Thread: Help with Saturn Ion Redline

Potential Tuner

Help with Saturn Ion Redline

I have an 04' Saturn Ion RL. I just installed 2.9" ZZP pulley and 60# injectors and switched to e85. After reflashing a tune into the car, I have lost the function of my cruise control, along with while in vcm scanner, I can't get it to log rpm, injector DC, boost, and a couple other various pids are saying unsupported. I have visited the config repository and downloaded 3 or 4 config files in an attempt to do some trial and error.

I have tried an write entire to correct the issues. I have went back to a stock tune and edited it from there. Nothing seems to work. I am hoping its something simple and a light bulb will come on for one of you with a lot of experience.

The car drives just fine with the base can tune but I know it needs tweaked and edited to be correct for the car. Any input is welcomed!

Have you checked the physical issues too? Under the hood there is a fuse called "CHMSL", which is the Center High Mount Stop Lamp. This is allegedly tied into the cruise control. Also, for the car not wanting to log RPM, you need to clear the last saved vehicle in the VCM scanner, then hook it up to your car to let it populate the supported pids. Looking at other tunes/scans has done the same thing to my scanner occasionally and I can't see why.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Potential Tuner
    Update: to verify my hypothesis I flashed the stock tune back into the car. Even though trims were way off. The cruise worked again... So I looked at the speedo stuff and it must have not liked my tire height change. I flashed my e85 tune but put the stock tire heights back into it and the cruise works again.

Now I just need to figure out the rpm portion. I tried resetting the scanner. No dice.

Potential Tuner
    Also... read a few threads on the HP tuners forum and found you have to sometimes go into your documents folder into the sublet of hp tuners and there is a vehicles folder. Open it and clear all vehicles you've scanned or tuned(I had 47 cars in there). I resync'd with my laptop and rpm and everything else is working correctly now!
    2004 Ion Redline K&N, Magnaflow, 2.9", e85, 60# Inj.
    2001 C5Z 402 F1x 24# Pump gas w/ meth

Advanced Tuner
    If you are using the ZZP e85 tune, those tend to have LTFTs in the 20+ range. Not the most dialed in of tunes. I have been able to solve it through MAF and VE tuning, no different than on any other Cobalt/Ion.

N/M, I thought you were running 80# injectors. I misread. Disregard my comment.
    Last edited by PSYKOSTEVO; 05-28-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Potential Tuner
    No worries. I pulled a file from the repository. But I had to change a lot of things because some of it didn't make sense and counter-acted itself. I have it pretty much done now, ltft at idle +/- 1-2% and cruising is +/- 3%. I have MAF/VE up to 2500rpm. MAF above that only. Although I am thinking about extending the VE range slightly higher as 80mph puts me slightly over 2500rpm.

I have had a slight issue with a tip-in issue off idle in light accel from a stop though. map sensor reads 85-99 kpa and the car has a little hesitation for some reason.
    2004 Ion Redline K&N, Magnaflow, 2.9", e85, 60# Inj.
    2001 C5Z 402 F1x 24# Pump gas w/ meth