Thread: Brand New 15 GT - dead spots = KR :(

Tuner

Brand New 15 GT - dead spots = KR?

Traded in my base Race Red Ecoboost for a base Ruby Red GT.

Has anyone else had this issue?:

On the test drive of the GT I thought I felt some random "dead spots" in low rpm, low/medium to high load.

I chalked it up to the water on the road creating resistance and slowing my momentum.

I decide to trade and get the GT. It had 150 miles on it. I've turned the odometer to 320 since.

When test driving the GT, the gas tank was about half full. Not sure of what octane, brand, or freshness though.

I told the salesman to fill it up with 93 or not at all. Off he went and filled up with 93, or so he said. I have no reason to doubt him, he's a nice guy who sold me my Ecoboost, as well.

Anyway, I drive it to work directly from the lot after signing paperwork. It's still raining like crazy and the dead spots are still there but there were tons of puddles to help the dead spots feel like water resistance. Same thing on the way home.

The next morning it's dry. I head to work and feel even worse dead spots. low/medium load to high load, basically all through the power band.

One day later I hookup my HPTUNERS scanner and confirmed the dead spots are indeed knock retard. Massive amounts. the more load the worse it is. Like 10 degrees knock retard in 6th gear at a mediumish load. Every gear is like that, though depending on the load. Even light throttle in 2nd going up a small hill.

6th gear feels like a turd. Almost like the car is going backwards. My old ecoboost would smoke this thing in 5th and 6th.

I run down to a half a tank and throw more 93 in from QT. Take it for a drive to mix up the gas good and the same thing is present... tons of KR and dead spots... which correlate to each other. As soon as I feel the dead spot I see the scanner shows KR.

I've driven cars that require
    Premium fuel with regular fuel in them and they never acted like this. Usually the computer would use an algorithm and use a blend of spark tables when it thinks low octane fuel is being used. Driving should be seemless, but maybe a little less power than if you were running premium.

The car is not suppose to run ok, then dead spot, run ok, dead spot, dead spots and KR climbs as load climbs, etc.

Now, I'm new to the coyote engine and even newer to this new ecu they have in the MY15 Mustang GT. I come from the LSX GM side. I traded my C6 for an ecoboost, then the Ecoboost for the GT. My Ecoboost ran 87 just fine, by the way. I miss it in a way, but I can tell that this GT could probably almost hang with my old C6 Vette if it wasn't for this KR.

Anyway, if using anything but premium will cause this issue, then it makes sense that the half tank of fuel when I was test driving was 87 and my salesman could have accidentally put 87 in again.

But after me running it down half a tank and topping off with 93, I should have noticed at least a little less KR. I'm not, though.

I talked to my salesman today and he told me to drive it for a few more days, fill the whole tank with 93, and return for service if the car is still doing the same thing.

I do a long test drive and run my scanner before I buy a used car. I should have done so with this car before I bought it. Frustrated! Never thought about scanning a new car's parameters during a test drive before this. Stupid me.

I can post hp tuners logs later, or convert the logs to .csv and post.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 07-05-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Changing title from a statement to a question.

Tuner
    I also forgot to mention that I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to "reset" the computer. That made no difference.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you seeing a positive or negative KR?

Advanced Tuner
    Use a more reputable gas. Do you have a Sunoco there?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Are you seeing a positive or negative KR?
    Positive.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Use a more reputable gas. Do you have a Sunoco there?
    There are a few Suncos around here. I never had any issues with the big gas stations around here. Maybe QT has been given a bad batch of gas. Maybe my salesman used a QT that got that bad batch of gas as well.

Who knows.

I do know I'm going to try to empty this tank the best I can and try some unleaded "race gas" to see if the KR will stop knock retard will stop then.

Maybe the exhaust is banging around under this new car causing false knock? All I know is this car is damn quiet and makes no extra "noises" to me. This is a quiet engine and exhaust system. Quieter than my stock Ecoboost was.
    Last edited by CarsonTech; 07-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Tuner
    Log file attached to the original post. It was recorded with Scanner version 2.25.2188.

Advanced Tuner
    Positive KR with HPT scanner is adding timing, not pulling. You are not seeing knock.

