Thread: Ways to increase sensitivity for a built 4L60E

Ways to increase sensitivity for a built 4L60E

I want more control over the shift firmness and quickness, particularly the firmness, at the same speed and rpm one shift will "feel" right on and the next to hard or soft, now I am using only whole numbers, like 1-2 shift at 100 Ft lb I have a 5 and maybe it is to hard of a shift and a 4 is to soft, is there a way to increase the sensitivity or do I have to get into the decimal place to do so?
    2002 WS-6, Built A-4, 3000 stall, Lid and K&N, ported TB, 220/224, .551, 114 LSA, roller rockers, LT's, 2.5" true duals with X-pipe, Koni adjustable front and Bilstein rears with Hotchkis springs, front bar and bushings, welded SFC's, boxed LCA's., Midnight Blue trimmed in silver, silver face gauges, custom hood bird, HPT (with lot's of tuning)

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue02WS6 View Post
    I want more control over the shift firmness and quickness, particularly the firmness, at the same speed and rpm one shift will "feel" right on and the next to hard or soft, now I am using only whole numbers, like 1-2 shift at 100 Ft lb I have a 5 and maybe it is to hard of a shift and a 4 is to soft, is there a way to increase the sensitivity or do I have to get into the decimal place to do so?
    What are your trans shift times at? If you have never adjusted them I would try that stock they are set to like .500+ nearly in every cell (example 1) its safe to set them at .250 that's what mine are set at seems just right to me with the firmness I would definetly try this before adjusting pressures. Once you get the quickness dialed in your looking for but if it isn't firm enough or maybe to firm now you could either back some of the shift times accordly or you can play with the pressures theres a table just for pressures during upshifts and downshifts so if its too harsh or still to soft you could always reduce it there (example 2).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are mine now, I have been making small changes to them at the same time, with my built 4L60E these "feel" pretty good, just trying to get them right on and they are close, just strange that one time the shift pressure/firmness will feel right on and the next to soft or hard, i need to find the sweet spot in the middle .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blue02WS6; 07-03-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    2002 WS-6, Built A-4, 3000 stall, Lid and K&N, ported TB, 220/224, .551, 114 LSA, roller rockers, LT's, 2.5" true duals with X-pipe, Koni adjustable front and Bilstein rears with Hotchkis springs, front bar and bushings, welded SFC's, boxed LCA's., Midnight Blue trimmed in silver, silver face gauges, custom hood bird, HPT (with lot's of tuning)

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have Discrete Shift Torque enabled? My understanding is that with it enabled, the trans will use the same pressure for low, mediuma and high torque shifts, which helps the shift feel more consistent. Supposedly, it allows the transmission to learn better.

If Discrete Shift Torque is disabled, it migth explain why one shift feels good, but that same shift feels differernt the next time.

At least that is my understanding...

I don't see "Discrete Shift Torque" in my ver. 2.24 but there are some new/different tables in here that I have not seen before.

Under the General Pressure tab, there is an "Steady State Adapt" which is disabled, should this be enabled?
    Last edited by Blue02WS6; 07-03-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not familair with Steady State Adapt - I'm sure someone else will chime it.

The Discrete Shft Torque setting is under Transmission->Auto Shift Properties->Shift Pressure, middle-column at the very bottom - if your tune has it. I have a T43 TCM - might be completely different than what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I'm not familair with Steady State Adapt - I'm sure someone else will chime it.

The Discrete Shft Torque setting is under Transmission->Auto Shift Properties->Shift Pressure, middle-column at the very bottom - if your tune has it. I have a T43 TCM - might be completely different than what you have.
    That would explain it, mine does not have that.

Tuner
    I was told that if you goto low on the shift times that the pcm will take over for the shift times and change them I want say anything below .200. if you look at your shift times areas under .200 are you seeing the change in feel possibly in these areas?

Tuner
    if not find a way to record the transmission oil temps and the ft lbs of torque it does it at you can alter the upshift pressure table and the base table in those areas until you get a decent feel for it I see you said built 4l60e so depending on upgrades it most likely take more line pressure but I would still alter the tables slowly til you get the right feel
    Last edited by chevypower101; 07-06-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot the last letter

Quote Originally Posted by chevypower101 View Post
    I was told that if you goto low on the shift times that the pcm will take over for the shift times and change them I want say anything below .200. if you look at your shift times areas under .200 are you seeing the change in feel possibly in these areas?
    Never heard that before but it may very well be, I may change those areas and see.