Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on Coyote MAF tuning

Tuner in Training
    control c did not work on 2.25. will your lasota config work on 2.24? keith@hp confirmed that 2.25 has not implemented copy from the graphs on beta

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think 2.25 config will work in 2.24. Sorry about the misinformation. I could have sworn I used it in 2.25, because I read it in the LaSota Guide.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 10-06-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Here is a Config for 2.24 using LTFT to correct the MAF. The config is kinda sparse, but it is setup for a long datalog, where I want the smallest amount of recorded data as possible.

Notice that Histogram 8 is for a 3.7 V6 Mustang and Histogram 9 is for a 5.0 V8 Coyote Mustang. The MAF Period Axes values are different between both tunes, so it is important you use the histogram specific to your car. I would double check your tune and confirm that the period data in the histogram matches the period data in your stock tune.

2.24 LTFT Based MAF Correction Config 5.0 AND 3.7.cfg
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-07-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Maf period logs correctly akdmb? If so, awesome. I'll be using it

Quote Originally Posted by cashbum View Post
    Maf period logs correctly akdmb? If so, awesome. I'll be using it
    Yep, based on a short datalog I took, it worked fine. The fuel trims it logged correlated to the correct period on the MAF curve.

Tuner in Training
    config didnt work akdmb. says the parameters arent set up to support it. the histogram is there but maf period isnt setup. i couldnt set it up before either by how txcharlie explained it

Advanced Tuner
    I have always had trouble using someone else's config file.
    You have to create a user defined PID for MAF Period. 2.24 only has MAF Hz, so you create a user defined PID for MAF Period by 1000000/[PID.2302]. I don't think using his config will work unless you create the MAF Period PID first. Make sure you have MAF Hz listed to read in your PID list or it won't work. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 10-09-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I'll try it again. Although now I can copy and paste on 2.25

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cashbum View Post
    I'll try it again. Although now I can copy and paste on 2.25
    That's true. Probably best to use 2.25 anyway so you can get used to it. I haven't used 2.24 in months.

Ok so I actually have a tuning problem now

Today I had an hour drive consisting of city, highway, stop and go traffic and everything in between. I logged my LTFT's with 2.24 in my MAF histogram. When I got home I applied the changes to my tune, went and flashed the car and took it on a drive. It started and idled fine, ran great, and the new long term fuel trims were on average from 1.5% to 3%

I probably drove in normal around town traffic for 10 minutes then got on some nice back roads and had some fun with the car, nothing too crazy. Anyways, I drive back home and sit and let the car idle so it can learn to idle. I turned the AC up for a couple minutes and then turned it off. Keep in mind, it idled fine for at least 2 minutes before it started doing this. I was sitting there and then the idle went from 650rpm (where it normally idles) to down to around 450rpm, the car would save itself, go back up to 650rpm then drop down again, save itself and so on and so forth. It became more frequent the longer I let it idle. The fuel trims are dead on nuts now so I really don't know what's causing this. The MAF curve is more accurate now than ever, so what's the hang up? The car idled amazing on the first tune, now it doesn't. I just got out of the car. I guess I will try to log it tonight with more parameters, timing, air fuel etc. I should have been logging those, but I was trying to have as little data as possible on that very long drive. I will probably try to let the car cool down and do a cold start and see if the issue is still there. Maybe it was a fluke and it will never do it again, but I can't think of an explanation right now

Go to about 20,000 frames and that's where the car starts to do it.
    datalog after second flash.hpl

Here is my Stock Tune:
    TRENT's stock 2012 v6 mustang tune.hpt

Here is my First Tune( only change vs. stock is Multiplied entire MAF table by 1.38):
    TRENT.hpt

Here is my Second Tune( I used the below histogram to adjust the MAF table, and then I also removed the speed limiter, set it to 200mph)
    2012 3.7 V6 Mustang Steeda CAI 2nd revision for MAF NO SPEED LIMITER.hpt

I used these LTFT values to adjust the MAF Table today, before the second flash.
    1 Hour Drive Home LTFT MAF Data Screenshot.PNG

When I went to let the car idle, I was intending for the idle relearn to take place, did that screw the car up? The car was 12% rich at idle before and now it's about 2 to 5% lean. Do some intakes just require a higher idle?

Any help would be great guys,thanks in advance. I thought I had this lol(cries softly)!
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-09-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Only five attachments per post, here's the LTFT vs MAF Period histogram after the second tune and after the dying idle issues.
    As you can see, the trims are lower, so what's the deal right?

