Thread: Dodge Ram Stalling Out.

Tuner

Dodge Ram Stalling Out.

Im currently working on this truck, the engine is a 5.7 hemi with a crane 216 cam (specs are: 216/222 .550/.550 112lsa). No matter what the speed is once you let off the throttle the truck stalls out, this dodge software is something else. Not the same as a chevy lol. Will anyone guide me on what to change in the tune to keep this vehicle running? Thanks, below is the attached tune.

Attachment 51154

Senior Tuner
    can you post your stock file to compare with? It will make it easier to pinpoint changes.
    Jaime

Tuner
    Yes, I will post it once I get home since I don't have the computer with me at work.

Tuner
    Attachment 51173

Above is the stock file. If anybody has any idea on how to get these dodges to idle nice please let me know. I would like to know.

Thanks.

Senior Tuner
    Does it idle ok if you don't touch the throttle? Do you have a log of the stalling condition? Right away I can say you need to raise your Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Desired Airflow Min and I would add some timing to your Spark>Advance>Minimum Spark>Min Spark table in the idle areas. The PCM is going to use a combo of the PT Base timing table and the Min Spark table. The Min Spark Table has a lot of negative values in the stock tune, which should be mostly brought to zero in the idle area.

A log though would help a lot to see what it is actually doing just prior to the stall.

Tuner
    If you look at the first post, I posted the file I made the changes too and it still stalls out. I will make the changes to the Desired at flow min to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    I compared the stock vs modified tune and saw the min airflow and min timing tables were untouched, that's why I made that recommendation. I found the sweet spot in park/neutral with the timing where too little would result in a stall after a rev or let off of the throttle and too much timing and it would hunt for an idle. Seemed like around 14-16* actual advance. You can get there many ways, either raise your PT timing table and leave Min alone, or leave PT alone and bring up the Min a little, it looks at both, so changing either will effect the actual spark it puts out.

Senior Tuner
    As I mentioned a log, not the tune itself, would be helpful to see what it's doing.

Tuner
    I understand what you are saying, I will change that up and log the vehicle see if it acts up again or not. I have logs but not with me at the moment. I will post one as soon as I get home to my computer. So 14-16* advance should make it stay running after a rev or let off the throttle?

Thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by R0G3R View Post
    I understand what you are saying, I will change that up and log the vehicle see if it acts up again or not. I have logs but not with me at the moment. I will post one as soon as I get home to my computer. So 14-16* advance should make it stay running after a rev or let off the throttle?

Thanks in advance.
    It will contribute, but might not be the only issue. I have a similar issue on my car, though with a much bigger cam, where it wants to die in gear after touching the throttle. Used to do it in park/neutral as well, the timing changes eliminated it there.

Tuner
    I messed with the timing and it helped it once at operating temperatures. However, on a cold start it is still going into negative timing, does anybody have a idea on what table to modify to keep it at lets say 16* idle at a stop? Thanks.