Thread: How to tune surge when letting off throttle with a big cam?

How to tune surge when letting off throttle with a big cam?

So, I have a 234/242 111 Camshaft in an 02 Trans Am with 16 degrees of overlap. I was able to tune low-load surge out by adding a ton of airflow to the follower tables and lowering spark in the problem areas. So when applying throttle, under load, I rarely get surge. That's good and thanks to Ed Hutchings for helping me with that.

But in off-throttle situations (I have DFCO disabled), I get some surging. It goes a bit rich still, so that doesn't help. I've added some airflow to the cracker tables. But maybe I need more (I have the 1000 and 1600 columns zero'd out to help with return to idle)... I've also tried to tune the transient fuel table by lowering it some, but it hasn't done much (don't want to mess with that too much).

Any suggestions?

Not sure as no tune to look at, but have you tried reducing the timing in the .08-.24 g/cyl and 1200 to 20000 rpm idle base in gear area? make it equal to your normal idle timing value.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Here's my tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

from my experiance, suring is from a rich condition
    '02 Corvette
    LS6, MN6, LT's/X pipe and TI's, Honker CAI, AI 243 heads, PatG Custom Cam, FAST 102, LS2 TB, Red Top inj, HPTuners & NGK/AFX

Should I turn DFCO on then? That would def help lean it out on decel.