Idle issues.PNG

Well, left the car alone for a couple hours, went and started it and it idled like a champ. Took it out for a 20 minute drive with the AC on, very light traffic, caught every stoplight and it came down from speed and idled just fine. After the drive, I let it idle for maybe 5 minutes, cycling the AC on and off and it couldn't care less, stable 650rpm idle. The one thing I noticed during idle was that the car hit the low low flow areas of the MAF curve no problem, before even when it was dying at 450rpm it would only hit 650 usec. Now it idles at a stable 650rpm but is down in the 750-800 usec area no problem. Another key thing I noticed was that the STFT's were now consistent, before they would be normal then shoot below -20, and the car would try to die. Now the STFT's are as consistent as they could be at idle. The car was just as Hot as it was when it had trouble idling, ECT was exactly the same and IAT's were within a few degrees, so I pretty much replicated the same conditions. I guess moral of the story is, if you are having weird idle issues after a flash, turn the car off, walk away for a few hours, take it out for another drive in a few hours and see if that fixes it .I think the idle relearn might have been playing games with me. I guess that's what was making the car idle in a numerically lower period and pulling a bunch of fuel with the STFT's

This is the only technical tuning info on the idle relearn I have been able to find. Can anyone can explain it in english lol?

"Yeah, it's just that much more crucial for the 2011's. People always thought I was crazy when I sent them tunes and said, idle it from cold start for 10 minute without touching the throttle. Hopefully this clears that up. The only ones who understood it were those that logged ISC_Integrator so they saw that it was learning it's way down to 0." - AMChrisRose

http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s1...k-in-here.html

^^^is this a legit explanation?

I'm gonna be watching the car over the coming days and weeks and make sure this issue doesn't persist, if it does I will report back.
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-09-2015 at 11:42 PM.

I hate to ask this question again seeing as I haven't driven the car again and reassured that this issue is finally licked, but does anyone have anymore info on this? I think I remember someone else making reference to their CJ setup being grump after a reflash, I looked and looked and couldn't find that thread.

Here were the LTFT's after the second drive. The car had no issues on this drive.

LTFT's after second drive.PNG
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-12-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Potential Tuner
    hi, I,he a steeda tube (101 mm) know what the area of the tube thanks...

I know it might be due to a language barrier possibly, or the fact that I do math all day long(not this stuff), but you might want to reconsider tuning your vehicle if you can't calculate the area of a circle. I mean this with all due respect.

Here you go, step by step, how to calculate the area of a circle. Hopefully you can do the rest of the math after this. Do this same calculation for the stock intake (86mm) and divide the area of the 101mm tube by the area of the 86mm tube. I might as well post that math too.

EDIT:Ok, here are all of the steps you need to follow from start to finish.

Step 1. Find the Area of the Steeda 101mm MAF Housing
    Area of Circle.PNG

Step 2. Find the Area of the Stock 86mm MAF Housing
    Area of Circle2.PNG

Step 3.Find the ratio of the Steeda MAF Housing area to the Stock MAF Housing area
    Area of Circle3.PNG

EDIT 2:I'm officially retarded, fixed the math and the final value that's needed is 1.38
    Last edited by AKDMB; 03-03-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Potential Tuner
    1/(5.809/9.503) = 1.64 x maf airflow vs period

thanks
    Last edited by garifato83; 03-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garifato83 View Post
    1/(5.809/9.503) = 1.63 x maf airflow vs period
    Yeah, that works too, as long as you got that final value of 1.38. No need to convert mm to meters. Multiply all of the lb/min airflow values in the MAF curve by 1.38. Here is another thread about this, if you want to do some more reading about MAF tuning.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ay-to-tune-MAF

Here is a thread that has links to common topics and info that comes up on the forums. Lots of great info about a lot of different of tune changes needed for different mods.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hp?54426-Newby
    Last edited by AKDMB; 03-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    I know it might be due to a language barrier possibly, or the fact that I do math all day long(not this stuff), but you might want to reconsider tuning your vehicle if you can't calculate the area of a circle. I mean this with all due respect.

Here you go, step by step, how to calculate the area of a circle. Hopefully you can do the rest of the math after this. Do this same calculation for the stock intake (86mm) and divide the area of the 101mm tube by the area of the 86mm tube. I might as well post that math too.

EDIT:Ok, here are all of the steps you need to follow from start to finish.

Step 1. Find the Area of the Steeda 101mm MAF Housing
    Attachment 56955

Step 2. Find the Area of the Stock 86mm MAF Housing
    Attachment 56961

Step 3.Find the ratio of the Steeda MAF Housing area to the Stock MAF Housing area
    Attachment 56962

Pictures and everything! Awesome!!

Incorrect math in said pictures though. Half of 101 is 50.5 NOT 55.

Lol woops. Will fix it here.