Thread: someone messed up my brothers tune!!

Question someone messed up my brothers tune!!

hello everyone, im new to this forum and liked to say hi to all!

my brother got a tune on his truck from someone local and this truck is now slower then the stock 5.3 it had.

it now has a -comp cam http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cca-sumlsgt100 cam
    - shorty headers
    and a cold air intake

we just bought a wide band and the hp tuner pro unit,
    got the AEM wideband hooked up and show truck is running WAY lean (like 17:1 and leaner) at idle and will be starting to make changes on it tomorrow.

I just wanted some of you pros on this site to look over this tune that this local tuner put on his truck and see what your opinions are.

we are new at tuning fuel inj engines and just getting used to the layout on the hp tuner program,
    any help would be very appreciated!

thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

No wonder it's slower, it's commanding down to 9.5 AFR at WOT. I'm sure it maxing the injectors trying to give it that much fuel. Somewhere around 12-12.5 would be ideal. 14.68/1.535 EQ ratio = 9.5ish AFR

I can't help much on the cam stuff as I haven't tuned a truck with a cam yet, but I'm sure you'll get another response or read up on how to idle tune a cammed motor.

You might also want to compare the high/low octane timing tables to a stock motor, I'd even just change them back to stock just to start over if they were changed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

The calibration details say it's a 1999 model truck, if so it would be wise to upgrade to a newer OS from a 2001-2002 truck and get bigger injectors from the same year. 01-02 calibrations are more advanced and offer far better tune-ability. Factory 99 injectors are the smallest and likely can't even put out enough fuel safely.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    The tune is 98% stock settings except for the bizarre PE settings and just a few other things like idle speed, idle airflow a little tq mqnagement removed. Some weird timing and rev limit settings. If you paid money for that tune you should ask for a refund.

Ya cost my brother $250 bucks and truck doesn't run even close to what it should, we tried getting a refund but the guy refuses to do that... don't like to mention any names but it's Jake from Northstar performance. .......

Anyone have any suggestions on say the timing map? I'm not familiar with a 5.3s timing curve, I'm used to sbc and 32-36* timing.

Also we don't have the stock tune for this truck as Jake has it.

Advanced Tuner
    From the tune repository... Stock 99 Silverado 5.3 Automatic
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie F View Post
    hello everyone, im new to this forum and liked to say hi to all!

my brother got a tune on his truck from someone local and this truck is now slower then the stock 5.3 it had.

it now has a -comp cam http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cca-sumlsgt100 cam
    - shorty headers
    and a cold air intake

we just bought a wide band and the hp tuner pro unit,
    got the AEM wideband hooked up and show truck is running WAY lean (like 17:1 and leaner) at idle and will be starting to make changes on it tomorrow.

I just wanted some of you pros on this site to look over this tune that this local tuner put on his truck and see what your opinions are.

we are new at tuning fuel inj engines and just getting used to the layout on the hp tuner program,
    any help would be very appreciated!

thanks in advance!
    Holy mother of GOD!

This is awful. Just plain awful.

I tuned my truck myself but DAMN...mine is nowhere near this. HPT should revoke his accounts for this "tooning".

Haha that's how we feel,

So now if we throw that ^^^^ stock tune on his truck, what's the first step/ first thing to adjust in getting it to idle?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm new at this as well, but there are a lot of tuning guides here.

My .02 would be to start with your VE tables and make sure those are correct. Considering you have a cam and you have changed the airflow paths.

Advanced Tuner
    Use the help file in the hptuner software. There are many guides on it as well as here in this forum. Honestly you can probably search this forum and find all you need to know. Make sure you set the wideband up right. Then change your tune back to stock..... Then start with the tuning guide to get your truck in OLSD to start tuning. Try to understand what you are doing and why you are doing instead of just switching stuff around because you read it somewhere...... There is a learning curve but, you will get it.
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

We got the truck running better (thanks to this forum) but still needs lots of work,

would you be able to tell me how to change my settings to be in OLSD?

Tuning Addict
    Make sure with the cam your retarding your injection timing. If this "tooner" didn't mess with any base fueling and it was idling at a 17 air fuel ratio, then all your fuels going out the tailpipe... You'll need to research this, but the easiest way to do it is to add to the injection boundary.

I would highly recommend reading and video tutorials before I dug in too deep... Expensive I know, but can be worth every penny
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    guy basically took your 250$ wow.. its alright no one wants to hand money back over even tho you deserve it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...919195?fref=ts

I hate thieves I wouldn't let them get away with this but maybe you should calmly and nicely post on their facebook that hey a few issues with my tune I had you guys do can you fix these areas? what are they going to do not reply? not fix it? all of their customers and soon to be customer or not will see all this. And then they should feel they have no choice to help because everyone else will feel either they don't know what they are doing tuning or if they buy a tune and it gets screwed up that they wont care or do anything to help. Then if that don't work get a sign or two and stand out front of the business on the side walk and im pretty sure they will have to fix it. you drive off 2 customers from his business whats that 250$ x2 probably better of they resolve your issue I think.. we got a lot of scam artist and thieves in florida but they can only get away with what you let them. persistence pays off. let me know if they block you or something on facebook trying to get this resolved...ive been leaving good reviews for scumbags all day :P

Haha well the honor is all yours if you want! Seeing as your on a roll lol
    I actually don't have Facebook.. lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie F View Post
    We got the truck running better (thanks to this forum) but still needs lots of work,

would you be able to tell me how to change my settings to be in OLSD?
    foff667 has an awesome write up on how to do this in the help section of the software.

Help>Working with VCM editor>Tuning How To Section>User Submitted>Speed Density
    1961 C-10 5.3 NV3500

2007 NNBS ECSB 4.8

Ok thanks a lot! I will check it out when I get home