Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feels like I am trying to hit a moving target. Logging VE error

Senior Tuner
    Yeah, it's difficult getting the higher RPM stuff on the street.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Yeah, it's difficult getting the higher RPM stuff on the street.
    Lower gears, higher hills....:-)

On a serious note, you can use trending in some cases to help at least populate cells that are tough to reach based on lower data you have logged. One of the great things from Greg Banishs' book "Designing and Tuning High Performance Fuel Injector Systems" is the section on Linear MAP and MAF relationships. The gist is as the manifold pressure is increasing, so must the the cylinder fill...At a particular rpm this realtionship is linear, and predictable. Based on this, and if you are starting with a reasonably shaped VE curve, you can plot ot the delta slope of the change over an RPM value as map is changing and carry that delta slope across the map cells you couldn't attain....its a good approximation and gets you into the ball park. After that, logging, smoothing and hand massaging should finish the job.

I set up a very rudimentary excel tool a couple of years ago to help with Boosted cars especially. I'll include it here but remember it is very rough...but works :-)

Extrapolate VE worksheet stock 2004 m6 example to 199 kpa.xlsx

Thanks,

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-14-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]