Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem: Backfiring 4-5 seconds after entering decelaration

Tuner in Training

Problem: Backfiring 4-5 seconds after entering decelaration

Problem:
    Loud backfiring/popping from tailpipes upon decelaration, zero% TPS at 2500 to 1000 RPM's (1st - 3rd gear mostly).
    After entering decelaration, popping and then loud backfiring occurs after 4-5 seconds then seems like fuel is cut, stays off until I add more fuel (EI;tapping gas pedal).

CAR: 2008 C6 Corvette base model, 29K miles, M6, Kooks 1-3/4" headers, catted mid pipes and x-pipe, Corsa Sport mufflers (2-1/2" inlet), K&N air filter.
    Exhaust installed at E.S.P. in Sterling, MA.
    Stock tune.
    The backfiring started after installing new exhaust.

I own my own HP Tuners S/W and license.. I am familiar with HP Tuner S/W.

Also familiar with DFCO. Probably need to change some parameters in > Engine > fuel cutoff tab .

1)What is the solution to eliminating the terrible backfiring??

2)Can someone help with a solution?

Thank you,

Very Sad!
    Kevin

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    data log whats going on and i am sure it will point you in the right direction
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Hi Sultan,

I was hoping someone could help me set up the parametrs for the "DFCO cutoff" Tab.
    I would like the DFCO to Enable 1-2 seconds after entering decelaration....in other words i want to enter DFCO enable as sooner, this will stop the backfiring.

See attachment please.

thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had that same issue on my 2007 and my 2012 Corvette with headers and corsa sport exhaust. I fixed it by adjusting the entry and exit spark tables on the table you posted above. As I recall, all I did was change all cells of the exit and entry spark to all 10's. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that got rid of the annoying popping on mine in most all conditions.
    Last edited by jcrumpley; 06-09-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    2015 Corvette Convertible
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7
    Factory Five Roadster LS1 Tremec TKO

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    attached pic looks like its disabled, compare a stock file and you will be good to go man
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Post a data log and the tune file.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    I had that same issue on my 2007 and my 2012 Corvette with headers and corsa sport exhaust. I fixed it by adjusting the entry and exit spark tables on the table you posted above. As I recall, all I did was change all cells of the exit and entry spark to all 10's. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but that got rid of the annoying popping on mine in most all conditions.
    Hi JC,

Could you show me some screen shots of the exit and entry tables as you had set.

TY

Tuner in Training
    Hi Go fast,

How would I get a data log?

TY

The DFCO is disabled in that pic.

But, you state "stock tune" however in the pic that looks like a tune for a 06 GTO??

Ty,

I don't have access to my tune at work. From your comments though, particularly the part where you say, "how would I get a data log", it appears that you may not have read through the link below.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...iles-and-Demos

The stuff in that link will get you to the point of being able to get a log. Once you do, post the log and the actual tune from your car and you will get more assistance.
    2015 Corvette Convertible
    1992 GMC with 5.3 LM7
    Factory Five Roadster LS1 Tremec TKO

Tuner in Training
    Hi edge,

That is a screen shot of a different car, but this is how my stock tune is set on my C6.

still backfires!

Tuner in Training
    Hi JC,

I watched the video on stand alone data logging, seems I do not have the record buttons on my MPVI.

Please advise.

Tuner in Training
    hi JC,

I found different instructions on how to save datalog.

I will try this and upload a copy of my current tune file and the stand alone data logging file, (as suggested by go fast also).

thanks for all the help.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinhurley View Post
    hi JC,

I found different instructions on how to save datalog.

I will try this and upload a copy of my current tune file and the stand alone data logging file, (as suggested by go fast also).

thanks for all the help.
    Hi All,

Seems I'm still learning!

My MPVI is not a PRO, so can't do logging...correct?

I'm still try different config's and sometimes think I have gotten closer to figuring out how to get the feel to cut with 0%TPS.

Today it seemed better...but then heard it backfire s..t. least I could do at this point is post a copy of my current tune.

TY

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    Think he stated how to fix it here and also you should be able to datalog without the pro... Attached some pics with modified tables that I did to fix this same type of problem... You can go a lot lower on the crank ref entry spark tables if need be, but these settings will usually make a happy medium between having DFCO related fuel issue "going into and out of too much" and actually fixing the problem. May still notice an occassional pop though...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-12-2015 at 08:43 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    Then there's also a coast spark table that should be modified to correspond...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by kevinhurley View Post
    Hi All,

Seems I'm still learning!

My MPVI is not a PRO, so can't do logging...correct?

I'm still try different config's and sometimes think I have gotten closer to figuring out how to get the feel to cut with 0%TPS.

Today it seemed better...but then heard it backfire s..t. least I could do at this point is post a copy of my current tune.

TY
    All interfaces can do logging.. Pro lets you log without having a laptop connected to it, and lets you connect external sensors like a fuel pressure sensor or wideband.

Those screenshots look like they're from a 2003 version of HP Tuners.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Then there's also a coast spark table that should be modified to correspond...
    Hi G,

Thank you very much, I was missing a few parameters including the exit/entry spark blend.

The backfiring is gone and I can hear the fuel shutoff after 3-4 seconds, it still gurgles and pops, but that's expected with straight thru exhaust (Kooks headers, catless and Corsa sports)...very happy!

I set everything per your attachments except the coast down spark.

Not sure which table to edit for coast down spark.

See attachment - HPTuners version 2.24.758

Please suggest me which table to edit.
    Also, why can't I get it to shutoff immediately?... or 1-2 seconds. maybe I'm asking for to much :0)

Tuning Addict
    Idle Spark Advance - Coastdown from your attached pic. I like having the couple seconds of delay just for the simple reason that sometimes dfco can reek havoc on in and out throttle drivers - You know the ones that none of us can really stand to ride with You can lower those entry spark tables way down to enter quicker and modify your speed settings to keep and get it into dfco at lower vehicle speeds. Wouldn't go any lower than 5 mph. 9 to 10 mph might even be pushing it.

You might also want to drop Bill an email and update to 2.25. Decent amount of tables have been added. Then make sure your setup as advanced under your edit tab. Sometimes causes tables to be hidden.

Hope this was what you were looking for.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-30-2015 at 07:27 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Idle Spark Advance - Coastdown from your attached pic. I like having the couple seconds of delay just for the simple reason that sometimes dfco can reek havoc on in and out throttle drivers - You know the ones that none of us can really stand to ride with You can lower those entry spark tables way down to enter quicker and modify your speed settings to keep and get it into dfco at lower vehicle speeds. Wouldn't go any lower than 5 mph. 9 to 10 mph might even be pushing it.

You might also want to drop Bill an email and update to 2.25. Decent amount of tables have been added. Then make sure your setup as advanced under your edit tab. Sometimes causes tables to be hidden.

Hope this was what you were looking for.
    Hi G,

I will update to latest version later...TY.

You described my driving like the wife would!

See current tune attached.

I think I need to at least update speed table....and coast down.

thank you