Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning 6.0 4l80e. Cia, shift kit,True dual exhaust

Tuner in Training

New to tuning 6.0 4l80e. Cai, shift kit,True dual exhaust

brand new to this so im full of questions.i have 2000 2500 silverado with 6.0 4l80e 4x4. its got cai, true dual exhuast, shift kit with 30in. tires. my first question is about the O.S. im thinking i should be using the 1bar. just kinda scared to mess things up. if anyone will walk me through this i would greatly appreitte it. my real problem is the shift from 4th to overdrive. but ill get to that later. PLEASE HELP
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jaysonpeyton; 06-14-2015 at 02:49 PM.

here is a thread i started when i had questions w the same basic setup. my tunes are in it to to look at compare and copy and paste some tables if u so choose if u have a shift kit those tables will be a lot different.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...rd-i-apologoze!

also ranger posted his stuff up here.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ne-for-2007LQ4

Senior Tuner
    Anyone that thinks huge PE delays don't exist on 6.0Ls should take a look at the the log in Post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Anyone that thinks huge PE delays don't exist on 6.0Ls should take a look at the the log in Post #1.
    wish his tune was posted to see what his PE settings were at.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-26-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    let me figure out how to post my tune . I have not tuned any thing.all ive done was record stuff. Havent changed nothin.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so i thought i did post my tune In my first post. If not how do i post it?

that was your scan that you posted. need your tune (the one you flash into your vehicle), generally ends in .hpt not .hpl. You'll post it the same way as you did the scan.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    i beleave this is it
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jaysonpeyton; 05-28-2015 at 05:02 AM.

I must have missed something in that scan? Don't see AFR commanded or WB readings. Are you making that observation from the NB O2 voltages?
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Tuner in Training
    Man i dont even know what NB 02 VOLTAGES ARE. Just to let yall know i dont have wideband yet.soon though. How can i go about getting the readings u dont see here?

do a search on how to setup your scanner, as far as adding sensors and pid's and etc.....

I'm assuming 2xLS1 was watching your fuel trim cell # to know when you went into PE, but from what i saw, you weren't scanning anything that said you had a huge delay in PE fueling. You can get an idea by watching your Narrow Band voltages, but they're not very accurate when outside of stoich (14.68). There's a good chance he knows something i don't. Normal practice is to watch commanded AFR and WB when in WOT OL.

With your modifications, you can expect to see about a 8-15% increase in your airflow. So you'll need to adjust both your MAF and VE table once you learn how to start plotting data VS. your MAF table and VE table. You can do quite a bit of tuning without your WB. Start doing part throttle tuning of both your MAF and VE using fuel trims. In my experience you can usually predict how much you'll need to add/subtract from your WOT areas in both MAF and VE just by noticing the progressive change in your part throttle areas. It won't be dead on, but it'll be damn close when you start using your WB. I can usually get within 3-5% on the rich side predicting that way.

Since you're new, i would recommend searching MAF tuning, VE tuning, Closed loop tuning, Open loop tuning, etc......pretty much every write up you can get your hands on. Or start buying some books. I easily have over $2k invested in books and videos myself..... There are numerous ways to approach multiple tuning scenarios, and the more of them you know of and read about, the better understanding you'll have, as opposed to blindly following some procedure and not truly understanding what you're accomplishing with that procedure.

Just an FYI........A lot of us on here are willing to help, but you'll find some of us get annoyed when its obvious the time hasn't been invested on the other end when people come asking questions that have been asked and answered multiple times. So be sure to do your do-diligence in finding what you can across the various forums (beyond hptuner's also). I have found a simple google search of my problem generally lays out a lot of different places that have gone over my same problem.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-29-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Senior Tuner
    You're assuming wrong. Not even looking at the Table Display. So you don't see anything there that suggests PE is being delayed? There are at least 4 more examples of the same thing in that log.

60 PE Delay.JPG

Please explain 2xLS1... So i know what to look for! Im new too!

You're assuming wrong. Not even looking at the Table Display. So you don't see anything there that suggests PE is being delayed? There are at least 4 more examples of the same thing in that log.

