Thread: Crate LS3 into 2002 Camaro

Crate LS3 into 2002 Camaro

Hey all so my cammed ls6 lunched a cylinder and I'm replacing it with an ls3 I picked up locally. Motor will be completely stock internally with bolt ons. My question is that my tuner is about 200 miles away and I also have to break in the engine since its brand new. I searched and could not find my answer, but can I simply copy the ve tables and other necessary tables from an 08 stock ls3 tune into my pcm? I'm thinking the answer is no since I know that when you retrofit ls3 injectors into an ls1 tune they have to be formatted correctly.

What would be my best bet for a tune to break the engine in and get it to the tuners? I would normally try to tackle this all myself but with my summer classes going on I just dont have the time. :/

Senior Tuner
    What are you planning to do about that 58x crank reluctor on the LS3?

using a lingenfelter box to trigger it

Advanced Tuner
    There are a few threads on here with the correct injector info you need youll just have to search. If the motor is stock you should be able to copy over the tables and take it easy on it. No wide open throttle until you get a tune.
    1993 reef blue Mustang coupe
    Ls1 conversion
    1 7/8 cooks headers
    AFR 205 heads
    Fast 92/92 intake
    PAT G./ EPS Custom cam 230/234 .600”/.602” 112LSA +2 advance
    century Built 4l60e with Circle D 3500 converter
    4.11 gears

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatls6 View Post
    There are a few threads on here with the correct injector info you need youll just have to search. If the motor is stock you should be able to copy over the tables and take it easy on it. No wide open throttle until you get a tune.
    No, no lol I have the ls3 injector already converted into ls1 format for my old setup. I was mainly referring to the ve tables. The maf I'll get into shape just real quick putting around town. I could use one from a bolt on ls1 for now but I wasnt sure if I could just copy a ve table from a newer vette or camaro. is that possible if not is there a way I can convert it?

Gm's break in procedure and all other break in procedures I have done usually need a few 50% hard acceleration runs with coast downs to help everything seat. I just dont know if thats safe using an LS1 ve table
    Last edited by 02pewterz28; 05-20-2015 at 11:37 AM.

bummmp. someone has to know the answer to this

Tuner
    If you know that the injector tables are good then dial in your MAF and do your break-in in MAF only mode. There's nothing wrong with running MAF only and you can let your tuner worry about the VE table.

Quote Originally Posted by 02pewterz28 View Post
    I wasnt sure if I could just copy a ve table from a newer vette or camaro. is that possible if not is there a way I can convert it?
    No, the Gen III uses a standard %VE value while the Gen IV and up utilize what is known as GMVE or Virtual VE where sensor data like cyl vol are already baked into the equation and a set of coeeficients are developed that the PCM actually works with. You have to use the Bluecat VVE tool to take the coeeficinets from the vehicle tune, convert them to a VE table (values are in the 1000's), perform the standard error correction and then recaculate a new set of coefficents based on this new GMVE table and lastly copy them back into the tune. These two formats are not compatible. You can just use the Gen III VE table that is compatible with the PCM you are using.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 05-21-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]