Thread: 2011 LC9 5.3L TPS percentage at idle?

Potential Tuner

2011 LC9 5.3L TPS percentage at idle?

We're finishing up a conversion installing a 2011 LC9/6L80E into a Land Rover Defender. Have performed the throttle position relearn but it is showing 18% at idle. Is that within normal specs? What are the factory guidelines? Just purchased the HPA Gold membership but haven't had time to take all the trainings. Thank you in advance.

Sounds about right to me, 17-22 or something is what I remember.

They also only read to 84% at WOT for that PID. I think you can log the TPS, and APP (the pedal) to see what each say, the pedal will read to 100%.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Sounds about right to me, 17-22 or something is what I remember.

They also only read to 84% at WOT for that PID. I think you can log the TPS, and APP (the pedal) to see what each say, the pedal will read to 100%.
    Thank you for confirming that. Much appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    Saw this and figured I'd jump in...

18% is too high. Think about it, it's taking 18% of your total throttle opening just to idle? If the engine is used, make sure the throttle body and plate is clean. If it is, then you might want to look into your ign timing and idle airflow stuff in your tune. On a totally stock, clean throttle body and plate, fully warmed up LS engine in park the idle percentage should be around 5% to 15%. In gear may or may not be higher, it depends on what's in the tune as far as timing changes in gear. I've seen stock tunes run 8% in park and 7% in drive just because the ign timing goes up in gear. Currently my supercharged LSA is idling at around 5% throttle, 20-25 degrees of ign timing. That's roughly where everything runs efficiently. Up to 20% is "OK" if the engine is a little tired, the tune is bone stock or the throttle body isn't super clean. But ideally you want it under 10%.

I even looked at the sample log of the 2009 silverado we all get with the hp tuners software and it showed something like 17-20% while it was at idle. That with the default table display aswell.

My NBS truck was really low, under 8% all the time but my NNBS truck is higher.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.