Thread: Custom tuning options for LE5 2.4! help!!!

Potential Tuner

Custom tuning options for LE5 2.4! help!!!

Hello,

I recently purchased a LE5 2.4l out of a Pontiac g6 that I will be swapping into my sand rail. I have two options I can go with here. One, I am able to send my PCM out to a company that will go through a put a tune into my PCM using the hp tuners software orrrr I can just buy the hp tuners software on line from the website hptuners.com and do it all my self multiple times if I have to. My problem lies where they make it sound like they have there own ready made hp tuners tune that they put in it them selves. I am wondering if I get the software my self will there be ready made tunes available and easy to use. I am a gm tech so I have a lot of experience with programming cars.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    flashing with the gm tech 2 is a breeze as all you can do is reset the position values and flash whatever is sent to you through Tech. GMTech2 does not allow you to calibrate base data fields as that info is restricted to the engineering departments. A Tech2 is nothing compared to everything involved with calibrating an ecu through hptuners. if you want a preprogrammed tune you "will not" find it here at hptuners. a lot of times tunes left in the repository are engine setup specific and are incomplete requiring multiple changes to straighten it out for use on any other vehicle. I highly suggest reading through all the LSJ threads you can as it will be the closest to your 2.4 ecu. The newest ecu is a royal pain in the rear so a year for the ecu that you have may allows to tell you how hard it really is going to be to calibrate.

Im not saying your unknowledgeable, your a tech you know your cars, just knowing what the dealer computers are capable of from my own time at dealerships I can only assume from your statement above that you don't know what hptuners is really offering to you. Do all the reading you can though it will help you determine if its worth it or not for you to purchase the software.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    The LE5 is pretty easy to tune from my experience. Probably tuned around 100 of them over the past 10 years. Assuming that you are keeping the stock ECM and modifying the harness and all that I am hoping you will have no more difficulty tuning it than if it was on the G6 it came out of.

You will probably pull the torque management out of it, adjust your fueling, and then make some modest adjustments to the timing. The engine doesnt respond well to a crap load of timing increases on pump gas, but there is a power dip in the stock tune related to the timing tables that can be tuned out around 4,000 RPMs or so. I have dyno'd quite a few of the LE5 that I have tuned, and it can be possible to get 8-12 wheel hp and around 20-25 wheel torque out of them with nothing more than a tune. That's pretty good in my book, because you really wake up the low end and make the engine much more responsive.

Buy the HPTuners and do it yourself. If you don't, you'll probably always wish you did OR end up buying it anyways when you need to make revisions later down the road.