Thread: Questions on a trans tune

Questions on a trans tune

I just got HP Tuners so I am still learning. My friend has a 2000 Trans Am that has a stock bottom-end LS1 with mildly ported 243 cylinder heads and a 244/242 .612/.610 112lsa cam. Car also has an LS6 intake, full bolt-ons, and a mildly built 4l60E transmission with a 4k stall converter. The tune was done before the heads, LS6 intake and the trans got built. The trans ended up slipping and that's why he had it rebuilt. I understand the 4l60e is a junk trans and the stock trans wont last with a cam only LS1. But we have friend's that have went to the same guy for tunes and they all have had trans issues after. So can you guys look at the tune and tell us if the tune is junk. We havnt drove the car yet since the new mods and are a little leery. Also maybe a few pointers on the engine tune. Thanks!

Dj's 2000 Trans Am dyno don Megadeath cam.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Noticed still got a MAF Hey?...Shift times could do with some work....tcc duty cycle min 90%....The TCC Apply/Release speeds need attention and the Release TPS% change that from 100% to say 75-80%...the shift pressures ie upshift I would change that and reduce some of the pressure, run too much of that and even with a built box will not last....Main spark mate needs to be reduced in some areas ie too much timing in some places, need to log KR etc, the map needs to be smoothed ie too many dips/troughs...idle underspeed change back to std settings and see how that goes, it will dip below set idle rpm and may stall...Spark correction I.A.T needs some work, and ECT also...Knock Learn rpm (retard tab) change that 5500rpm,min rpm to 400rpm,kpa to 70kpa..Got decent valve springs ? limit not set for cam...Disable LTFT if you like...PE Eq Ratio could do with a change especially to suit that cam spec...Its not too bad but does need some work mate, particularly the trans....Cheers Bret

Thanks! I'm going to play with it some tonight and this week. I have a lot to learn and can't wait.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mods89 View Post
    Thanks! I'm going to play with it some tonight and this week. I have a lot to learn and can't wait.
    no probs , good positive attitude, us/you tuners we never stop learning lol, keep me informed mate on how you go don't hesitate to ask if need any help/advice

Sorry for the long update, went on vacation. We took the car out and it was setting a solenoid code and was not shifting into 4th. The Trans was also shifting slow. Dropped the pan and the Trans was missing one of the solenoids. He just had the trans rebuilt too. The guy brought over a new solinoid for my friend and I havnt been there to see how it drives, but he said its shifting fine now. I know he hasn't put many miles on it and is breaking in the trans.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mods89 View Post
    Sorry for the long update, went on vacation. We took the car out and it was setting a solenoid code and was not shifting into 4th. The Trans was also shifting slow. Dropped the pan and the Trans was missing one of the solenoids. He just had the trans rebuilt too. The guy brought over a new solinoid for my friend and I havnt been there to see how it drives, but he said its shifting fine now. I know he hasn't put many miles on it and is breaking in the trans.
    What's it actually breaking inside the trans Mate?...

Advanced Tuner
    Transmissions don't really have a break in cycle, at least as far as I know.

Sorry, been really busy. We haven't messed with the tune much at all. Nothing is breaking inside the trans. He was just not beating on it for a few hundred miles. I don't know if there is actually a break in period for a trans, but I've always been told to take it easy on it for a few hundred miles. Still quite the noob when it comes to tuning. I also got my car done and started to tune it but had a lifter fail. I wish there was a tuning school in Michigan that I could go to for like a weekend. haha