Thread: Spark tuning confusion

Potential Tuner

Spark tuning confusion

Hello all,

I was offered to tune my buddies car, but I've messed with v6's only. That's not too much of an issue, but I went from reading all sensors to pretty much reading no sensors. He's running on the 1 bar speed density enhanced OS. No MAF attached to the car, no o2 sensors, and no knock sensors. It is also running a Standalone system when Nitrous is on. It's been tuned before he bought the car, so I'm trying to track things down and figure out what tables is the car reading. So its an "Open Loop SD" tune. Here's a couple questions or "Issues" I have run into.

1.) I've determined that the WOT timing is reading off of Engine>Spark>Retard>Min Spark Advance

- In the WOT RPM areas it is set a 10* which is fine for what is into it. I've changed it to 12* and it went to 12* at WOT. I have no idea what the Spark is reading off of during cruising or idle because the High/Low Octane tables do not match what is going on at all. I've been told that SD will read off of the Low Octane, but it's still reading in g/cyl which is through the MAF? Or am I wrong. When Cruising/small accel. the timing is between 13*-28*. Am I missing something, or is there a specific table for all these missing sensors and what not. The only codes being thrown is a TPS code, and 2 MAF codes.

2.) The car owner does want a separate file for an N/A tune (Off the Standalone) but it's commanding 14.7 always during PE?

- It's almost like the car doesn't even go into PE at any point. It is enabled at 90KPA with an EQ ratio of 1.13 / 13.0afr but is commanding to 14.7. Searched around for another table, Engine>Fuel>Open&Closed Loop>Open Loop EQ ratio. It looks like the car is just reading off this table also as it is set to 1.00 / 14.7 in the WOT area. What would make the car not read the PE table? Nothing should be deactivating it or stop it from reading it, unless you need one o2 for it to read.?

I'm going to screw around with question 2 this weekend, but number 1 has me stumped. I'm going to be doing the N/A tune before further Nitrous tuning. I've googled around, but I can't find the answers, so I came here and made a post as a last resort. If I get it to work off the tables, I guess it worked. Anybody have some experience or answers in this?

EDIT 1: He does have a wideband, not hooked up to my HPTuners

EDIT 2: Added files. (Setscrew is a normal cruise with a little acceleration) ( 255 shot is a burnout/actual run is at the end)

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fergieman92; 06-05-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: additional info

Wow. Not even knock sensors. Scary to me. I would look at iat tables. But i would also suggest posting a log and the tune for the guys to look at.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
    Wow. Not even knock sensors. Scary to me. I would look at iat tables. But i would also suggest posting a log and the tune for the guys to look at.
    He has them on the car, he just needs to hardwire them into the PCM. I'm only afraid of what table will it change to if it does. I was hoping to find like a standalone gauge that can read it but its all just LED lights.

We tested fresh plugs on a big shot and read the plugs. Everything seems good, no signs of pre-detonation.
    (Added files to original post)