Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What in the World could be causing this Idle / Timing Issue???

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pganci View Post
    Yes the MAF was still plugged in. When I was doing it I had the maf fail high to 0 and low to 10000. What should I set the dynamic airflow to?
    Just read this... Was your CEL on? You might have to cut it off and fire it up a couple of times to make sure it's failed, then when it is failed you can cut it off and fire it back up without issues...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Yeah... need to be 100% sure the MAF is failed. Set the error P0101'ish (all of them referring to MAF) to report on the first error, make sure the CEL comes on..
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    I also just noticed something and wondering if this wasn't your problem... Someone please clarify this for me as I'm not 100% sure. Do you not still need to copy and paste the VE table into the other tables? By other tables I'm referring to manifold switch open/closed/dod and so on... All of these are still "stock" is the only reason I was wondering. I've always copied and pasted my current VE table into these and was just curious... Especially since none of the changes were doing anything as of yet?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Just read this... Was your CEL on? You might have to cut it off and fire it up a couple of times to make sure it's failed, then when it is failed you can cut it off and fire it back up without issues...
    Yes the CEL was and code 0102 is display when I check DTC's..
    Last edited by pganci; 06-29-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    2003 Escalade ESV, 408, 2.9 Whipple, Dragonslayer, Compstar I-Beams, Wiseco 20cc, PRC LS3/L92 Heads, 231/242 .617".610" 113, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8 LT's, 4L80e, Circle D Triple Disk 2400, SFI Flexplate, Custom 3" Dual Exhaust, LS3 Harness E38/T42 Controllers, ZR-1 MAP, Chiller System

SemperFi

I also just noticed something and wondering if this wasn't your problem... Someone please clarify this for me as I'm not 100% sure. Do you not still need to copy and paste the VE table into the other tables? By other tables I'm referring to manifold switch open/closed/dod and so on... All of these are still "stock" is the only reason I was wondering. I've always copied and pasted my current VE table into these and was just curious... Especially since none of the changes were doing anything as of yet?
    I am only have to make changes to the Manifold Switch Open, the others revert back when it calculates the coefficients.
    2003 Escalade ESV, 408, 2.9 Whipple, Dragonslayer, Compstar I-Beams, Wiseco 20cc, PRC LS3/L92 Heads, 231/242 .617".610" 113, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8 LT's, 4L80e, Circle D Triple Disk 2400, SFI Flexplate, Custom 3" Dual Exhaust, LS3 Harness E38/T42 Controllers, ZR-1 MAP, Chiller System

SemperFi

I was just looking under Diagnostics Airflow and comparing it to a stock file and I see there are a bunch of fields that have been max'd out. Not sure if this was done because this a GenIII to Gen IV with a Speartech Harness conversion or if this is just what was done to get it running by the original tuner.

Maybe just grasping at straws but when I see something that looks out the norm I have to ask.

Engine Diag's Air Flow.JPG

SemperFi

I don't agree with doing it that way, but it will at least get any errors to go away. The problem is if the throttle sticks or something like that, the computer will never figure it out on it's own. The delta ones basically compare the MAF and VE airflow #'s and allows a certain amount of error or difference between the two..If the error is too high it will go into reduced power mode to help stop you from running into something at WOT. Right now yours is set to accept an error that is very very high, where usually in stock form they won't.

Doubt they are your problem though

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I've been wondering that too. I

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    I am only have to make changes to the Manifold Switch Open, the others revert back when it calculates the coefficients.
    I think you need to be making the changes in manifold switch closed.... Heck, I don't see any problems with just copying and pasting it into each since they all should be the same anyway. Not sure why they would be reverting back? I know on the older sd os ones, you set them all the same...

Try knocking your diag ones back down as well... They shouldn't need to be maxed...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Alright, I just confirmed what you were talking about with your tune and here is what I found to be a work around...

Go into the table where it allows you to make changes, change it back to how your originally set up your ve with the copy, paste and interpolate between for your boost regions. Then calculate coefficients, then go to the individual tables where it changes the values "constant, map and so on" then copy the changed line and paste it into the other lines. This will make the changes necessary to all of the sd tables...

Then after all that set your maf back up to fail then start making your changes and see if it's different this time.

~Greg Huggins~

I think you need to be making the changes in manifold switch closed.... Heck, I don't see any problems with just copying and pasting it into each since they all should be the same anyway. Not sure why they would be reverting back? I know on the older sd os ones, you set them all the same...

Try knocking your diag ones back down as well... They shouldn't need to be maxed...
    Sorry I meant Closed. Even tunes I have from the repository with different OS's only allow changes to the Closed table. I copied in setting from a stock OS so I will see what that does.

SemperFi

Alright, I just confirmed what you were talking about with your tune and here is what I found to be a work around...

Go into the table where it allows you to make changes, change it back to how your originally set up your ve with the copy, paste and interpolate between for your boost regions. Then calculate coefficients, then go to the individual tables where it changes the values "constant, map and so on" then copy the changed line and paste it into the other lines. This will make the changes necessary to all of the sd tables...

Then after all that set your maf back up to fail then start making your changes and see if it's different this time.
    I feel like that has to be a bug... it does the same thing on my car. If I change any of the VE tables in the virtual VE editor, other than the "manifold switch closed" table, it basically goes back to the original values when I hit calculate coefficients. The manifold closed one works as expected. Very strange. I wonder if this is a bug or on purpose.