60 PE Delay.JPG
    Are you looking at the instance of it staying in Closed loop with the trims still active? For me i'd have to see TPS%, RPM, MAP and TRQ % Delivered to even know if it's suppose to be commanded at all. Of course Commanded AFR is a lot easier to watch. From what i see in that scan, it wouldn't be a delay, it would be the lack of it being commanded at all, looking at that scan again, i would say the TPS % or trq delivery value wasn't high enough to trigger PE. 6.0's are generally set to have the PE enable set at 90% TPS and 100% TRQ Delivered. And of course the delay set below 5500 rpm and for 1 minute. I guess my thought process would lead to the issue of it being stock tune related (the rpm and time delay) as opposed to what liter engine it is. But i am curious and am excited to hear what you know. This is the stuff i love to learn from others that you won't find in the books.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-29-2015 at 04:07 PM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

You know what, i think i just realized what you are referring to. I misunderstood what it was you were alluding to (and maybe i still don't know). I pulled up a hand full of my tunes and compared the 5.3's to the 6.0's and you are correct in that the stock 6.0's PE are all delayed a lot! They're tuned with a 60 sec delay compared to the 2 secs the 5.3's have. The only 6.0 tunes i have that are different with a 5500 rpm and 0 sec delay are the lq9's. I guess i've never really paid attention since i rarely care what the stock tunes are since i have my own favored values that i automatically change them too.
    Now to why GM uses a larger delay, in my opinion, it would be the general setup where 6.0's are found in heavier rigs with 4l80's, which have a crappy 2.48 first gear. They're a dog out of the hole, and since it takes that much longer to build RPM maybe that's why they delay the PE for that amount. I'd like to think they're taking advantage of increased torque with it being lean, but i kinda doubt it, most likely for emissions.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-29-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Its cool to see your post Ranger6202. You drive yourself nuts figuring things out. Very smart man. And very helpfull to us learning! Thanks!

I do enjoy fixing things, and it's true i go nuts, the only down fall is when it's time to go to bed. I find myself staring at the ceiling still "fixing" things. Hard to shut the troubleshooting motor in my head off. The only fear i have is ticking someone off by coming across pampas or arrogant. Sometimes the way i word things comes off that way, and i have none of those intentions. Mostly i want people to call me out on my stuff, and show/teach me what's wrong, cause i don't want to be the guy that has been doing something wrong and leading others astray.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-29-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

k so for you all to yell at me.......my pe delay was huge and just by lowering the delay rpm and tp i hurt performance because these trucks are tuned to never really hit pe....ime. u can tell by the stock delay rpm and tp. i actually in the end delayed my pe and he was much happier but we never tuned his pe per say.....so again in my opinion... unless you are tuning w a wideband and tuning your untuned factory pe leave it alone. please refer to the links in the first post i posted which was the first response before attacking. ranger what you said makes sense w being a dog out of the hole.

jaysonpeyton here is a great link explaining all the different lingo and what stuff does. it's a long read even for me a veteran tech new to tuning but well worth it.

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

We all know leaner is meaner, and a lot of us are afraid to run lean due to detonation, but i'm with you Howes, in the last 5-6 months i've changed my approach to PE to take advantage of staying as lean as possible and slowly bringing it in till i hit about 3-4k rpm. I've found it to give you a firmer, quicker roll into the power band. I was scared at first, but like you observed, the factory tunes are all delayed and attack PE afr VERY slowly. That there gives ya an idea of taking advantage of a lean afr and not worrying about detonation. The key to use the lean mixture with out detonation is to be sure you have your PE adders setup with the iat and etc. The only place i have finally found where you need to get to your enrichment afr attacked quick, is with boost. With NA, i never saw knock due to being lean as i built RPM. Now that i've boosted one of my rigs, i've pretty much had to stage a little enrichment beforehand to prepare for the surge of air. I've done both a supercharged vette and now 2 turbo'd trucks, and it's obvious the turbo'd rigs need to stage the PE enrichment more than the supercharged setup. Most likely due to the lack of spool the SC has, where the turbo's tend to come in like a freight train. I have a theory that has to do with TAU and i could probably help that transition with some transient adjustment. But i'm a little lazy and find it easier to just stage my Boost enrichment with my Power Enrichment. Howes, if you look at that tune i posted in that other thread, check my PE EQ ratio out and see how i curve my PE in rather than step straight too it.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx