Thread: 06 Mustang GT return fuel conversion

Tuner in Training

06 Mustang GT return fuel conversion

Hey guy, working on a buddy's car which he converted to return system with a 340lph pump and aeromotive regulator set to 43.5 psi. This is a turbo car seeing no more than 12 psi. I know the mustang has low mass and high mass fueling. I'm wondering if there is anything special i need to do other than adjust the maf scaling to hit my afr targets. Any settings need tweeked etc.

Tuner in Training
    I have my base fuel pressure set closer to OEM @ 40psi. I have ID1000 injectors and used their spec sheet for a 40psi return system to get the updated injector data detail to enter into the software. I assume that you have a 1:1 boost referenced regulator with the vac/boost lined connected from the manifold. You will want to leave the OEM FP rail sensor in place for datalog purposes. I would also turn off of the DTC codes related to the OEM pump. I don't recall changing much else in tune off the top of my head.
    2014 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    Perfect, just what i wanted to hear. He has ford racing 60lb'ers. So i should be able to just use the information they give on fords website for the info, as it should still be correct if i back the base fuel pressure down to oem?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kill3rwill View Post
    Perfect, just what i wanted to hear. He has ford racing 60lb'ers. So i should be able to just use the information they give on fords website for the info, as it should still be correct if i back the base fuel pressure down to oem?
    Yes the injector data is given at a base pressure of 39.1 psi. So you should match that on the regulator.
    2014 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    OK another issue. It has next to no fuel pressure. It varies slightly at idle, but drops into the teens under load, major lean out. The owner installed a return system in the car, including the pump. But just realized he left the stock wiring to power it. This leads me to believe it's running low voltage like the stock pump instead of a constant 12+ volts. Theoretically can I adjust the fuel pump tables on the tune to provide max voltage all the time? Or should I just hardwire the pump to a relay with the key on. If the tuning option will work it will be much easier.

Tuner in Training
    Hardwire the pump with proper gauge wire and fuse. Use a relay that's triggered from the ignition source to run the pump when the key is 'ON'. The white wire on the FPDM is an option located in the trunk to trigger the relay. Then set the base pressure to 40 at the regulator.
    2014 Camaro SS

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply again. Looking online I saw more than a few people who just Max out the stock voltage tables in the tune and it works fine. At the same time the stock wiring is probably inadequate for high loads. If I run the relay can I cut the stock fuel pump power wire and feed into that? If so are you aware what color wire it is. Haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram yet

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kill3rwill View Post
    Thanks for the reply again. Looking online I saw more than a few people who just Max out the stock voltage tables in the tune and it works fine. At the same time the stock wiring is probably inadequate for high loads. If I run the relay can I cut the stock fuel pump power wire and feed into that? If so are you aware what color wire it is. Haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram yet
    I would not use the stock supply voltage wire to that Aeromotive pump. It will require a #10 gauge 12v supply with a 30a fuse. Typically I run the power from the alternator stud, inside the car under the door sill panel, to the pump.

I've also seen a #10 wire run from the stock pump relay under the hood to the new pump.
    2014 Camaro SS