Thread: tuning a bigger turbo cobat ss need help.

Tuner in Training

tuning a bigger turbo cobat ss need help.

hey guys, so im tuning a bigger turbo, its a k04r. not much bigger than stock but flows a lot more air than stock. and im having troube dialing it in. im new to tuning so forgive my stupid questions, ideas, and tunes when i post them.. anyways im curious about AFR on a bigger turbo. on the stock turbo i had all 80-100% load set to .88. with the bigger turbo i left it at .88 and was getting serious knock. up to 6*. first i took timing out, and the car lost all balls, which makes sense as it was at like 2-4* up top. where it used to be up at like 11-12. so i then started fattening it up, so from 3k-4k it was at .84, then 4500-5400 is .87 then .88 to redline. so the knock went away so i started adding timing got a little timing into it and the car feels a lot better, but when i look at the maf flow numbers on a pull, im seeing a max of like ~33. and in 4th gear its as low as ~31. not sure what is causing 4th to be lower than 2nd and 3rd gear. and also, with those numbers, the fatter it is the lower the numbers, and the leaner it is the higher the numbers. like i said the car feels decent now, theres still more in it but it feels good. its on 91 octane btw, ive attached the last tune i did, i havnt logged this tune yet will be doing it later today, if someone could look at it and just see if im heading in the right direction, or if i need to start over again.. lol. well let me know thanks guys. SeanK04r91-11.hptK04R91LOG12-tune10.hpl

heres the latest log i did, and the newer tune. also attached is the tune for that log. so the log is for tune 10. the new tune is tune 11. let me know thanks alot gents.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    You need to start over with the entire cal before you pop your motor. Your fueling is way off, your high load cam changes are unnecessary and actually hindering performance, your PE is a bit backwards, DALs are unnecessarily high, your injection angle makes no sense.

Seriously, you have a bunch of tools available to you. BYT's guides are great, CCSOB's videos are great and there are all kinds of threads you can search to answer any question you might have.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ad-Information

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...357-LNF-Guides

Also, stop making long pulls until you get everything sorted. Look at your IAT's man.... Over 120*
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Advanced Tuner
    I just graphed out one of your 3rd gear pulls for fun... You're sitting at 291whp and 284wtq

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
    I just graphed out one of your 3rd gear pulls for fun... You're sitting at 291whp and 284wtq
    hey tman i appreciate you input I started over completely.. alot of the edits you told me to fix were not ones that i had made, i had bought a zzp canned tune when i had stock turbo on it, and i started with that tune to adjust this tune for my bigger turbo. since then i have changed a lot. now, i have a few questions that ive been searching trying to find an answer. can you explain flow.. and what affects it? i allways assumed that the higher the flow numbers the better, but ive recently been told its not that simple. the last log did had a max flow of 38.3lbs a minute. so im just curious how flow really works. if its not, higher the number the better. type of thing. thanks alot. if you have a link to an explanation already id appreciate it. i cant seem to find one.

Advanced Tuner
    Happy to hear it. Post up logs and your latest cal. Let's see what you're working with now.

Also, don't get caught up in the MAF/VE flow crap. It's affected by many different inputs that they can both be easily skewed. What you should focus on to see if you've made the right changes, regarding power, is 3rd gear 60-100 timed pulls (go WOT around 57-58MPH due to throttle body delay) and 40-120 or 60-130 times.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I used to look at maf solely when tuning to see what I flow, I was looking at it last night and I can see how it is scewed. And I finally saw how the maf freq is represented by a certain amount of lb/minute air. So if I chamged that maf reading, I could easily see more airflow there than its supposed to be. Or even less. I was just curious what else affects the maf number. Thanks for the info. I'll get a log today and post it.

Tuner in Training
    sparksmoothinglog7.hplheres my latest file. it has knock still and im working on that now, but this is the most recent log.
    Last edited by cptn2469; 07-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Get the KR under control before you beat on it too much. You're at 6500+ rpm with 5.1 KR running 60-100+ a couple of times. What kind of fuel are you using? You're not running much advance at WOT. Even on pump gas you should be able to run a few more degrees up top but you should first concentrate on getting your fuel trims dialed in and then work on timing and boost while continuing to keep the fuel trims in check.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cptn2469 View Post
    sparksmoothinglog7.hplheres my latest file. it has knock still and im working on that now, but this is the most recent log.
    You need to put your cam tables back to stock, first and foremost. Also, if you're reducing timing in the hopes of reducing KR, that's not the right way to do it with this controller/SIDI. Have you been reading the tutorials on how to correct fueling? I'd suggest that be your first priority. Proper fueling will help keep KR at bay. I'd also suggest backing boost down a bit. That KR is real, no doubt about it and if you're running pump 91 octane, you're going to be limited to how much boost/timing you can get away.