Thread: 2500 stall tuning

Advanced Tuner

2500 stall tuning

Ok guys, I have pretty much nailed down part throttle shifting, I multiplied those by and it seems to do well. I havent touched the TCC lockup so far or the WOT shifts. I need to know what I would need to change on the WOT shifting and the torque converter lockups. Any ideas.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Chris,
    TCC is rather subjective. But here's a stab at it:
    You generally don't want the TCC to pull the engine RPM down more than about 5-700 RPM Max. (Unless you are light - medium throttle & the converter is doing it's slippy slippy dance). At high throttle settings you want it off anyway.

Log your TPS%, MPH, RPM & TCC. add in the TCC Lock & Unlock status bits as well. That will get you in the ballpark of where you are and where you want to be.

TCC Unlock usually needs to be 5-10 MPH under the lock state at the same TPS. At higher TPS they get a little closer.

Start by moving the lower TPS settings down 3-5 MPH. See how you like it. If it sucks, move 'em up 3-5 over the start settings. Then move up the TPS band until you get them where you want them.

Shift points are a bit easier. You can command the TCC off in the scanner and just run around logging until you find the "happy" place.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Also, have the TCC release points above the previous gear upshift. Otherwise you will downshift before you release the TCC, which sometime all you need is a little rpm boost and not a different gear. I typically like setting my shift points first, to where I like them. Then allow plenty of room for TCC functions.

Advanced Tuner
    So you want the TCC release settings above the shiftpoints. But how far ahead of that do you want them to apply? Is there just a general rule on how far apart these things should be?

Chris

Senior Tuner
    Take a look at my two bin files, they are from my 2001 Camaro SS (4L60E, 3.73s, 300 B&M Stall) and my 2002 1500HD (4L80E, 3.73s, stock). You will notice that the upshift and TCC apply/release graphs do not intersect, also the TCC release and downshifts graphs do not cross. I have used this as a foundation for many persons' trans tunes and everyone is very happy with it. But in reality it is all personal preferrence. You may want lower/higher rpms for your shift points (part throttle) or more/less rpms for the TCC. Based on if you have a stock damper or aftermarket HD unit.
    Last edited by 12secSS; 04-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks alot man!I see what your talking about, I will try that out tomorrow and see how that goes.

Chris

Advanced Tuner
    ok here is my bin file.....if I got what you guys are talking about, I found where I want it to lock at, the shift points are perfect, I just need to see if I have these release settings right.

Chris

Senior Tuner
    Everything looks good, except the 4th apply at 75% TPS. You either need to make the apply 256, as compared your 3 -> 4 upshift, or raise it above your up shift speed.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks buddy, I tried it and it worked out well, time for some wideband tuning now!

Chris