Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on Coyote MAF tuning

Just tested it in HPT scanner (official, SAE pids, havent tried beta), so STFT+LTFT (create custom pid) or STFT if LTFT is disabled as correction factor and convert frequency to period (create custom pid 1000000/MAF HZ).
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kaineoutlaw View Post
    So how about making a histogram for maf in 2.25?
    You can use tables in 2.25 for LTFT and STFT now. Still can't create User Defined PIDs yet. The 2.25 scanner is all I use now. SCT is collecting dust. LOL.

OK guys, one quick question before I go to tune the MAF on my 2012 3.7 V6 Mustang this weekend. Right now I am planning to use both STFT and LTFT. The main question I have is if I am using LTFT and STFT, do I still have to zero out the MAF Temp Compensation Table?

I know people talked about it before, I plan on using the formula
    (((STFT+LTFT)-2)*100) I will then take the Histogram data and special paste - Multiply by % into the MAF Transfer Function. This should give me an overall fueling correction. I did the math on the MAF diameters and surface area and I will need a rather large 38% base correction for the MAF(Steeda CAI, exact same size as a 5.0 Intake, but on a V6)

Also when you select Average (out of the three A, L, C options) to be displayed in the scanner, does the scanner constantly average existing values with new data, creating more and more accurate values in the cells? Setting a specifc count just tells the scanner not to display data until it has averaged X amount of values right?

If this approach is successful I may do a video on an idiots guide to MAF tuning.
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-01-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Use STFT+LTFT if you log sae PIDS in 22.4 and 1000000/MAF HZ to find coordinates on MAF transfer and you will be fine.
    www.hd-customs.pl

So don't disable MAF Temp Compensation?

No, one there is for a reason.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Hey guys, so I went ahead and bit the bullet, put my car back to stock with the SCT Tuner, read my VCM, added a 38% base correction to MAF and flashed back to the VCM successully!!! By the way, doing this scared me to death honestly, flashing the car with my X3 has always scared me and just swapping tunes in general has. I was always afraid of somehow bricking my PCM. After seeing 2.25 in work, quickly reading and writing the VCM I felt a lot better about the whole process, it took 1 minute and 45 seconds for the read and write, this thing is quick!

So anyways on to my problem. I used a 38% correction to the MAF Airflow vs. Period table and surprisingly, everywhere but idle and decel, the car was pretty much spot on, trims were within about 5% on average during normal driving. I drove for a while, maybe 50 miles and my ltft's got to build up some pretty consistent data. Disregard what I previously said about using STFT and LTFT, I just used LTFT. I used the table below to attempt to relate my LTFT's to MAF Airflow vs Period Table, but that didn't work as expected, I ended up only filling period cell with data, the period that the data was in was at the opposite end of the period table. What am I doing wrong? do I need to invert the period?

My car:
    2012 3.7 V6 Mustang Performance Pack
    MT-82 Manual Trans.
    Steeda Cold Air Intake
    Stock tune besides multiplying the entire MAF Airflow vs. Period table by 1.38

Here is what I setup. Also, I copied the Period data from a 3.7 Tune in the repository the night before, I double checked and the period was identical to my stock tune, so I don't think this is the issue.

FORUM MAF.PNG

Here is what I got, keep in mind I did a bunch of driving up until this point, maybe 30 miles, stop and go, highway, part throttle, everything in between. While my data was useless, the car did build memory and learned, so that is good I guess.

FORUM MAF 2.PNG

One more weird thing I noticed was that the the tables would not actively populate. The channels were actively showing data, but the only way I saw that one populated cell in table, in the screen shot above, was by ending the log and then viewing it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

