Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 cobalt ls turbo tuning help

ok still has alittle bit of a pop in boost but I think its some kind of limiter but I cant figure it out and it seems the tps cuts out on its own

cobalt 2.hpl maf and ve.cfg cobalt ls turbo maf.hpt

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Hpt denied offering any further insight. Still got some emails going though.

Let me know if you find anything

I have a strong sense that the dynamic airflow coefficients and the speed density ve coefficients are the base. If I am correct they model airflow but im having a few problems verifying that.
    1) the y axis plots are not a common plot value. usually this axis would be % of load/ map kpa/ tps/ or g/cyl.
    2) the axis is labeled "None" which means we don't have a clue what the plotted y-axis could be. this makes it hard to define the conditions that need to be met in each cell.
    3) the plotted data in the center of the tables is not linear or exponential. The data more or less shifts in sections up until a certain point then it drops and cycles again.

All I can come up with is that each y axis value is not a sensor but more likely a value that has been pre-assigned to a condition. so when sensor A/B and C fall into a certain range then the data used is condition 1. As sensors A/B and C change values the ecu preset conditions shift the data used into the required condition codes(2,3,4,5 and so on). Each code has its own preset conditions that would need to be met.

since I am having trouble verifying the axis mentioned before hand I am getting stuck on finding the base fuel map controls. I don't have a stock car to test theories on so if I cant get any more help then I will have to recommend a highly maf dependent tune.
    For right now keep tuning with your maf until you get your fueling in check. I am using a custom pid to monitor your fueling error and in certain spots on the maf sensor your going way lean. fixing these spots will help smooth the running out and help control the commanded timing. I also see the actual timing advance jumping around and maf tuning should help this stop jumping as frequently and keep it more on track.
    this is the custom pid I am plotting against your maf sensor hz: 100*([SENS.120]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] this is an afr error pid, 100*(actual afr - commanded afr)/commanded afr.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 05-18-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

OK I'll keep working on it and see if that helps then

so as of current without a test mule I am kinda stuck on figuring out a base fuel mode. It would most definitely require loads of testing to determine the definitions for the axis labeled "None". It has been confirmed that they are left as "None" for a reason and thus testing would be the only way we could define the axis without having access to the Engineering Files at Bosch (good luck without being apart of that ecus engineering team).
    now even though it will be a ton of work to sort out the base tables there is still plenty left to perform a standard maf tune.
    As long as you keep these functions:
    closed loop enabled
    maf activation set low
    maf fail set to highest allowed value

then you should be able to perform a maf sensor calibration. make a maf histogram for idle and another for above idle. use the filter option to filter out any rpm higher than that of the idle range and any tps or map signal higher than the boundaries of the idle tables. this leaves only idle data being plotted for correction. on the second table, reverse the filters to exclude all idle data so you can tune the rest of the maf without hurting your precious idle section.
    I highly recommend tuning idle to get used to the tuner and histogram settings before driving it around. if you understand it before you drive and possibly hit boost then you will spend less time tuning it back into a safe zone. go slow and tune in increments of power, so example: tune idle, then tune slow cruise, mild cruise/acceleration, hard acceleration, and finally wot. every time keep track of fueling and ignition. Fuel is extremely important but if you see any ignition spikes it must be taken care of immediately to prevent both systems from adding their damaging effects together and causing big problems.

I can continue to help with the maf tune guidance but as mentioned right now the base fueling system is out of my reach. I still feel horrible I misled you on the initial ve tables, again my apologies.

its cool on the ve tables im tuning maf as we speak and its getting a lot better. I did find the area of timing for wot boost and took 5 degrease from that whole area (idle and mid range is still stock low octane) to keep it safe

so enable close loop to dial in the maf? I thought you disable all that and go maf only

Closed loop keeps fuel trims active and you want those. maf tune is determined by how low you set the maf activation point.

so set maf down low and enable closed loop and dial in the maf that way correct?

Yes

could my poping issue at wot be torque management? because it seems to take away all timing for a sec then gives timing back and so on

It could be. Under trq management there should be an option to limit by fuel/spark/ both or disabled. If it says spark cut then it is capable of controlling ignition to limit power

ok so my afrs are a lot better and the poping stoped but it still has a hesitation at wot I know my maf still needs a little bit and smothed out but its close according to the histograms any ideas

cobalt ls turbo maf.hpt

cobalt 2.hpl

maf and ve.cfg

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like under WOT you have episodes of timing dropping.WOTDROP.jpg

It does it on both of the WOT pulls in this log. At some of these areas the AFR goes lean and makes me wonder if you have a misfire.

Ok so I need to see if I can confirm a misfire or not and figure out what is making it misfire that should be fun :/

My scan gauge says there are no misfires but the car went into limp mode with a maf code can't remember what it was I should have made a note of it so I wonder if my maf is bad

Ok the code was P0068

I also had the code p0121 so I replaced the tb but I still have the code so I'm wondering if the peddle is shot could that cause this issue?

those are tps position performance codes. p0068 is a correlation of pedal to the map and maf sensor. basically the ecu is telling you you are exceeding its range capabilities on one of the three sensors.
    this ecu may not like the fact boost is high on a n/a configured ecu and you will have to find the data field that needs changing to allow the spread of the sensors to increase.