View Poll Results: for steady state tuning on a load bearing dyno...

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constant Speed (at different mph to hit different cells)

1 16.67%
  • Constant Engine Speed (controlled by dyno spark pickup)

5 83.33%
  • Other (please speciffy)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steady State Load Bearing Dyno Tuning Question..

Steady State Load Bearing Dyno Tuning Question..

when doing tuning on a load bearing dyno whats the correct way to do steady state corrections (VE and MAF via afr error %)?

** First option is the dyno roller speed , to hold the dyno at certain speed and the tuner seeks the cell to hit with car gears and throttle.

** Second option is to tell the dyno to hold (increase or decrease load ) to hold the engine at selected rpm with signal picked from a spark plug or reflective mark.

i am not a tuner so if there is more options let me know too add them to the poll please
    Last edited by Stuffs; 06-25-2015 at 10:31 AM.

I'm not sure what the difference between the first two options are. Then goal of steady state is to isolate cells specifically to dial them in, and you can achieve that with either option, which, to me effectively seems to be the same.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Senior Tuner
    I typically pick and RPM set point and then vary the load with the pedal to populate the cells I need.
    Jaime

Yea, I suppose you would need RPM pickup for automatics that use torque converters.

For manual transmission vehicles, I think they would be the same MPH controlled vs RPM controlled.

Senior Tuner
    I selected RPM in the poll because the VE tables in everything I've tuned reference RPM. Seems easier to me to just tell the dyno "hold 4000 RPM" than it does to watch the RPM as I change MPH to figure out what MPH I need to hold it at.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuning Addict
    I use mph, then use what ever gear I can get the trans in for rpm selection. This way I can get as much data as possible with each test pass by changing the rpms and using the load held on the dyno and throttle to dial in higher "load" areas in the cells... Only down fall to this is lower gears can overtake the dyno on the higher hp builds, so you have to pay attention to the load dials on the dyno to make sure your not overloading it and you do have to get out occassionally and change the mph settings. Typically you can set the dyno up for 3 to 4 different mph settings to get all of the sd and maf dialed in...

I can see the benefits of the rpm selection, especially on auto's, but I don't know if I like the idea of having to change the rpm settings constantly? Don't know, I may have to give it a try someday. Right now I just like being able to hit as many cells as possible without having to reset the dyno...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I use mph, then use what ever gear I can get the trans in for rpm selection. This way I can get as much data as possible with each test pass by changing the rpms and using the load held on the dyno and throttle to dial in higher "load" areas in the cells... Only down fall to this is lower gears can overtake the dyno on the higher hp builds, so you have to pay attention to the load dials on the dyno to make sure your not overloading it and you do have to get out occassionally and change the mph settings. Typically you can set the dyno up for 3 to 4 different mph settings to get all of the sd and maf dialed in...

I can see the benefits of the rpm selection, especially on auto's, but I don't know if I like the idea of having to change the rpm settings constantly? Don't know, I may have to give it a try someday. Right now I just like being able to hit as many cells as possible without having to reset the dyno...
    Its just a right arrow key stroke or 2 to advance to the next RPM Breakpoint or a left arrow to decrease....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    Its just a right arrow key stroke or 2 to advance to the next RPM Breakpoint or a left arrow to decrease....

Ed M
    Yeah...bring the keyboard into the car with you...I usually have all kinds of wires (wideband data, wideband power, HPTuners cable) under my feet...what's a few more?
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post

Ed M
    I know I don't have the dyno wired into my laptop, which requires me to get out and walk around the car everytime Just laziness I know, but the mph works out very very nicely for me Allows me to hit the most cells at one time possible...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Yeah...bring the keyboard into the car with you...I usually have all kinds of wires (wideband data, wideband power, HPTuners cable) under my feet...what's a few more?
    ^^^ Yes, I know..... But I already have my laptop in the passenger seat, all wideband and wires under or behind my feet with main wideband display hanging from the mirror, so that would have to go in the passenger floor

Funny seeing peoples reactions sometimes to all the wires hooked up and stuff hanging around their cars....

~Greg Huggins~

Sounds like we need to go wireless.

Senior Tuner
    Using a mustang dyno I first use the speedometer check function with the vehicle in direct gear and use hpt tuners to watch engine rpm. I have a sheet with the each rpm break point on the ve table and write the speed that lines up with that rpm on the sheet. I set the dyno to hold that speed and use the pedal to move my way through the table. If no one is around to run the dyno I have a wireless mouse I bring into the car that I can change the speed to the next point with.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    ^^^^ Agree :-)

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Only if you can talk NGK/ECM into making a wireless version of the trusty AFX/AFM1600.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuning Addict
    You get those handhelds out to where we can provide multiple tunes with a tuner and we won't worry about the wires or possibly a datalogger that works?

~Greg Huggins~

I use both for various setups.

Using a Digital Dyno Dynamics 450DS with a MicroFlex handheld for wireless control. Simple toggle up/down for coarse mph/rpm adjustment or left/right for fine mph/rpm adjustment. The RPM feature uses whatever tach method you are using to generate RPM. My inductive pickup works like a champ so 99% of the time its using that.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

wow thanks for the inputs!

only the mph worked on the one we are using.

when tuning a A4 stalled C5 , do i have to lock up the TC? or leave it as is and manual shit it to the desired rpm/mph/kpa cell? whats a good load % to do WOT sweeps for MAF and for SD VE model tuning?
    Last edited by Stuffs; 07-01-2015 at 09:21 PM.

I personally don't care much for the % load feature. I use either the constant steady state MPH or RPM to get a good starting point and then use controlled sweeps at a desired acceleration rate at various loads to verify acceleration fueling.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

thanks James , and what about the usage on a stalled auto car? use 3rd and lock up the converter?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    thanks James , and what about the usage on a stalled auto car? use 3rd and lock up the converter?
    ...set the 3-2 down shift to 1 mph ( I do both part throttle and wot), tc lockup in 3rd to 10 mph and release to 5mph and 3rd gear manually selected.

Voted -- constant speed :-)

Ed M

[email protected]