HUGE THANKS to the HPTUNERS TEAM and community for making 2.25 what it is!!! I am a complete noob, never done this before and I was able to get going in a matter of minutes. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-03-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If it has been added to your strategy, you can use LTFT for your table. It is the average between B1 and B2. Look in Generic Sensors>Fuel>Closed Loop Fuel Learning>Long Term Fuel Trim. You can also use the STFT in same area if you make a table for those.
    From looking at your screen shot, it looks like those functions may not work in your strategy. That's what I was getting when they weren't working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    If it has been added to your strategy, you can use LTFT for your table. It is the average between B1 and B2. Look in Generic Sensors>Fuel>Closed Loop Fuel Learning>Long Term Fuel Trim. You can also use the STFT in same area if you make a table for those.
    From looking at your screen shot, it looks like those functions may not work in your strategy. That's what I was getting when they weren't working for me.
    Thanks a lot man, that's exactly what I needed! I triple checked my Lasota Coyote Book and of course that's the parameter he had. I will try again tomorrow, see how it goes and report back. My MAF was really only off below 2 lb/min, I would never have believed I could have gotten the MAF dialed this quickly. I am going to post the tune in the repository afterwards once I get it dialed so others will have the MAF curve for this intake.
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-03-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Where from do you have maf period to take coordinates? In table config looks you dont have it configured, you must create custom pid, but i dont know if this works in 2.25 beta, use 2.24 scanner.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Quote Originally Posted by caniggia View Post
    Where from do you have maf period to take coordinates? In table config looks you dont have it configured, you must create custom pid, but i dont know if this works in 2.25 beta, use 2.24 scanner.
    I simply copied the period data from my stock tune in the MAF Airflow vs. Period Airflow Table

FORUM 2.PNG

I have yet to retest it, but my error was that I accidentally used LTFT B1 SAE PID instead the of the generic Long Term Fuel Trim PID. This should hopefully solve my problem with collecting data, will get a chance to retest later today.

As i wrote you before, there is no maf period and pid for trims you can use whatyou used. Just read what stated before, its all there.
    www.hd-customs.pl

I logged some on the way to lunch, using the generic LTFT PID, same result. Another mistake I made looking back on it was I forgot to add the generic LTFT PID to my channels, so that might be it too. I am going to see if there is a generic PID for the MAF on the drive home, then if that doesn't work I will try to configure a custom PID like you said.

There is pid Maf HZ, you need to convert it with custom pid to maf period useing what i wrote above.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Can't add generic PID's to the channels anyways so that wasn't the problem, there isn't a generic PID for MAF Period, so I will go ahead and setup the custom PID and try everything out again tomorrow.

^^^Well, I thought that would be an easy process, but I was wrong. Can you even create custom PID's in 2.25? Another thing I noticed was that I can only use a fraction of the PID's available in the table setup in the channels. For instance, I can't put any of the generic PID's in the channels.
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-04-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Thanks a lot man, that's exactly what I needed! I triple checked my Lasota Coyote Book and of course that's the parameter he had. I will try again tomorrow, see how it goes and report back. My MAF was really only off below 2 lb/min, I would never have believed I could have gotten the MAF dialed this quickly. I am going to post the tune in the repository afterwards once I get it dialed so others will have the MAF curve for this intake.
    I'm not sure why he didn't mention it in the guide. Maybe it was added after the guide was written.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 10-05-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    ^^^Well, I thought that would be an easy process, but I was wrong. Can you even create custom PID's in 2.25? Another thing I noticed was that I can only use a fraction of the PID's available in the table setup in the channels. For instance, I can't put any of the generic PID's in the channels.
    Used defined is not working in 2.25 yet and you don't need it anyway. There is MAF Period PID, so no need to convert Hz to Period with custom PID.
    MAF Period is here Specific Parameters>Engine>Airflow>Mass Airflow>MAF Sensor Period.
    If you can't find it, it's not in your strategy yet.
    Make sure you have both Banks for LTFT and STFT in channels. Also, make sure MAF Period is in channels.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 10-04-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Used defined is not working in 2.25 yet and you don't need it anyway. There is MAF Period PID, so no need to convert Hz to Period with custom PID.
    MAF Period is here Specific Parameters>Engine>Airflow>Mass Airflow>MAF Sensor Period.
    If you can't find it, it's not in your strategy yet.
    Make sure you have both Banks for LTFT and STFT in channels. Also, make sure MAF Period is in channels.
    Ok, here is what I have now

FORUM4.PNG

My issue is that I cannot get MAF Period to appear in the channels, i can add it in the tables, just not in the channels, it's not there. I am starting to wonder if it's not supported for my strategy now.
    FORUM5.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    You need to have a comma between the Maf Period cells in your custom histogram.

Russ Kemp
    When I put commas between the data points it's almost like the table thinks it's seeing one giant number, it's weird.
    Last edited by AKDMB; 10-04-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Ok, you need to add the Maf Period pid to the column axis, not the row axis. And if there is no Maf Period pid available in the channels, then delete your vehicles in your VCM Scanner folder. Then the scanner will re-poll for the Maf Period pid. Do you have the latest beta?

Russ Kemp