Thread: GM Stage 1 Tuning

Potential Tuner

GM Stage 1 Tuning

Going to be buying hp tuners and gm stage 1 sensors soon. Zzp gives this info for tuning after installing the sensors "In HP Tuners, set the MAP sensor linear to 65.89, MAP sensor offset to -6.35, Boost sensor linear to 65.89, and Boost sensor offset to -6.35." Just wondering if there was anything else that anyone else had to change? Only other mods at this time are a cat back.

Potential Tuner
    Realized I didn't specify what I drive. This would be for an 08 cobalt ss

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you will want to maf tune at a minimum to keep fuel on point. otherwise zzp is correct, install the sensors, modify the values under engine diagnostics tab to the values they have provided and make sure for the map sensor you lift the high kpa limit to 512 like the sensor below it.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

thats not stage 1 tuning, thats just making a 3bar sensor work. you need all of the stage 1 tables that are different from stock to have the stage 1 "tune".
    2008 Sky RL

Senior Tuner
    hey thanks captain obvious. Lets read the questions at hand before posting mmmk.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Advanced Tuner
    Area47, I don't think that |V3nom| was trying to be a smarty pants by calling out the fact that the instructions mentioned by the OP were strictly for making the 3Bar sensor work. Perhaps this OP was under the impression that all that they had to do was adjust a couple values and Voila, you've got yourself the 19psi, etc, etc, tune that came with the Stage 1 kit from GM.

To the original poster, the mentioned steps will get your existing tune to operate on the 3 Bar sensors, but you will see no additional performance gains without adjusting any of the commonly adjusted tables. In my opinion, the 3 Bar sensor complicates the initial tuning process (if you are new to tuning LNFs) and a newbie would be better learning the ropes with the stock sensors in place. I generally only make the recommendation for the 3 Bar sensors when the customer has an upgraded turbocharger, or is hell bent on running more than what Most of us would consider within the range or Stage 1 -> Stage 2, whatever.

Senior Tuner
    ::facepalm:: nevermind.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Area47, I don't think that |V3nom| was trying to be a smarty pants by calling out the fact that the instructions mentioned by the OP were strictly for making the 3Bar sensor work. Perhaps this OP was under the impression that all that they had to do was adjust a couple values and Voila, you've got yourself the 19psi, etc, etc, tune that came with the Stage 1 kit from GM.

To the original poster, the mentioned steps will get your existing tune to operate on the 3 Bar sensors, but you will see no additional performance gains without adjusting any of the commonly adjusted tables. In my opinion, the 3 Bar sensor complicates the initial tuning process (if you are new to tuning LNFs) and a newbie would be better learning the ropes with the stock sensors in place. I generally only make the recommendation for the 3 Bar sensors when the customer has an upgraded turbocharger, or is hell bent on running more than what Most of us would consider within the range or Stage 1 -> Stage 2, whatever.
    You're correct, this was the impression he was under, he posted almost the same question on css.net wondering if all he had to do was install the 3 bar map sensors to get the GMS1 tune.

Advanced Tuner
    That's the impression I got too. It's still not harrd to make the other changes to get the GMS1....but it's not like that was a great tune anyhow.