Thread: 2009 colorado with security system lockouts

Potential Tuner

2009 colorado with security system lockouts

I have a 2009 Colorado 4 door with the 3.7 I5 engine I believe it has either Passkey 3 0r 3+ according to what I found online I would like to disable the anti theft and I have HP tuner and have done the read on it but im not sure what setting I need to disable to keep the truck from making me wait 10 minutes to start when it decides not to.

Tuner
    I'm not sure turning off the antitheft will work for your truck.. Is your truck even cranking?? I am not an expert on HPtuner so I can't walk you thru disabling theft on your truck, for the E38 ecm's the vats(theft) enable/disable is right under the general heading of the tunes..

Your truck uses the immobilizer signal also as a crank signal.. So if the BCM goes into theft mode I am not even sure if it will send a crank request signal.. you might be able to, but just keep that in your head I guess?? The description and operation is pasted below..

Immobilizer Description and Operation (North America, except Canada)
    Immobilizer System
    The immobilizer system determines whether engine starting will be allowed based on a pull-down voltage created by the security resistor located in the ignition switch. When the ignition is in the START position, 5 volts is applied to the security resistor by the body control module (BCM) via the ignition key resistor signal circuit. A ground path is provided back to the BCM by the off/run/crank voltage circuit. This circuit is also used in power moding operations. With the ignition in the START position, a voltage value is produced on ignition key resistor signal circuit based on the resistance of the security resistor. Each available resistor will produce a unique voltage value seen at the BCM. During immobilizer programming, the BCM learns this voltage value. On a start attempt, the BCM will compare actual voltage seen to the learned value. If the voltage seen and the learned value do not match, vehicle starting will be disabled.

The components of the immobilizer system are as follows:

•Ignition switch
    •Body Control Module (BCM)
    •Engine Control Module (ECM)
    •Security indicator
    Ignition Switch
    The ignition switch receives a 5-volt reference from the body control module (BCM) via the ignition key resistor signal circuit. When in the start position, the 5-volt reference travels through the security resistor within the ignition switch. This creates a unique voltage value which is returned to the BCM via the off/run/crank voltage circuit.

Body Control Module (BCM)
    The BCM contains the logic of the theft deterrent system. The BCM provides the 5-volt reference to operate the security resistor. The BCM also measures the voltage of the off/run/crank voltage. The voltage measured will indicate whether the security resistor has been activated and whether the resistance value is a valid value or the tamper value. If voltage measured is in the valid range, the BCM compares this voltage to a previously learned voltage code. If the voltage codes match, the BCM sends a serial data message containing fuel enable password to the engine control module (ECM). If the voltage codes do not match, the voltage is in the tamper range, or there is a circuit fault, the BCM will not send a start disable password to the ECM, and the vehicle will not start.

Engine Control Module
    The ECM contains the remainder of the logic of the immobilizer system. If a serial data message containing a valid fuel enable password is received from the BCM, the ECM will continue to allow the fuel injectors to operate. The ECM will allow the fuel injectors to operate until it decides there is no valid password coming from the BCM. If the ECM does not receive a serial data message, or receives a serial data message with an incorrect password, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.

Security Indicator
    The instrument panel cluster (IPC) illuminates the security indicator as determined by the immobilizer or content theft deterrent (CTD) system. The security indicator is illuminated when the BCM provides a ground on the security indicator control circuit.

•The immobilizer system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is ON.
    •The CTD system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is in the OFF or ACC positions or during retained accessory power (RAP).
    •The BCM performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by scott1961 View Post
    I have a 2009 Colorado 4 door with the 3.7 I5 engine I believe it has either Passkey 3 0r 3+ according to what I found online I would like to disable the anti theft and I have HP tuner and have done the read on it but im not sure what setting I need to disable to keep the truck from making me wait 10 minutes to start when it decides not to.

Potential Tuner
    It does not turn over and light flashes for 10 minites then goes on solid then it will start. looking at my read under system and general it has starter diagnostics has anyone disabled this to do away the problem where engine will not even turn over till you wait the 10 minutes I think this may be the same as the vats disable on other vehicles anyone have any info on this.
    Last edited by scott1961; 05-28-2015 at 07:26 AM.

more than likely it's a bcm fritz we had a small rash of them a couple years ago. diagnostics suck on these. i even followed the chart to the ign switch/tdm. the fix every time for the intermittent issue was a bcm and none returned.......unless they came back and tek actually fixed them!