Thread: Tuning Issues or concerns with a lighten flywheel

Tuning Issues or concerns with a lighten flywheel

Are there any issues or concerns or suggestions relating to tuning a Solstice GXP car that has a lighten flywheel?

Tuner in Training
    Lighter flywheel engines tend to rev a little quicker, but have less stored energy so they get pulled down a bit more on the RPM's during a launch. The less rotating mass makes them not idle as smooth as well. Not sure how many pounds you lightened the flywheel, and perhaps maybe no changes are needed to the tune, but these are the mechanical effects of a lighter flywheel to consider.

I had a Camaro (LSI) with a lighten flywheel and now my Solstice has one. For racing, even autocross and HillClimbs there is nothing better. It does have a few minor side effect in driving but it doesn't bother my wife (who races too) or me.

I was more asking about things you should look out for when tuning or things that might happen because of it (i.e. KR, to timing spikes, or boost related) and how to tune it out of the car.

I haven't seen much on the forum about lighten flywheels cause and effect in regards to tuning.
    Last edited by TBSteck; 07-02-2015 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

Had the SPEC lightweight flywheel and stage 2+ clutch in an '08 LNF Cobalt. Misfire detection was a bit more sensitive with it and a bit harder to daily drive until I got used to it (stalls) but other than that it was ok. I don't think the cost offset the gain though.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

We have the one from DDMWorks and it is great. We did the upgrade because it is mainly a race car (autocross & HillClimbs) and secondly a daily driver. We both are kind of use to driving cars with a lighten flywheel so it doesn't bother us. This weekend my wife took Queen of the Larison Rock HillClimb and we have been racing the Solstice at this HillClimb since 2009 (annually on the 4th of July weekend) and this was the fastest she has ever gone up the Hill. She even beat her time in the LS1 Camaro by 1.5 seconds which she did that run in 2005. My wife is a pretty good driver!

Advanced Tuner
    Nice! Sounds like you got the issue you were having sorted out. What did you find to be the problem? It could possibly help someone in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    Nice! Sounds like you got the issue you were having sorted out. What did you find to be the problem? It could possibly help someone in the future.
    Problem with my car in general, I assume you are asking about? After the blown piston that flooded the exhaust with oil and killed the WB O2, I replaced it with a true GM/Delco factory one. There were no mechanical problems just a tuning issue. After starting from scratch and making adjustments to the tune, everything seems to running pretty good. The car has been through one pretty hard race, a HillClimb with a lot of WOT in 3rd throughout the almost 2 miles of steep terrain. We have an autocross in 4 weeks and we will see how it does in 2nd gear on a flat surface.

The new 18x11 wheels with 315 Hoosier worked like a dream. I think Hoosier put super glue in the rubber compound of the R7's because they did stick! I love my Hoosiers!

All I will say, after a extremely nice gentlemen helped me, my car runs like I want it to, fast, scary fast.
    Last edited by TBSteck; 07-06-2015 at 02:24 PM.