Thread: Looking for some advice, mainly with my timing tables. Built LQ4

Potential Tuner

Looking for some advice, mainly with my timing tables. Built LQ4

Hello all! Im going to keep this as short as I can. I just got into tuning recently. Trying to sort my car out after my new build. Ill start with a brief history so you know how I got here, and Ill give the full spec list of the motor.

Car is an 86 Trans AM. Originally I swapped a 99 LS1 into it. Motor was fully built and partially tuned. I had it on a dyno with a good tuner, and it was having some issues. Turned out I had clogged injectors. Ended up destroying that motor. Also during this process, I was told my LS1 PCM was locked, so I bought a new one. I asked for an 02 LS1 M6 PCM. After hooking up to it, it comes up as an 01 V6 Blazer. But its obviously been flashed to work...because the car runs well haha.

Motor #2 is a 2004 LQ4. I built it using some new parts, and some old parts. So now Im trying to dial this thing in on my own. Im afraid that Im working with sins from the past in some parts of the tune. Namely the timing table. It seems super choppy. People have told me to start bumping timing, but Im not sure Im at a good starting point. I have no known. Even when the car was running lean.

Build:
    LQ4, stock rods, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts.
    MTi Stage IIe 5.3L heads with Tooley springs and push rods
    Cam is 230/234 .609/.612" 113LSA +3 I think I figured out 6* overlap
    Fast 90 Intake
    Nick Williams 90mm Throttle body. No extra drilling, TPS sits at .70v at idle and hits 4.70ish at WOT.
    36lb flow matched injectors, IFR and inj data straight from FIC.
    85mm truck MAF with 4" intake, still using external IAT located in a non-heat soak area.
    Stock coils, good wires, new plugs, new O2 sensors
    Car is a T56 also.

I will post my latest tune, latest log which is pretty long with some WOT, and my config. The log doesnt include my latest changes as I havent been able to run the car since.

The car runs good. Im not sure if Im just used to the power, but it doesnt feel too terribly fast. Tho it scoots well. I feel like the fueling is close if not good to go. Im in OL SD right now. Its close enough that I want to finalize my timing, since I need to revisit VE after that anyway. But when I look at my timing table, I dont know where to start. It seems really chopped up with large "steps". This is where Im hoping to get some help. I see lots of people say increase 6-8* over stock. Well..this isnt stock. I dont think? Last motor had a reverse split cam, less cubes and more compression, so if this is a result of that combo I feel that there has to be improvement to be had.

Some other things the car does that will need addressed. It likes to stumble/stall when hitting 0mph. Now Ive read lots of write ups on how to deal with this, and Ill tackle it when I square the rest away. The other thing it likes to do is have a lazy start up. Wont really crank long, but when it fires, its almost like its slowly waking up vs that nice explosive start that the cold start has.

Any feedback on the timing is more than appreciated! I know this wasnt as short as I hoped..haha. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Justin

HP Tuners SD OL with WB Rev 12.hpt

5-29-15 Rev 11 Drive Home.hpl

Justin TA OL SD WB.cfg
    Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-02-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Bump once more.

I finally got my own copy of HPT, and all Im waiting on is to figure out if I need to do anything with these crazy looking timing tables. My fueling is close. I want to adjust timing, check fueling once more, then start working on my MAF/Closed loop stuff.

I swear I can feel the timing jumps. Like if I keep my car in 2nd, and slowly increase throttle on level, even load road, I can feel a surge in the car when it gets to a certain point. Usually I dont notice it because Im either going WOT, or not paying attention.

Any advice on those tables? Ive seen some stock tables look crazy like that, and Ive seen some tuned tables look a little funky. Ive also seen some look nice and smooth like the VE table.

Thanks!

Justin

Tuning Addict
    You can use this for your timing tables if you wish. It's got some problems I'm sorting through, but timing wise is pretty good for AM heads and milder cam than yours.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuning Addict
    OK VE still needs fixing. Otherwise has decent cam lope and no longer wants to stall when snapping throttle. In this one I just fixed the issue I was having where the engine would fire up, stumble then "relight" when cold... It also had an issue where as previously stated you could snap the throttle and it would dip to 300ish rpms then if it didn't stall it would jump back up. That was combined with the fact that you could put it into gear and cause a stumble. All of that was fixed in the below tune. Now you can power brake it, immediately let the throttle off = no longer stumbles at all, you can pull into D or R = no rpm dip, you can snap the throttle = comes down gentle. It's only putting down 330ish to the rear wheels right now, so I've got a little ways still to go. BUT a very nice improvement over the 207 to the rear wheels it put down after leaving the first tuning shop... They still had it set up "mostly" with the stock 5.3l tables

Engine is an ATK summit LQ4 longblock with Fast 102 Truck intake, Fast 102 TB "junk and hideous sounding", CAI and short tubes attached to stock cats if that helps you out any...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-15-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Awesome, thanks! Ill check it out. Is this an auto or M6 car?
    EDIT: Looks like it might be an auto...that would mean the timing tables would be different than what Ide need, right?
    Last edited by ghettocruiser; 07-15-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Your idle timing would probably be a little different as the trans puts a touch more load on the motor, other than that I try to tune with converter clutch locked... Well actually you would be better off even with the idle timing to be able to let the clutch out without stalling or pulling the rpms down. Timing is probably way smoother than it needs to be but I always try to do smooth timing when I disable spark smoothing. Then again, I always try to do rather smooth maps in general so I don't inadvertently cause other problems Your airflow tables are where the real differences would be. Make sure to get those from a stock Manual LQ4 or LQ9 tune if you can...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-15-2015 at 09:16 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! Where the tune sits now, the car acts pretty decent when clutch in and coming to a stop. Also if revving while in neutral. I did have some stalling issues, especially if I was turning the wheel and stopping, like pulling into a parking spot. But that went away when I bumped idle by 50-100 rpm. I figured I would attack that when I get everything else lined up and can try dropping idle again.

I didnt mess with airflow too much, because there was previous tune work done to it. Its another reason i was so tempted to flash a stock file into it, and start over. Im not 100% sure what all was done to accomodate the FAST intake, TB, air intake, or exhaust.

She runs strong. I just feel like there's some more in her. If not more power, just behave better between idle and WOT haha.

Justin