; 07-12-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    2014 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    I was able to adjust the TB and get the TPS voltage at OEM 1.25V. The car fired right up. I then adjusted the TB to get back to the Kenne Bell TPS voltage of .69V. Shut the car off and it fired right up. So there must be an TB actuator test of some sort during a Reflash as stated above. It doesn't like the lower .69v TPS voltage after flashing the ECM. Anyone know how to fix this issue in the software?
    2014 Camaro SS

That is not a tune issue, no matter what you have in the tune, even stock, if just by turning the key on you get the wrench while the TB is running its checks, that is a hardware issue, quite sure that POS KB TB just wore up, take the motor out and look for brass residue.

Tuner in Training
    I took it apart, the gears are spotless inside. Newer actuator motor and TPS sensor as well. Mechanically it moves freely and the car runs perfect. The P2112 code only is present after flashing the ECM.
    2014 Camaro SS

Ok, be prepared for them to go away with use and to be told by KB to f**k off and get a new POS one. We ended replacing them with plastic gears of stock TBs to get them to work, no problems so far.

What PCM code is yours? EVX1 (FPAG0G5 if I can trust my memory)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lito View Post
    Ok, be prepared for them to go away with use and to be told by KB to f**k off and get a new POS one. We ended replacing them with plastic gears of stock TBs to get them to work, no problems so far.

What PCM code is yours? EVX1 (FPAG0G5 if I can trust my memory)
    PCM code is XZE2.
    2014 Camaro SS

Then I ran out of suggestions, EVX1 tend to give this wrench for a couple of key cycles and then won't bother again, that is what I suggested.

If the wrench comes with just KOEO there is usually a hardware issue, never had issues with XZE2 flashes and I've easily tuned over 50 of those codes alone. Have your stock TB to test?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lito View Post
    Then I ran out of suggestions, EVX1 tend to give this wrench for a couple of key cycles and then won't bother again, that is what I suggested.

If the wrench comes with just KOEO there is usually a hardware issue, never had issues with XZE2 flashes and I've easily tuned over 50 of those codes alone. Have your stock TB to test?
    With the stock TB there is no P2112 error. The Kenne Bell TB gives the P2112 error. Again the error with the Kenne Bell TB only happens after flashing the ECM. Adjust the Kenne Bell TB to have 1.25v at the TPS and no error. So this appears to be directly related to the KEnne Bell TB being set at the lower voltage. I called Kenne Bell and confirmed that their TB should be set with .69V at the TPS.

I could just set the Kenne Bell TB with 1.25V at the TPS to resolve the P2112 issue. But I assume the ETC tables would need to be adjusted to compensate for the blades being open further.
    2014 Camaro SS

I am sorry but I don't trust anything that KB says anymore, just set it the way it works and tune that POS away. They are the same guys that shipped KB tunes for their S197 kits with 23* of timing or telling people to install BAPs after the FPDM initially and their problem is not that they make mistakes, is that they as the perpetual know it all, all the rest is shit that I can't stand. If they were really worried with things and quality they would not ever make a brass gear for a TB ever again.

/rant.

Again, just put it were it works for you and tune it, the S197 platform is great as it uses TP_RELATIVE for everything so it doesn't matter much where your voltage is set at, just set it where your equizzer/IPC is happy and be done with it.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the advise, it has been helpful! I will adjust the TB to raise the TPS voltage and tune any idle issues that may arise.
    2014 Camaro SS

Potential Tuner
    I know it's an old thread...

Don't know if this is related but I have the KB 75mm t/body on my car - I had to get the ETC_DEF_ANG value changed from 7.625 to 0 to get the t/body not to throw codes. It was done with SCT, though. KB provided me with a stock file for my car that had that change made.

Wanted to thank BlownGTvert for posting his "fix" for P2104 following a simple HPT read. After adjusting the throttle blades out for 1.25 volts engine off/key on we were finally able to get the car back out of Safe Mode.