Thread: New to the tuning world need help!

Potential Tuner

New to the tuning world need help!

The first issue that i seem to be having is that whenever I press the gas peddle my ECT gauge will go up and down on the computer, when I disconnected the TPS connector it stopped. I did a little searching and couldn't find anything. I bought a brand new standalone DBW harness from PSI conversions so I would hope wiring wouldn't be an issue.

My next problem, not sure if they are related is that i cant get the car to start. Over the winter I did a 5.3 swap into my 87 firebird. Right now I have a PSI harness, an intake off of a camaro ss with stock injectors. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but i do not have MAF or any 02 sensors connected at this moment, i still need to get that stuff. The only thing I did with the tune was disabled VATS. What else do I need to do to make it run right? To me it seems like the timing is off dramatically, the car wont even fire off, it will just crank, sometimes sputter and back fire out the intake... Not good. Like I said before I am new to the EFI world but am willing to learn. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

You will want both the MAF and o2 sensors to be connected for it to start correctly and even run correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    What about my throttle issue, that just dosnt make any sence to me? I checked the pin out on the ecu and everything was correct. Is it something to do with the tuner now?

So the ECT moves when the engine is not running with the throttle peddle?

Potential Tuner
    I don't have my gauges hooked up yet so this is going off of what my laptop say... So yes, with the car off and key on the white needle behind the red one will move and the numbers will go from -18 to 36 when I step on the gas peddle.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not sure how to export things, but this is the best way i could find to demonstrate what I am talking about. The attached excel file is me pressing the gas pedal about 4 times. You can see that the IAT stays consistent, while the ECT values change as i press the pedal. Meanwhile the TPS doest register anything.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure it's not ETC?

Potential Tuner
    I'm not sure... If I unplug it, it does the same thing.

What about the tps? How do I check if that's bad?
    Last edited by TDK; 06-04-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Sound like connector c1 pins 54 and 74 are crossed causing tps to put voltage to ect input to ecm