Tuner
    Positive KR with HPT scanner is adding timing, not pulling. You are not seeing knock.
    Did you take a look at my log? I can see where timing is retarded along with the KR, and sometimes not. This KR PID is confusing, if that's the case.

Weird. Perhaps I'm feeling the cam phasers changing the velocity of the air. Maybe Fords stock tune slows down the velocity too much causing a drop in torque. Which I feel.

I guess, I'm not used to variable valve timing applications.

My butt dyno says the power I'm feeling isn't linier. Example: I feel great torque, then a plateau, then a tad more torque, then meh up the RPM range... That doesn't seem normal.

Its weird that the plateau/dead-spot comes in as timing is added, if that's what is really happening.

I guessing some dyno time and/or time slips will tell.

Part throttle just doesn't feel right. The other GTs I drove didn't feel like this, but I will try to get some more seat time in another to compare.

Maybe I'll play with the track apps once I break this thing in a little more.

Tuner
    Ok..update. Took it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd full throttle for one time. Never have done that on this particular car yet. Full throttle appears to be fine and pulls hard through those gears. Guess it's just me.

5th and 6th still feel sluggish compared to my Ecoboost but that could just be me.

I still need to work out if the KR I'm seeing in HP Tuners is KR or some kind of reverse KR or some kind of total that correlates to the spark advance.

Hopefully what I feel in the part throttle for this car is normal and I can stop worrying about it.

Advanced Tuner

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CarsonTech View Post
    Ok..update. Took it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd full throttle for one time. Never have done that on this particular car yet. Full throttle appears to be fine and pulls hard through those gears. Guess it's just me.

5th and 6th still feel sluggish compared to my Ecoboost but that could just be me.

I still need to work out if the KR I'm seeing in HP Tuners is KR or some kind of reverse KR or some kind of total that correlates to the spark advance.

Hopefully what I feel in the part throttle for this car is normal and I can stop worrying about it.
    If you want to see what's going on, you need to log mapped points and you can see how it transitions from one map to another. Very cool stuff. You may be able to see a correlation between changing maps and what you perceive as a dead spot.

When you are cruising at part throttle, the PCM is moving from 1 map to another. Each mapped point has it's own spark, vct and sd. When you go WOT, it only uses 1 map for OP. The 15 has 28 mapped points and 25 are them are being used in the stock tune.

I've been down the road trying to figure out KR with 2.25 scanner. The first time I used it, I had 8* of KR and I was freaking out because I though it was knock. I'm running 13# of boost and if I had that much knock, I'm pretty sure my motor would have melted.

Good luck!
    Last edited by txcharlie; 07-05-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to see what's going on, you need to log mapped points and you can see how it transitions from one map to another. Very cool stuff. You may be able to see a correlation between changing maps and what you perceive as a dead spot.

When you are cruising at part throttle, the PCM is moving from 1 map to another. Each mapped point has it's own spark, vct and sd. When you go WOT, it only uses 1 map for OP. The 15 has 28 mapped points and 26 are them are being used in the stock tune.

I've been down the road trying to figure out KR with 2.25 scanner. The first time I used it, I had 8* of KR and I was freaking out because I though it was knock. I'm running 13# of boost and if I had that much knock, I'm pretty sure my motor would have melted.

Good luck!
    ...to add, the '15's do not have the Optimum Power mapped point enabled....much like the F150. IMO I would enable that mapped point and tune wot off of that.

Tuner
    Roger that guys. Thanks for the info.

I didn't thank mapped points were ready yet in the hp tuners scanner. I'Il download the latest beta and look again. I will probably need to delete that file in the scannerģvehicle folder so I can get a nice fresh rescan of supported PIDS when I connect to the car again.

Tuner
    Variable intake runners may he what I'm feeling. I still need to look at a 2015 stock tune. All I've been doing is scanning. Hard to know what's suppose to be happening if I havnt even looked at the tune. LoL

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26641

Tuned my 15 on the dyno the other day. Took me a while to figure out that the KR was in fact opposite of what I'm used to in the GM world. haha. Its definitely an eye opener on that first hit!
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

No need to delete the stuff in the vehicles folder now. It will auto repoll.

2015 Mustang GT DMRS are working across all OSIDs
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

awesome!
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!