Thread: Can't connect to Scanner/Editor or load/Write add PID's etc...

Tuner in Training

Can't connect to Scanner/Editor or load/Write add PID's etc...

Hello,
    It's been about two years' since I've last used my HPT Pro. (Never an issue)
    The previous laptop that I used was destroyed and I lost all of my Logs and tunes.

I purchased a brand new Laptop to use just for HPT. It's came loaded with the Windows 8 OS.

I downloaded the VCM Suite 2.24 from my HP Tuners account without any issues. However, when I open up the VCM Scanner, I'm unable to
    load in Configs, Connect to the vehicle, add PID's etc... without it immediately saying "VCM Scanner has encountered a problem. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Index was outside the bounds of the array".
    And it goes on to ask whether or not to send an error report.
    After I close this window, the program completely closes.

In editor, I'm getting the same thing. But it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I'm at a loss. And to make matters worse, I'm completely computer illiterate.

I'm wondering if I should load an older software version since my cable is fairly old? I don't know. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Dan

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running the editor off of a shortcut or out of the installed program folder? I thought I had a similar problem when I first set mine up.

Tuner in Training
    Yes on the shortcut, I pulled the programs from the C:/Program folder and drug them over to the desktop. both the Editor and Scanner.

They open up fine, I've loaded in my App. key and can see all my licenses etc... But as soon as I try and load a config, add a PID or load a tune in editor, anything, It throws up an Error window.

I'd like to try an older version of the software and see if this will make any difference. But I'm not sure where to access any of these, if they're still out there?

Thank you for responding.

Advanced Tuner
    I know what you are saying, but I only got mine to work by using the original folder in the program files. I was able to make a shortcut to the VCM suite folder on the desktop and that works.

Tuner in Training
    I'll give that a try when I get home, thank you.

any other ideas welcomed, too.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Mark,
    Thank you for stepping in an helping me out. I opened up the Editor and Scanner directly from the Program Files and it's working now!

I didn't hook up to the vehicle yet, but I think I'm going to be ready to go now. Thanks again!

Advanced Tuner
    I had a similar problem caused by the same thing.

I used a shortcut to open the program and when I tried to do a "read entire" of my ecm it got hung up and I don't remember what the warning was. So I had to close the program because it had locked up. Then the truck wouldn't start anymore. That freaked me out. I was thinking "I was just doing a read?"

I closed the program again and restarted the laptop, and then I disconnected the truck battery and hooked it back up. Then the truck started and ran fine.

I dug through a bunch of old threads,several saying they had a similar problem, then later posting "Figured it out" or "works fine now" but nothing to say what they did to fix it... Finally came a cross a thread where Bill had mentioned the app not working correctly when run from a shortcut... Problem solved.

I do have a shortcut on the desktop that points to the VCM suite folder and then open the app from there and it seems to work fine though.

I know, long story, but maybe someone down the road will find this thread and have the answer if they need it without having to ask

Advanced Tuner
    I guess were weren't the only ones

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...is-my-pcm-junk

Tuner in Training
    I just found out that my Father in law was able to transfer ALL of my old tuning files over to my new PC! I'm so stoked!
    BUT, I'm now having trouble connecting to my LC-1 WBO2 so that I can scale it and dial in the scanner. Getting closer... Thanks again Mark.

Advanced Tuner
    No problem, glad I could help. I keep thinking about writing a thread with some of the stupid problems that come up. Because, let's be honest, if there is a dumb mistake to make, I will do it. So it also gives me a viewpoint that a lot of the seasoned guys don't have any longer. They probably did it right the first time..

Sorry but I can't help with the Wideband as I don't have one yet