Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold Volume

Tuner

Intake Manifold Volume

EFI Live has a field in which you can enter Intake Manifold Volume.

Why doesn't HPTuners have that?

Intake volume.jpg

They do on certain operating systems.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veee8 View Post
    They do on certain operating systems.
    Whatever operating system which is in the ECM of a 2012 Corvette Z06 is the one with which I was working, but I do not have EFI Live. I asked another tuner who uses it. What I don't know yet is if he and I were talking about the same OS. Checking on that.

Reason I'm asking is I'm going to test an MSD intake manifold on an LS7 and the volumes are different.

Senior Tuner
    Send the file to HPTuners, and ask them to add it. I found it in the past and asked them to start adding it...I know it was added to my Camaro's OS first...so if it helps, tell them in the 2010 Camaro E38, which is OS 12637084, they have it labelled as ECM 12003 (using the 2.25 beta).

You can find it in 2.24 under Engine - Airflow - General - Intake Manifold - Manifold Volume.

In 2.25 they relocated it (to a place that makes more sense) to Engine - Fuel - Transient - General - Manifold Volume.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Send the file to HPTuners, and ask them to add it.
    ding ding ding
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    Send the file to HPTuners, and ask them to add it. I found it in the past and asked them to start adding it...I know it was added to my Camaro's OS first...so if it helps, tell them in the 2010 Camaro E38, which is OS 12637084, they have it labelled as ECM 12003 (using the 2.25 beta).

You can find it in 2.24 under Engine - Airflow - General - Intake Manifold - Manifold Volume.

In 2.25 they relocated it (to a place that makes more sense) to Engine - Fuel - Transient - General - Manifold Volume.
    When I use 2.24 with the OS in my VCM (1265349) it's not available in the location (Engine:Airflow:General) you listed. When I use 2.25 on that same VCM and OS, I do not see a location Engine:Fuel:Transient:General, all I see is Engine:Fuel:Transient and then various table selections one of which is NOT Manifold Volume.

Should I send the file to tech support?

Senior Tuner
    Post your file here first.

Are you sure you have 2.25 set to advanced? Open the software, then open your tune, then pick Edit - View - Advanced.

In 2.24...same thing, open a tune then Edit - View - Advanced.

That said...even in Basic view, the manifold volume is available...but a lot of other things are hidden.

Anyways, this screen shot is where it's located in 2.25 when it's in the file definition. If it's not there, you need to ask support to add it for you.

manifold volume.jpg
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    When I use 2.24 with the OS in my VCM (1265349) it's not available in the location (Engine:Airflow:General) you listed. When I use 2.25 on that same VCM and OS, I do not see a location Engine:Fuel:Transient:General, all I see is Engine:Fuel:Transient and then various table selections one of which is NOT Manifold Volume.

Should I send the file to tech support?
    In the past they have added access to stuff I've requested access to, so if you really need it then sending them an email and your .hpt file is probably your best bet

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    In the past they have added access to stuff I've requested access to, so if you really need it then sending them an email and your .hpt file is probably your best bet
    Well...I've emailed tech support three times since I last posted here but there has been no reply.

Well that is no good. They've always been responsive to me, so I dunno

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    You positive your e-mail went to [email protected] not [email protected]? My e-mail was doing that and I didn't realize it...if you don't send it to the correct address, it doesn't get entered into his ticket system properly, and he may not even see it.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Actually, it went to >[email protected]< only because I've sent stuff there in the past.

Could be that's the problem because I resent a fourth time and didn't get a response. I'll re-address it and send again.

Thanks for the suggestion!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Correct you should not be sending emails to my personal email.

support at hptuners.com is where your support related emails should be going now.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Bringing back yet another old thread...

LS7 seems to have a volume of 11.3 litres, but does anyone know if it includes the intake port volumes (in the heads) or just the plenum volume alone?

Here MSD intake is claimed to have a volume of 12 litres which by just looking at it and comparing to oem manifold does not look plausible.
    This would lead me to believe the intake port volumes in the cylinder heads are included as it would make more sense physically, too. The other forum had a brief discussion about this a few years back.

If this is the case, rather than trying to block all the exits and holes in the oem manifold, one could just calculate (roughly): 11.3 litres - 8 x 0.270 litres = 9.14 litres.

If MSD is said to have a 12 litre plenum volume, then the correct intake manifold volume value would be: 11.3 litres + (12 - 9.14) litres = 14.16 litres, right?

Senior Tuner
    Have you actualy seen this affect anything?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Just put in the first tune with the raised plenum volume. It changed the transient behavior in tip-out situation. Need more tests and logs to say for sure.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by barum View Post
    Bringing back yet another old thread...

LS7 seems to have a volume of 11.3 litres, but does anyone know if it includes the intake port volumes (in the heads) or just the plenum volume alone?

Here MSD intake is claimed to have a volume of 12 litres which by just looking at it and comparing to oem manifold does not look plausible.
    This would lead me to believe the intake port volumes in the cylinder heads are included as it would make more sense physically, too. The other forum had a brief discussion about this a few years back.

If this is the case, rather than trying to block all the exits and holes in the oem manifold, one could just calculate (roughly): 11.3 litres - 8 x 0.270 litres = 9.14 litres.

If MSD is said to have a 12 litre plenum volume, then the correct intake manifold volume value would be: 11.3 litres + (12 - 9.14) litres = 14.16 litres, right?
    Yes this does include the intake volume of the heads. Not sure what heads you have but I know that ls3 heads (0823) are 257cc. I have not actually calculated the rest. but that was actually fluid measurement of the heads. what I did was block off all the ports of the stock intake that came with the truck originally a 4.8 and then did the same for the intake that I am currently running. (original was 11343 cc, the stock 6.0 intake was at 14158cc, the intake that I have how ls2 with ls3 heads measure at 16878cc)

GrannySShifting I got the update with yesterday's download and changed to match current set up and my tip in and tip out transients changed as well as fuelling. (For the better)
    Last edited by ke5gnz; 05-20-2016 at 12:32 PM.

It's LS7 with ported heads and MSD intake. I ended up with 14 136 cm3 (through calculation, no measurements yet) which seems very low compared to your results.

Advanced Tuner
    I just installed an MSD. Did you ever figure this out?

Stock LS7 manifold volume is 692 cu in.
    MSD LS7 manifold volume is 1000 cu in.