Thread: Strange shift behavior in "manual mode"

Strange shift behavior in "manual mode"

I changed the paddle shifters to remain inert in "manual mode" unless they're touched, so the transmission would continue to shift on its own and I could tune things more aggressively to be more of an all-around "sport mode".

Bear with me: while the shifter is in "manual" and the car is still shifting for itself, the TCM is using a shift table different than normal. I thought "Awesome! I can really make this a cool sport mode with a separate shift table!" So after some failed trial and error, I finally changed EVERY alternate shift table to my more aggressive shift points. End result: no change.

What is the car accessing for the automatic shifts with the shifter in "M"??
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    Kinda curious - how did you get the car to shift on its' own while in manual mode? My car doesn't really have "true" paddle shifters - you basically just limit the highest gear with them. So if I put mine in "manual" mode and set the gear to 3, for example, the car wil shift automatically for 1-2 and 2-3, but won't shift beyond 3 unless I tell it to. You can kinda, sorta make them act like paddle shifters, but not really... For example, it's impossible to start off in 2nd gear in my car while in manual mode....

Is it possible it just used your main shift table? Or did you confirm that it doesn't already?

Under Trans > Auto Shift Properties > General there's an option for "Up/Down Req" which means the shifter has to be in "M" PLUS a tap from the shift control to go into manual mode. Anyway, after tooling around a bit on my drive home, it's possible that the trans is using normal mode without 6th gear. Is that plausible? I was really hoping I'd be able to get it to work like a sport mode with a different shift table.

I'm still going through some of the other settings to see if there are more options I missed.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Tuner in Training
    Are you running the LFX motor? I have a 2012 Camaro 2LS that i tuned in a true sport mode instead of that crap Electronic Range Select, and I also have actual tap shift now.

Advanced Tuner
    The OP is not running the LFX motor (I think it's an LLT? Not sure though), but I am running an LFX. Curious as to how you set the TUTD setting to get it to behave like a real TUTD system. Did you just set "Range Select" to "Disable" and "TUTD" to "Enable"?

Close guess! I have an LY7. The LLT was the midstep between mine and the LFX. The LY7 is the port-injected version.

Anyway, Skizioli - what changes did you make to your sport mode? How does it work? Post your tune, if it's no trouble.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Tuner in Training
    I can't take credit for it, the changes were found by BlackoutLFX from the Camaro5 forums. Here's the link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340877 the picture instructions are on post 25

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you, kind sir - I apprecaite the link! Not sure if I'll actually do it to my Impala, but it's nice to know I can if I want to (I have an HPTuner, so I can enable it whenever I wish).

Tuner in Training
    It's definitely worth it. The ERS was driving me insane.

I think we're on two different pages here. The Malibu already has manual mode with paddle shifters. I had it set up so you can put the car in manual mode and the paddles don't activate until you touch them. That way, I could tune an aggressive "automatic" sport mode with the car in "M" until you want to hit the paddles. Sadly, this doesn't seem possible.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    Same with my 2012 Impala - it already has the paddle shifters that operate in Manual mode, but they're setup in "Electronic Range Select" mode from the factory. This means that you can only use them to set the "top" gear. If I got in manual mode on mine, for example and select "2" on the DIC, I would still start off in 1st gear, but could only go as high as second gear. So you can use them as tap-up/tap-down, but not fully. With the mod mentioned above, I could turn them into true TUTD paddle shifters. I'm also pretty sure I have separate tables for teh TUTD shift points, so I think that I could also the M mode as a "sport mode" as well (using that setting where it shifts normally until you use the paddles to shift). The key would be that you need separate shift tables for the TUTD shifts, which, like I said, I'm pretty sure I do.

You don't have TUTD-specific shift tables?

The TUTD tables are specifically for when the paddles are active. They're set from factory so the car doesn't upshift or downshift on its own, which is how "manual mode" is supposed to function. It's possible to change them, but then the car will still be shifting up and down automatically even when you're grabbing the paddles and expecting control of the shifts.

The choice appears to be either sport mode or manual mode, and I'd rather keep the full manual control.

I'm just not seeing where the trans is getting data from when the shifter is in "M" and I had the paddles set to be inactive. It locks out 6th gear and I don't see anything referring to that in HPTuners.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    It sounds like the Camaro guys do have "Sport" mode AND TUTD mode working. If I understand it correctly, they are doing exactly what you mentioned - in "Manual" mode, they are now in Sport mode until/unless they use the paddle shifters.

have you tried setting your settings just like they did for the Camaro to see if it works?

Although, I'm still not clear which shift table is being used for the "sport" mode shifts....

That's a good suggestion. I will look into that and report back.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Tuner in Training
    Jtrosky is right, when I put my shifter into M it is in sport mode. Once I hit a paddle, I go into a manual mode with the paddle shifter. To go from manual mode back to sport mode I just hold the upshift paddle for 2-4secs and it goes back into auto shifting.
    Hope this helps out.
    2012 Camaro 2LS IOM
    Mods: -CAI cold air intake -MRT V2 exhaust
    -Custom tune done by Myself with HP Tuners
    -Oracle Fog light kit for 2LS -HID headlights
    -Heritage grille-Phastek flat black ZL1 replica rims on Nitto invos (285/30R20) -Eibach pro kit lowering springs
    -Stoptech Stainless Braided brake lines -Stoptech Slotted and Drilled rotors -Hawk HPS pads
    -VMAX ported TB -Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (with Cat and Resonator delete) -Elite Catch can
    -Quad tips/1LE Rear Diffuser

Advanced Tuner
    So can you clarify which transmission shift tables are used for "Sport" mode and which are used for "Manual" mode? I'm not quite clear on how to tune the "Sport" mode without affecting the "Manual" mode.

When I looked at that Camaro forum, it just seemed like he zero'd out a bunch of tables - I didn't see where "Sport" mode shifts were configured. I didn't look at it very closely though, so maybe I mis-understood something.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    So can you clarify which transmission shift tables are used for "Sport" mode and which are used for "Manual" mode? I'm not quite clear on how to tune the "Sport" mode without affecting the "Manual" mode.

When I looked at that Camaro forum, it just seemed like he zero'd out a bunch of tables - I didn't see where "Sport" mode shifts were configured. I didn't look at it very closely though, so maybe I mis-understood something.
    Hey sorry didn't see your post, on the Camaros patter Y is the sport/manual mode; pattern X is drive, and pattern Z isn't used

Assigning pressure patterns X, Y, and Z is easy enough, but assigning shift tables to each mode is where I'm stumped. I've gotten some ideas from a Camaro V6 stock tune, but so far nothing has panned out.

The Normal Mode shift table is obvious.

The TUTD shift table is obvious.

However, the Pattern A and Pattern B shift tables aren't assigned to anything, and I can't seem to pair either one with "Sport" mode.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M