Thread: Limp mode with a drive by cable lq9

Tuner in Training

Limp mode with a drive by cable lq9

I don't know whats going on but im pulling what little hair I have left out. I did not tune this vehicle so I will answer questions the best that I can. I have a offroad jeep with a lq4 in it. It has lq9 pistons and a brian tooley cam. The jeep made 348rwhp through a TH400 and runs great WOT.

A few months ago I went testing at an offroad park and the jeep kept going into some kind of limp mode. It would loose all power and I could hold it WOT and it would just miss but not go more than about 3 mph. If I cycled the ignition a few times it would fix it self and run fine again. That day I threw a code (I don't remember what it was I think it was a p0120 or somewhere around that number). I remember thinking the TPS was to blame. I ran to town and got another TPS and swapped MAF's and everything seemed fine. I ran two races after that (the first one I broke after 4 miles and the other I broke after 1 but it didn't skip a beat) and it was fine for both of them.

Now fast forward to last weekend. I ran a race that was a short obstacle race, and both days my first run was a bye run. I went out and putted around off and on the gas not going fast just to learn the track. Both days the vehicle went back into this limp mode and the thing barely ran and it would pop out of the intake. It did this until I cycled the ignition and it was fine. I couldn't get to my software fast enough to datalog anything. By the time I made it back to my truck the jeep shut off. I left it off until I grabbed the software and connected but when I fired it back up it ran fine and throttle response was back. Can someone take a look at the tune? Im also going to attach a datalog I did today of it idling to see if anything looks weird to you guys. Im not sure if its in the tune or a hardware problem but I don't even know where to start looking. Thank you for your time.

Trent
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    I think I'd start with looking at immature codes in the Scanner.
    Anything that would put you into a fault ("limp") mode ought to
    leave a stamp.

TPS related, look at your endpoint voltages and see if big end
    is over 4.7 or little end under 0.6 (I think I recall 4.75V for TPS
    High and 0.5 for TPS low, would have to read the Helm books
    to be sure).

Look too at things like your ECT and IAT sensors, which can
    push excess enrichment, pull timing and so on. Should not
    be "resetting" from key cycling but can be intermittent and
    who knows, maybe get right next time cranking jostles the
    harness.

If you can induse the misbehavior at will, then logging will
    help. Not much to see when things are working normally.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
    If you can induse the misbehavior at will, then logging will
    help. Not much to see when things are working normally.
    I checked codes right after it happen and nothing was present. That's what drives me nuts. I will check tps voltage Monday or Sunday and maybe take it out in the yard and see if I can get it to act up while I'm data logging.

stupid stab in the dark but..... i have a known good lq4 and lq9 tunes. unless you swapped injectors and didn't say. start w your flow rate vs kpa setting. check your trims. like dumping 3x fuel you should.
    zach wolf stock tune.hpt
    lq9stock.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Howes View Post
    stupid stab in the dark but..... i have a known good lq4 and lq9 tunes. unless you swapped injectors and didn't say. start w your flow rate vs kpa setting. check your trims. like dumping 3x fuel you should.
    zach wolf stock tune.hpt
    lq9stock.hpt
    Im sorry I should of stated that. I have ford gt500 injectors (55 lb) but im still using a gm pressure regulator.