Thread: 1997 Regal L67 in RWD racecar: What to disable? (torque manage, abuse mode etc)

Tuner in Training

1997 Regal L67 in RWD racecar: What to disable? (torque manage, abuse mode etc)

Hey guys,

I have a L67 from a 1997 Regal GS in a RWD Locost-based car. Engine, and fuel/spark management are stock. Camaro 5spd behind it. Intake and full exhaust. Car is used for street driving and autoX.
    I'm new to tuning, and I am hoping someone could look at my file and help with some questions. I've taken care of the DTC stuff, other than a couple I missed.

-First, why are my fans on all the time? I can command them off with Scanner so know they are hooked up correctly.
    -In Scanner, my MAP reads 5psi at idle. Is there an easy tweak?
    -Abuse mode and torque management- should I disable all this? (I have no A/T range switch, and no VSS. I forgot to check what gear it thinks it's in)
    -AEM Wideband claims 15.3afr at idle. How lean do these engines run at idle? Short and long fuel trims are happy so don't know I believe that. It is possible I have an exhaust leak though.
    -Anything else I should be doing? Not concerned about power yet. Just need to get it running well/safely first.

Thanks for any help.
    Cory
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Also, if it helps this is the stock tune (with VATS disabled).
    Cheers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Temp sensor unplugged??

I think if the temp sensor under the LIM is unplugged the fans will just run.

My grand prix used to idle around 14.5-15.3 on my wideband. An exhaust leak before the front o2 sensor can skew the numbers though.

I always read the MAP in KPA and just remembered the numbers for the conversion over to PSI. Made my life alot easier. Or I just had my aeroforce scan gauge reading my MAP in "in/hgs". Figure -19 to -20 at idle was the avg.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply.

-My temp sensor is reading correctly, I've compared it to my aftermarket cluster. I was wondering if it was to do with the HVAC, but I think it's disabled?
    -Good to know it's not just my car that idles that lean. I'll keep an eye on it at different RPMS/loads.
    - I checked the setting in KPA as well and said the same amount (roughly 35kpa). I haven't checked my MAP yet. Just figured maybe it was a known issue with HPTuners. I'll test the MAP with a vacuum gauge and go from there. I forget if BARO read correctly or not.

Thanks again.

Honestly 15.3 is not even considered lean at idle, the motor really doesnt even notice or even care at all.

These 3800's tend to even randomly misfire at idle too, but it can't be picked up by a scanner. It's just something you feel more than anything, happens more when the motor is modded and the need to run cooler plugs because of it.

Figure your stoich setting is still 14.70 in your tune, if you run 91+ octane fuel with 5-10% ethanol you can bring it down a touch to 14.1-14.5ish. But still figure it's still just going to bounce around from 14-15.5 as it just wants to stay near stoich, it can never be exact at idle. The o2 sensors are always switching.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Temp sensor unplugged??

I think if the temp sensor under the LIM is unplugged the fans will just run.

My grand prix used to idle around 14.5-15.3 on my wideband. An exhaust leak before the front o2 sensor can skew the numbers though.

I always read the MAP in KPA and just remembered the numbers for the conversion over to PSI. Made my life alot easier. Or I just had my aeroforce scan gauge reading my MAP in "in/hgs". Figure -19 to -20 at idle was the avg.
    Are u logging boost using the MAP? Ive been trying to get this to work and im close but no luck yet.

I tired to do it that way but couldnt ever get it right in hp tuners, so I just used my aeroforce instead.

I ended up selling the car earlier this year to enter a different platfoam, so I never tried to get it down again.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    "-Abuse mode and torque management- should I disable all this?" I have disabled all forms of torque management and gear abuse calculations on the V6 OS's under the Transmission and Engine sections for about 4 years now with absolutely no issues at all on my vehicle which is driven relatively hard, every day. You should feel safe if doing the same.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I've always assumed that the torque management is purely to protect the A/T, and not required for a M/T. I guess looking at a 5spd camaro would answer that. I'll have to check what gear the car thinks it's in too. With no P/N switch, it probably assumes it's in Park, so may limit because of it if abuse mode isn't disabled.
    Cheers.

Tuner in Training
    FYI, I checked a V6 camaro with M/T from the repository, and abuse is all disabled.
    Cheers.