Thread: MAF/Idle tuning 2003 2500HD 8.1 litre

MAF/Idle tuning 2003 2500HD 8.1 litre

Sounds like an easy question, just start it up,stay in open loop and record.

Problem is(and im just being anal) it is a fresh...never turned over engine. It's not a G8 but my son's 2003 2500HD that was an 8.1 Litre that is now 9.3. The last thing i want to do is crank and tune.....crank and tune...etc since i am seating my rings. My biggest concern would be to get it idling without washing out the cylinders, then a MAF adjustment while it's idling. I'm guessing dividing 496 into 572 will get me close on the MAF scale which adds 1.15. I would put that above idle 3000Hz and up. The cam is a little bigger and more duration but everything else for now is stock. If this is feasible, my next concern would be my idle, how should i approach this.

I'm not used to tuning an older ECM with VE either and would like someone to double check to see if i have it disabled. I do have the EGR master disabled.Also what i would need to change in order to go open loop and do the MAF tune with this ECM.

My biggest concern is the IDLE, getting somewhat close with the MAF initially so i can fine tune it after it warms up and i take it out under load/unload to seat the rings

Stock heads,intake, mild cam,cai

This will be done watching the fuel trims since it has no wideband...yet.

Does anybody know anyone who had tuned one??

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok apparently my truck had a tune on it. I have only cahanged a few points mostly to disable VE for now. BUUUUUUT when i checked against 2 repository files, there were a lot of changes made. It had a stock cam/crank in it when i tore it apart. Trying to figure if i should start with the tune that came with the truck or copy/paste everything back to stock and start from there...

Thoughts??

EDIT:

It looks like the truck had a major tune done to it. Again if someone can give me an idea on what they might have done and if it would work with larger displacement and a mild cam. I'm not looking for exact answers but maybe an idea....please...
    Last edited by Ghostnotes; 05-23-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    As long as you didn't change your air intake path at all the MAF should still be calibrated.

It's running....kind of. If some of the more seasoned tuners could take a look at the tune/log i would appreciate it. I also posted a log...a short one. When cold it will idle until warm, then it will start to struggle a little. If i then turn it off and restart it, it will not stay idling unless i keep it cracked open, which it what i was doing in the log. When off idle it seems to run good. I put it in gear while keeping the pedal cracked and it runs fine. I let off of it and it dies.

Thought it might be the EGR but it has a master disable. Will that suffice??
    Also with this ECM what will i need to do in order to disable VE for now.
    I do plan on VE tuning but tuning it out looks a little different than an E38...G8GT.

I think I'm close on the idle but need a little help.

Made some progress. It's definitely drivable and idle is getting better, i could use a little help though. I'm sure there is LOTS of power to be had. That and if someone could give me a hint on how to disable torque management for the tranny. I think its getting in the way of my progress on the engine itself. From what i hear, these Allison 1000's neuter the power with torque mgmt.

I'm not asking for handouts and I'm really unfamiliar with this system. I've gotten this far and have a few ideas. I changed the delay/decay and that helped a lot along with desires max airflow. but i would like some conformation as to if this is the correct way.

Anybody?

Potential Tuner
    Hey Ghostnotes, did you ever get this one lined out? I'm new to tuning and have Suburban with the 8.1 and looking for some insight. I'm also not to far from you in Texas. Any help learning this system would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 496burb View Post
    Hey Ghostnotes, did you ever get this one lined out? I'm new to tuning and have Suburban with the 8.1 and looking for some insight. I'm also not to far from you in Texas. Any help learning this system would be appreciated.

Yes but I have not had that truck since 2016. I'll have to dig around and see if I even still have those tune files.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7