Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 GTO MAP issues

2006 GTO MAP issues

Hi, have an LS2 in a 2006 GTO, mostly stock except for a cam. Cam has a lot of timing, 278 intake, 315 exhaust duration, .540" lift. Just starting out tuning, I added 15% to the VE and it got it workable. It idles sort of lumpy but ok, would stall on decel so I messed with the DFCO a little to help. Main problem is the MAP reads high at higher RPMS, 340 Kpa or so. I logged it and its here, you can see it gets to around 4500 rpm and suddenly goes to low power mode, and the codes are for MAP/ MAF, P0068. I tried another MAP sensor and it did it again so I don't think its the sensor itself. Confused, the MAP can only get to 100 or so without boost... ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't rape PE tables cause I don't know what I am doing anyway....

Senior Tuner
    I can't look at your log at work, but once you get your MAF and VE calibrated, the P0068 may take care of itself, otherwise, you may need to tweak the Airflow Correlation checks for P0068 in the Diagnostic section.

As for the logged value, I would make sure you are logging the correct PID and that the units are correct. Are you using the MAP (SAE) PID?
    Jaime

Am using the MAP PID that HPT came with, nothing different, not sure if that is it. I am confused, I guess, how a sensor can return values that have to be wrong, that is like 45 psi, and the program should not be able to change it's output, just what it does with that output, correct?

Senior Tuner
    In HP if you right click on the scanner value, you can change the units from the default.

They may just have the scaling wrong so I would report it to support as a bug in the scanner.

There isn't a single reading over 97kpa for the MAP sensor in that log

The MAF g/sec value does get up to nearly 200, but that's the highest thing I see

So, are you looking at the wrong PID?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    What is the duration of the cam at .050 lift and what is the LSA?

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    There isn't a single reading over 97kpa for the MAP sensor in that log

The MAF g/sec value does get up to nearly 200, but that's the highest thing I see

So, are you looking at the wrong PID?
    At frame 109 MAP is off the chart at 329 Kpa, just before the engine goes into low power mode. I only have the chart displaying up to 105.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    What is the duration of the cam at .050 lift and what is the LSA?
    I don't have the specs for the cam at .050 here but think I can get them. Not sure what LSA is, but lobe centers are 117 degrees and overlap is 62.5 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    At frame 109 MAP is off the chart at 329 Kpa, just before the engine goes into low power mode. I only have the chart displaying up to 105.
    No, it doesn't.

108.jpg

109.JPG

110.JPG
    Last edited by schpenxel; 06-11-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

OK, as I suspected, there is something really wrong going on with either my version of HPT, or something. Here's a screenshot from the laptop I upload and scan with, and this is the scan file with the high MAP readings.
    From my earlier posts in http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...r-MAP-question I had almost the same problem with my LS1/ E40 turbonormalised aircraft. And both go to low power mode and throw MAP sensor codes, yet are totally different vehicles and ECUs. It's not just the scanner, the problems actually exist in both plane and car. Baffled is just the beginning of my thoughts right now....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DGA; 06-11-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Weird

Are you using the latest version?

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I haven't updated it since 2012, but the plane programming was then too, HPT did an update then. Another thing here, I have been messing with the GTO (my brother's car) for six months and it never did this until he just put this cam in it. HPT had been fine I think, but I did not scan or log it either. Wondering if the scan part of it messes something up?

You really need to update the software. It's updated daily and is a free download. 2 years is a really, really long time in the tuning world, especially on software that is literally updated every single day to fix bugs like this

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Sounds like great advice, will do that and reflash and see how it goes, thank you.

Sounds like great advice, will do that and reflash and see how it goes, thank you.
    Hold up... one thing..

Do you use the "stand alone" logging features on the pro interface? There is a bug in the latest software that makes that not work. They are working on fixing it. I never use mine so not an issue, but if that is something you use a lot then you probably want to try to get a hold of an older version of the software (but newer than what you have now). I can try to dig one up if you need it.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I don't have the pro version ( I think?) but was using an old Beta one, so just uploaded all the new suite and it seems to work fine. I STILL had a high MAP reading so deleted the MAP PID and reloaded it, and woohoo, it showed realistic readings. The tune is a ways off yet still, I think I need to get the injector timing to match the cam, start injectors right when the ex valve just closes. I don't have a wideband on it but will have to get one. The car won't go much over 4800 rpm before jumping into low power mode. I attached the latest tune and scan, if that is of use.Nev GTO2.hptNev scan cam4.hpl

I don't have the pro version ( I think?) but was using an old Beta one, so just uploaded all the new suite and it seems to work fine. I STILL had a high MAP reading so deleted the MAP PID and reloaded it, and woohoo, it showed realistic readings. The tune is a ways off yet still, I think I need to get the injector timing to match the cam, start injectors right when the ex valve just closes. I don't have a wideband on it but will have to get one. The car won't go much over 4800 rpm before jumping into low power mode. I attached the latest tune and scan, if that is of use.Nev GTO2.hptNev scan cam4.hpl
    If you can connect a wideband to the HP Tuners interface then you have the pro version. If not, you don't

What code is it throwing, if any? Really need a wideband on it.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Sorry, back. I didn't get the code off it last time it went to low power mode, sorry. Will get that this time. Was wanting to know what to put in for injector timing, it is set LS2 stock right now at 520 degrees. All I read said that this is the latest time for the injectors to CLOSE. I was under the understanding that I should open the injectors just as the exhaust valve is closed, on this cam that is 38.5 deg ATDC.

Sorry, back. I didn't get the code off it last time it went to low power mode, sorry. Will get that this time. Was wanting to know what to put in for injector timing, it is set LS2 stock right now at 520 degrees. All I read said that this is the latest time for the injectors to CLOSE. I was under the understanding that I should open the injectors just as the exhaust valve is closed, on this cam that is 38.5 deg ATDC.
    Dsteck posted a cam timing sheet somewhere around here. If you can find that it will give you a good starting point

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Ok, there is about 40 degrees of exhaust valve closing difference from the stock cam to the one in it now, so I added 40 degrees to the 520 the tune had originally. OK, forgive me here, but without a wideband or anything, I added fuel to the VE over 4400 rpm. Stock VE map has a sharp peak and drops off, but this cam has it's power just beginning to start coming in, so by hand I added fuel above 4400 and made it closer to what the power curve looks like on dyno 2000 software. It worked well, motor pulls hard on up now to over 6500 rpm, no reduced power mode or any codes at all. It's my brother's car, so at least it's driveable now and safer fuel wise, until he can get a wideband on the thing. I posted the tune and log here if you care to look, see if anything is glaring out at you.
    Attached Files Attached Files