Thread: can't install drivers- windows 8

Tuner in Training

can't install drivers- windows 8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLD_1eLZQU

I have the disc in and the interface plugged in to the usb. the interface is not plugged in to an obd2 port. I get error code 31 when I try to update the drivers.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    click search for drivers rather than locate on disk.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

There are no built in drivers available in Windows 8 for the interface.

Connect to the internet, connect the interface, choose update driver from Windows Updates and it will load from the internet.

Tuner in Training
    I'm trying that now it's saying "searching online for software" and it's been loading for about 5 minutes. should I have an hptuners desktop icon at this point? I have a shortcut on my Taskbar for vcm editor and for vcm scanner.

Tuner in Training
    ok it's been almost 3 hours and we're still searching for software. any other ideas?

This is from the help files located at http://www.hptuners.com/help/

For those machines that refuse to load the correct USB drivers here is what you can try to fix the issue:

Plug the MPVI interface in, go to the control panel, device drivers, expand the USB section.

The drivers should be on the CD or you can always download the latest drivers from here: www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT_MPVI_Drivers.zip.

Steps:

If FTDI A,B are seen and not HP Tuners MPVI Channel A, B, right click on FTDI A and uninstall. Do the same for FTDI B.
    Unplug the MPVI.
    Unzip the USB driver files (if you downloaded them).
    Plug the MPVI back in.
    This time when Windows finds a new device, manually select the drivers in the unzipped folder or CD.
    If Windows refuses to load the correct drivers, repeat step 1 but this time do not unplug the MPVI. Right click on whatever drivers Windows installed for the MPVI and select "Update Driver". Now direct Windows to the folder or CD where the drivers are.
    2014 HSV Clubsport R8, 6.2L LS3 engine
    VCM OTR + Tuned
    Magnuson MP1900 supercharger, 9psi pulley and 60lb injectors to be added soon

Quote Originally Posted by mtdill7 View Post
    ok it's been almost 3 hours and we're still searching for software. any other ideas?
    Are you sure it's not waiting on you to respond to the "UAC" during those 3 hours? Did you disable "UAC"?

I've done several setups on Windows 8 systems and it would only load drivers from Microsoft Update. The drivers on the oem disc would not work. Other users may have a different outcome.

BTW! My experience has only been with Windows 8.1 Pro..........other OS's may vary!

Tuner in Training
    i turned off UAc and that did not help. when I go to "control panel>device manager> USB contollers" nothing shows up about mpvi, or hptuners, or ftdi. if I go to the device manager and open the CD/DVD section, there are two things that say HP TUNERS MPVI and they both have a yellow warning icon. when I click on them they say that they're working improperly and give me this error :

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The device is not in a valid state to perform this request.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    email support.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by mtdill7 View Post
    i turned off UAc and that did not help. when I go to "control panel>device manager> USB contollers" nothing shows up about mpvi, or hptuners, or ftdi. if I go to the device manager and open the CD/DVD section, there are two things that say HP TUNERS MPVI and they both have a yellow warning icon. when I click on them they say that they're working improperly and give me this error :

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The device is not in a valid state to perform this request.
    Yes........this is normal because it doesn't have built in drivers.

Double click on one of the devices that show the yellow exclamation. Select the driver tab and click update driver. Now, first insure you have an active internet connection (open IE, Firefox, Chrome before it searches) and minimize it. Select "Microsoft Update" and let it do it's thing. The yellow exclamation will disappear once complete.

You're buying the first round! LOL!

Potential Tuner
    I have been playing hell trying to get my HPTuners to work on my Surface Pro 3 and am having these issues. I have done the post above mentioned directions only there isn't a "microsoft update" it says either;

"Search automatically for updated driver software" which is Windows will search your computer and the internet for latest driver software unless you have disabled this feature in your device install settings.

The other option says;

"Browse my computer for driver software" which is located and install driver software manually.

I selected the search automatically and like the guy above, I just get a "searching online for software" that goes for hours if I let it before canceling the task.