Thread: Larger pump...still lean

Tuner in Training

Larger pump...still lean

I need some help diagnosing my lean issue on my boosted 02 Camaro. Currently I've swapped to a larger 350lph pump from an 255lph. I've also replaced my fuel filter. I'm on 91 octane using Siema Deka 60lb injectors. The car was tuned at the end of 2013 and as of last summer it started leaning out. I'm seeing A/F's above 12...reaching to the 13's:banghead :banghead. I've attached a copy of my .hpt file and I'm hoping someone can shine the light on my tune. The only thing I can think is maybe my widebands O2 is dying and not reading accurately.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Stock block, heads, Yank SS3600 stall, KY Turbo kit TC78, 3.23's, BMR Adjustable LCA's, relocation brackets

using E10? stoich to 14.07
    Last edited by Stuffs; 06-21-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I am using E10. At the time I was only looking at my gauge. I didn't have the laptop logging.
    Stock block, heads, Yank SS3600 stall, KY Turbo kit TC78, 3.23's, BMR Adjustable LCA's, relocation brackets

I would start by seeing what your wideband says while you are in the non-wot closed loop area. The narrowbands will drive the fueling to stoich and that is what you should be seeing on the wb display and the HP Tuners PID. If the PID reads different, then adjust the offset value in your wideband PID to bring it back in. If you have used the "canned WB PID, then set one up in the Configure Users Defined.

Also verify your fuel pressure at the rails when in the area's where it says it is lean.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    The PID and WB read pretty closely to one another. As far as fuel pressure goes. I'm still on stock lines and FPR without an gauge. I made some adjustments to my VE table. We'll see if that helped.

Advanced Tuner
    See what happens with your VE tweaks.
    If you start building a large hump in the VE in the areas you see lean now, that is a clue you are running out of fuel.
    Also monitor the injector duty cycle.
    The WB really needs to match closely as Ed stated.

I added a fuel pressure sensor to mine that I wired through the PCM using the unused oil pressure inputs. The pins are there and active. I wanted to know when my pressure begins to no longer track 1:1 with boost. You can also log FP using the Scanner much the same as you do with the WB.

I'm tuning a friends 6.0 single S480. He has a knockoff A1000 pump. And we are right at the edge of pump capacity. The VE has a big hump and the IDC went to 100%. Siemens Deka 60's. 58 psi base pressure.
    Ran 9.85 @ 138, but that's our limit.......this was 16 psi.

How much boost? What are you running for base fuel pressure? Boost referenced fuel pressure reg?

In the end, you might need larger lines. Feed and return should be the same size. In my opinion anyway.

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the tips. I'm also running Siemens Dekalb 60lb injectors, stock regulator. I was around 10Psi and I'm not too sure about fuel pressure. I will log my duty and see where that is. But I agree with larger lines. Once I get the funds I plan on doing an return style fuel system with an adjustable FPR. I thought the stock lines were good up to 700hp..crank? I'm also on an 6.0 liter motor myself.

Advanced Tuner
    I've no idea what side they are in a Camaro.
    You really need to check fuel pressure. Another car I tuned had the stock reg with twin pumps and the reg flat gave up. His fuel pressure rocketed to 95 psi.
    He switched to a return style setup, and all is good.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah might have to get a fuel pressure gauge. Return style is the way to go.

Senior Tuner
    i did have a walbro 450lph in the standard pump module and it was fine till 600hp then the passage thru the standard module just couldnt flow enough to keep up, so the pump might be fine just the passage could be still restricting yours maby...

Yes, could be volume vs pressure......

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    That's a very good possibility. I'll look into that.

Thanks