Thread: New tune/swap running really Rich

Tuner in Training

New tune/swap running really Rich

Hey guys. I just finished this swap into my TA with a tune from texas speed. With having a few problems and not being able to read or diagnose a thing i decided to get hp tuners. Hoping that this log will get us started on finding what is wrong with my car.

Quick background. It is a 2000 5.3 mostly stock (new springs, cam and ls1 intake) The cam is from comp XR281HR. Im running truck MAF, MAP and Throttle body.

Basically on new plugs this thing runs pretty good but roughly 10 min in and theyre carbon fouled. Currently i am thinking maybe a vacuum leak or maybe the map is bad or parameters need changed since im right around 10in of vacuum? Not sure as this is my first fuel injected car and LS. Thanks for the help in advance and im looking forward to learning from you guys. Below is a roughly a 30 second datalog to get it started. Some at idle some holding 2000+ rpm and 1 or 2 quick revs to see how everything reacts and reads.

5.3TA1.cfg

Tuner in Training
    Any helps or suggestions would be great. Like i said im a newbie at this stuff and i really couldnt tell ya if its a bad sensor doing this or what. Hopefully ill get some time in the next few days to try and find a vacuum leak.

Senior Tuner
    You posted a scanner config file, not a log file. Log files are .hpl. And a log file you described is pretty useless. Log some driving with some steady state at different mphs, some light acceleration, and a few wot events. Post the tune file also.

Tuner in Training
    To tell ya the truth i dont think i can drive this thing based on just how rich it is. I might get 10 min of run time? As far as the datalog thats what i was told will work. Sorry i literally just bought this thing 2 days ago and im still learning it.

Tuner in Training
    So all i had to do is look haha
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    First thing I do when I have one running pig rich is disconnect the front 02 sensors and see if that clears it up. I don't know how many times I've had cars/trucks running like their flooding due to bad 02 sensors. Another thing to do is verify what your fuel pressure is at the fuel rail.

Senior Tuner
    Are you running open headers or open exhaust by the O2 sensors? If you are you cant run closed loop that way. The fuel trims are maxed out adding fuel because the O2 sensor voltages are staying below 450mv. The PCM is adding fuel trying to drive them to a higher voltage but they never do. If you have open exhaust they are seeing outside air as being in the exhaust and telling the PCM to add fuel.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting. I was told that the o2s would not make this happen! Yes its open headers as i couldnt pull this thing out on the road safely and drive it to the exhaust shop thats 25 min away. I'll see what happens when i unplug them. Is it safe to run w/o o2 sensors that far? Sorry again for my ignorance as this is my first time around anything fuel injected. The o2 sit roughly 3in away from the end of the header fyi

Tuner in Training
    So i was easily able to unplug my o2 sensor on passenger side.
    Not sure but i ran it for a few min and it wouldnt even try to throw out any STFT but it seems to be decent at idle minus the fact i have alot of carbon on plugs

5.3 pass o2 unplug.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Reset the fuel trims with the scanner bi directional controls. LTFTs are still showing +25%.

Tuner in Training
    ok, i need to either learn how to tune the front o2s out or take them out till i get to the exhaust shop. Ill get new plugs in the am if some1 wants to help me with the o2s. Also ill reset the LTFT's once i get that tune in. Thanks again guys!! This has stumped many people up to this point. Whats a good LTFT?

Tuner
    Just disconnect them, hook the scanner up and clear the LTFT, as mentioned, and you should be abe to sanely drive it to the exhaust shop.

Tuner in Training
    Ok sounds good. Can't believe it was really just that easy. I feel rather stupid now. Thanks again.