I see what you mean though.. it's easy enough to copy all the coefficients over, but I really don't think we should have to.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Thanks for the post guys. And i think it may be a bug. Report it. And thank you GHuggins. I have figured out and learned alot from your post! This forum is the best!

Very cool, I will give this a try tomorrow and see what happens. It makes sense that I was able to drive around normal but as soon as I went into boost/PE it went drop dead lean, it was going to OL when that table was not changed.

I'm guessing its this way since we are still in beta.

Thanks

SemperFi

Tuning Addict
    I hope this is your issue Paul. Not exactly sure with what's going on with 2.25. Love just about every aspect of 2.25 I've played with except for the little issues with the vve...... It needs to create map points. It needs to save "your" custom axis settings. It needs to be able to multiply by percent. It needs to be able to compare tune to tune. Then I'm sure so on and on. Happy as heck we've got it now and it cuts out all of the hassles that we occassionally had to experiance before. SO I'm not going to complain too much Now as for the scanner? Well not going to say much as it's not done, but just basic layout - don't like, but that's me? Hopefully it'll be up and going soon and we can learn "all" of it's benefits?

Smokestack, allways glad to help. That's what forum communities like this are supposed to be for I think schpenxel, higgs, jassons5555, mowton, dstek and others have helped me about as much as I've helped anyone else, so I'de pay attention to their post too

Real joy having Bill out this last weekend too. He was a "friend of a friend" I guess. Didn't even realize he had showed up yet until I looked outside and spotted him just walking through the general crowd with everyone Was cool having him there with our top fuel friends checking out our dyno runs, the shop and everything else... Even better when he said he was going to come back and "play" in our ZL1... He should really enjoy it after it's "next" build

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
    Thanks for the post guys. And i think it may be a bug. Report it. And thank you GHuggins. I have figured out and learned alot from your post! This forum is the best!
    I second that, this forum has been a wealth of information and I have learned a lot and will continue to learn to be able to take care of my toy. I cant tell you how much I appreciate every one willing to share their time and wealth of knowledge to help out the do it your selfer's. Building the engine and the truck was the easy part, getting the tune right is another story and I have wasted thousands and thousands of dollars with tuners that say they can deliver and they just stuck their hand in my pocket.

I have been building this truck for 5 years been through 3 motors and 6 transmission builds and having my blower rebuilt twice. None of the issues were my own doing just faulty builders.

I am finally to the point to enjoy driving it every day and it is just a matter of fine tuning.

If this project has taught me one thing is if you can't do it yourself then you shouldn't be doing it.

If it wasn't for you guys I would still be just sitting around with my thumb up my butt.

Thank you for your support and willingness to share your knowledge. Sincerely Paul

SemperFi

That worked GHuggins. With the Open table now modified I was able to go into boosted regions and not see 60 % error so I am moving the in the right direction.

I received a OL Fault error that threw me into limp mode. I checked for DTC's and only had the 0102 for the MAF.

I searched the forum and didn't find anything that really told me what it means.

SemperFi

Tuning Addict
    That worked GHuggins. With the Open table now modified I was able to go into boosted regions and not see 60 % error so I am moving the in the right direction.

I received a OL Fault error that threw me into limp mode. I checked for DTC's and only had the 0102 for the MAF.

I searched the forum and didn't find anything that really told me what it means.
    So "open" does stand for open loop? Very interresting... I've always made the tables the same, so I never stopped to think about what each really stood for. SO, once were able to make these tables "individualized", we could in thought use these such as the open loop table for transient and cold startability instead of having to modify all of the modifiers... Hmmm.

I've run into the reduced engine power with the p0102 before and was able to just set "that" dtc to no error. Try that and see if it works for you. Most of the time it has for me, but that rare instance it wouldn't...

~Greg Huggins~

It looks that way, the way we are logging VE it is capturing both CL and OL and we just need to copy the individual VE tables as you suggested until a release that allows us to just copy to each VVE table.

The p0102 was actually set the whole time from failing the MAF but something triggered the Open Loop Fault. For some reason just before I started logging I added Fuel System Status to my config table so I was able to see the error.

I accelerated a couple of times going into PE/OL and on the third or fourth time it went from OL - Accel/Decel back to OL - Normal, I coasted for 18 seconds then I went back to about 26 TPS and the OL - Fault triggered. I was dead in the water, i gave it 50% throttle and nothing. Fortunately it reset by simply turning off then on.

I did find a thread that some Cobalt guys had OL - Fault and said it was because the rear O2's were missing and they had no resolution.

Attached is the log and config i was using. The OL - Fault happens at 7.21 seconds.

06.30.2015.VE2.hpl
    Default Imperial Paul VE.cfg

SemperFi

So I tried to do some VE tuning today but I keep getting OL - Fault after about 5 minutes of driving. The truck goes limp and the AFR reads 18. Does anyone know how to eliminate the OL - Fault?

Also, why did they take down the beta link download in the customer center, I unfortunately didn't save my downloads and the last one that was up that I downloaded crashes when you try to load a compare file.

SemperFi