Thread: Trans Torque Management Settings

Advanced Tuner

Trans Torque Management Settings

I've never really understood the following Transmission Toeque Management parameters and what they really do. Can anyone help shed some light on any of these?

1. Diff Score (Enabled/DIsabled - Master enable/disable for transmission differential scoring torque reduction calculations). What the hell does this really do - what effect does it have on the car while driving?

2. Stall Torque Mgt (Enable RPM/Disable RPM - If Engine RPM is greater than (or less than for disable RPM) this stall torque management mode is enabled). Again, what effect does this really have? I've read that it will not allow the engine RPMs to exceed the Enable RPM while the brakes are applied - but isn't that really what "Brake Torque Management" does?? How is this different than brake torque management?

3. Under the "TCC Limit" heading:
    - Tq Reduction (Enabled/Disabled - Master enable/disable for transmission TCC limit torque reduction calculations). Same as above, what does this actually do?
    - Max Torque (Maxium TCC Limit Torque. Should be higher than maxium engine torque when TCC Limit is disabled). Once again, no idea what this really does.

4. All fo the settings under "Limit TqMgt" - While I understand what the "Tip-In TqMgt" and "Flare TqMgt" setting do, I have absolutely no idea what these ones really do. Anyone?

Thanks for any insight you can provide on any of these!

Diff score is to protect the differential pin from scoring from abuse. (One wheel peel) Front wheel drive transaxles are very prone to damage this way. If the pcm detects a scoring event it'll reduce timing/power to limit wheelspin. (very rudimentary traction control.)

Stall torque prevents the torque converter from being damaged from foot brake stalling, or abuse where the drivetrain is locked and heavy throttle is applied at zero or near zero road speed..

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you very much! And here I thougt that "differential scoring" was regarding some sort of "scoring" system (as in points) to determine if the differential was being abused - not physical "scoring"! :-) <sigh>

I really appreciate the info!

Anyone want to take a stab or #3 or #4?

*Bump*
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone care to take a stab at number 3 or 4 above? I'd really love to know what #4 is all about!

Thanks!

3 limits torque when torque converter clutch is applied
    4 limits torque when trans is in hot mode

Advanced Tuner
    Awseome! Thank you very much. Sounds like I don't really need to be concerned with either of them then.

I do have on follow-up question - where is the trans 'hot" temperature defined? If it's not tunable, any idea what it would be on the 6T70? I've always wondered when the "trans hot" settings (shift settings, etc) would kick in...

Thanks a lot - I really appreicate the info! You've been extremely helpful on quite a few of my question threads!

As far as the shift tables I don't see where the HOT mode temp is defined. But once the torque limit for hot is exceeded there is not going to much shifting going to take place anyways.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I was just kinda curious what temp is considered HOT for the 6T70 - mainly just so I know if my trans is overheating. WHile logging, even during VERY hot days (95F+ ambient air temp), my trans temp never exceeds 210F and is usually under 200F, which I'm assuming is within the normal operating temperature for this trans. I think I remember seeing something like 260F as being "overheated", but not sure if that is correct or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Actually, I completely forgot that the Trans "Limit Torque Management" settings have as associated "Enable Temp", which is '-427F' in my stock tune - so these settings don't appear to be "trans hot" related since they are apparently enabled at all temps.

Any other ideas besides them only being for "trans hot" usage? Like what they do if they're not specifically related to "trans hot" situations?

Thanks!