Thread: Whats the best way to tune timing on a street tune

Tuner in Training

Whats the best way to tune timing on a street tune

Any tips or Histograms you guys use that work well and you don't mind sharing with a newb? I would like to try to tune the timing table on my stock Silverado.

Other than adding more and watching for KR.. But not a real good idea. More timing doesnt always mean more power.

Tuner
    I'm gonna subscribe to this thread, lol.. I've been working on my 2013..

So far for timing all I have done is remove some where I was seeing lots of kr.. Take 2 degrees away and you don't get 5 or 6 degrees taken away from knock.. I also raised the spark decay table a little so it's not taking the timing away for so long.. It's not huge but I notice the difference, especially on a steady cruise where I tip in a little or the hill steepens.. Used to feel like it would falter a little bit or like the hill got steeper than it actually was.. Now it just keeps chugging up the hill..

Tuner in Training
    I don't get any Knock Retard now. Im starting to think its pointless to tune a stock Vehicle. I just see a lot of people having stock trucks etc tuned and talk about picking up 15-20 hp

Its not pointless. You can improve power and throttle response alot. Make sure your maf is clean. And tune your VE and maf tables. Depends what vehicle really. As to normal areas to look at. But you can make great improvements with stock calibrations.

Tuner in Training
    Right now the vehicle is a 2003 Silverado 5.3 automatic. I also have a 2005 sierra reg cab short bed with the 4.8 and auto Id like to try to get a little more out of.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by texterror View Post
    I don't get any Knock Retard now. Im starting to think its pointless to tune a stock Vehicle. I just see a lot of people having stock trucks etc tuned and talk about picking up 15-20 hp
    It's not pointless. I've never seen a vehicle not pick up power and milage with a correctly done custom tune.

The only way to tune timing on the street is to find a way to measure progress. It's the same way it's done on a loaded dyno and at the track. Make a change, measure the difference. Good luck.

Besides the knock retard, pick a "quite", straight, hidden stretch of road. Perform non wheel spin acceleration runs logging your mph as well as other pids like timing Trims/Wideband etc.. as you make timing changes, measure log times say from 20 mph rollout to 60 mph. if your time decreases, then you are going in the right direction.

Actually the best place to do this is at the track where you can measure your trap speed.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    It's not pointless to tune a stock vehicle...I've always gained enough to justify it. Trucks usually more than cars.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by texterror View Post
    The gains are not found with 87 octane. If you stay with 87, you won't find much, but you can still make improvements with TQ management and things like that.
    Jaime

I have not found a stock vehicle that I could not improve upon.

Interestingly enough but you can have 2 of the exact same vehicles and each one takes a little different tuning to make them work the same. I know it seems weird in words and concept but never seems to amaze me how making subtle VE and timing and torque management settings can make pretty nice differences to a vehicle.

Anyway point is, it is not pointless and I don't own a perfectly stock vehicle.

.....and thats how you set timing on the street!

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mowton View Post
    .....and thats how you set timing on the street!

Ed M
    Lmao. Well said sir.

Senior Tuner
    LOLZZZ.... For WOT take your timing up till you see a blip of KR and then back it out just a degree or two. With cruise aim for 40-42* and you'll be in good shape. For non-PE under load conditions find KR and back it out around 3-4*, you'll make good torque numbers there. As said, this is not ideal, but it works very well to get a base table on it. Then its track time. I like to make a couple of tunes before I go that will increase timing a couple of degrees or retard it. Look at your 1/8th mile et and speed, not the 1/4, too many variables when you use data from a full 1/4, I find the 1/8 is a much better way to go.(Just me and I'm sure there are other ideas but this is how I do it) Your WOT timing will not change much at the track at all, its the off the line timing and getting into PE where your going to pick up power. I cannot stress enough how much a smooth table helps you, make it look like moulded glass. The feel of everyday driving will be impeccable when you do
    2000 Trans Am WS6