Thread: Strategy Differences

Advanced Tuner

Strategy Differences

Alright so in an effort to increase rev limit I switched to another strategy. I copied EVERY table, EVERY value. Not one lapse across the 2 tunes.

My original strategy had a wot lambda of .855-.865. Fuel trims were all +/- about 2%.

The new strategy...with EVERYTHING the same had a wot lambda of .780-.790 and all fuel trims were about -3%. I had a few that were slightly positive, but slight was in the fractions of percents.

What would cause this?

The new strategy also has some tip in crap that even with it zero'd will still cause a delay and spark drop off during wot shifting.

Seems like there are still a bunch of tables missing.

Original strategy: FPDL5A2, new strategy is FPRD1F5.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Advanced Tuner
    Apparently strategies are mysterious. I could not find any info on strategies and didn't received many answers to my questions. I can tell you that an experienced tuner told me he had a car with a surging issue that could not be solved. He switched strategies with everything else the same, from the hardware to every table in the tune and the surge went away.
    I hope you figure this out, as I would like to better understand what's going on.

Advanced Tuner
    Well let's see...strategy gives us either a 7700 or 8200 hard limit...and apparently also causes one tune to run fine and the same tune with another strategy to run rich.

It's not me that's got to figure anything out...this is on the hpt programmers to open up more tables. There HAS GOT TO BE some fueling tables missing.

Advanced Tuner
    This happens with SCT also. Don't think it's a HPT issue. Ford maybe, but not HPT.

Advanced Tuner
    Retuning for it isn't the end of the world. The "why" this happens is more intriguing than the work around for it. It was a "blanket" pull of fuel, right around 5% seemed to be the magic number that brought the new strategy into check.

I still don't understand how with tip in settings zero'd I still get a tip delay.

Advanced Tuner
    It's funny you mention the tip in, because I have it zeroed out too and still see it under spark source. There's another thread that Wayno started and he was seeing closed throttle decal for spark source as he was accelerating. The scanner may not be reading the spark source correctly.

Tuner in Training
    So how would one go about swapping strategies? Just grabbing a base tune from another strategy and spend 2 weeks re-entering all the changes????

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CB900F View Post
    So how would one go about swapping strategies? Just grabbing a base tune from another strategy and spend 2 weeks re-entering all the changes????
    We are hoping HPT will change the way it is done, but as it stands, this is the way to do it.

As far a copying everything over....Open the strategy that you are copying to and then open the strategy you are copying from as a compare file. Hit Ctrl 5. Right click on engine and select copy over all differences. It will not copy the x and y axis changes, so you will have to do those manually.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...640#post380640
    Last edited by txcharlie; 06-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.

So you guys understand this. The flash file that you read out has two portions. One is the code that the PCM runs, the operating system so to speak. This controls how everything is added up, calculated, etc. The second portion is the calibration. This is what you edit in our software. This is the changeable values the the code portion accesses when calculating things.

If the first 5 characters of the strategy ID is different, then there is code changes. If the last 2 characters are different, the calibration is different.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    So you guys understand this. The flash file that you read out has two portions. One is the code that the PCM runs, the operating system so to speak. This controls how everything is added up, calculated, etc. The second portion is the calibration. This is what you edit in our software. This is the changeable values the the code portion accesses when calculating things.

If the first 5 characters of the strategy ID is different, then there is code changes. If the last 2 characters are different, the calibration is different.
    Eric,
    Do you know why they have so many differences in the "Operating System" portions despite having say two cars with the same trim level and year? I could understand separate calibrations (say one to meet more stringent CARB requirements) or updates to them, but why are there so many "Operating System" differences?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post

Thanks Eric! That's the best explanation I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Thanks Eric! That's the best explanation I have heard.
    +1 !

Advanced Tuner
    I'm an advanced tuner now!! LOL!
    Last edited by txcharlie; 06-19-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I'm an advanced tuner now!! LOL!
    Congratulations.