Thread: Car just Dies !!! Help

Tuner in Training

Car just Dies !!! Help

Hello. Buddies car has been running for about a month. LS1 with turbo . We have been getting closer with tune
    thinking we are close enough to bring to a dyno. All of a sudden, this problem showed up. It justs shuts off when
    it starts to build boost. WE used to rev to 6000 and 8lbs boost and Afr was rich but safe . Now look at the log. Frame 475 then 476. inj duty-pulse fall off. Map drops. Throttle pos the same until he lifts because it stumbles then dies. Fuel pressure
    falls in less then a sec. Argh. Checked all fuel pump wiring. Not sure what happens first. Car dies , pump shuts off or pump
    shuts off then car dies? Really hard on mtr trying to figure this out. Log and Cfg. Please look and any Ideas for us.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Why is your MAP sensor reading 44.7 kPa with engine not running? (rpm = 0)

Tuner in Training
    Weird isn't it! Could the map sensor be causing all of this? This thing ran pretty good for a month. Car runs fine until it goes into boost.
    Fuel pressure has me worried also. Why would it drop so fast? I thought the pump runs for a little while even if the can dies. 2 Sec?

Tuner in Training
    Using 200 and 10.33 offset

Need to post a copy of the tune. Any DTC's? Could be reduced engine power except timing stays up? Connections to MAP or electrical. With key on and engine off, what does the MAP read?

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    No codes thrown. I will ask him to check Map. Weird it ran good for so long. Even went back a few tunes to see if some software glitch but same problem. He lives 60 miles from me so I have not seen the car since this started. Just trying to get some ideas and a plan so when I can get to the car we can make some progress.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I guess He has to crank it a while before it restarts then all is fine again. Looks like it happens around 147-155 KPA.
    Just noticed on the tune PO106 DTC is disabled. Should I enable it to see if it throws a code?

Tuner in Training
    Ok. Finally made it to the car, It is throwing a code p1635. 5 volt. We are also using the egr 5 v for the FP sensor. So thinking
    either the map is going to ground at around 145-147 kpa and pulling the volts down causing the Fuel pressure to appear as it is dropping
    or we have other wiring probs. You can see map reads weird right after 147kpa. also. Happens every time at that boost range. No other time.
    Wiring looks ok. Car ran good for a month than $hit. Anybody see this with a MAP before? I ordered a cobalt 12615136 but we live in the sticks so
    3-4 days out. Can I put the 1 bar map back in and just change the Linear and offset back to 1 bar or do I have to revert the OS to 1 bar.
    Don't want to do that as all of my VE timing tables are very old on my 1 bar OS. Just want to see if we can get over 4000 rpms to rule out any other prob. IE see if Fuel press stays up. We have a WB so we can watch AFR and I can rape the PE table to keep it close. Just don't want to wait 4 days and then it still has the same prob with new Map.
    THanks

Tuner in Training
    Update. Installed new Cobalt MAP. Yep. Problem gone. Go figure. He had a cheap 2bar map off of E-bay. I wont mention the seller but they sell
    injectors also. Lesson learned. Bad MAP pulled down 5V bus and made it appear that we lost Fuel pressure causing the bogging-killing of the engine. So after a week of chasing a fake fueling problem we can now think about Dyno time and POWER CRUISE USA.
    Thanks to the two guys that posted for us.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by jhertel View Post
    Update. Installed new Cobalt MAP. Yep. Problem gone. Go figure. He had a cheap 2bar map off of E-bay. I wont mention the seller but they sell
    injectors also. Lesson learned. Bad MAP pulled down 5V bus and made it appear that we lost Fuel pressure causing the bogging-killing of the engine. So after a week of chasing a fake fueling problem we can now think about Dyno time and POWER CRUISE USA.
    Thanks to the two guys that posted for us.
    CYA
    Thanks for the follow-up and divulging the cure. We all will add that to our little tuning books

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]