Thread: Gen V 6l80 questin

Tuner in Training

Gen V 6l80 questin

I found bluegoat's and Chris@Hp write up about the 6l80e trans and those wanting to tune it. The info it had was great and very informative but it's for the G8GT 6L80e. I understand that the premise of tuning it is pretty much the same as tuning mine (2014 silverado 4.3L/6l80) but as I am reading it I am also going through my file and looking at the tables trying to get a better grasp of the tables and the hptuner program to what I have just read. Im grasping what im reading and seeing but I have a question about missing tables that I see that are illustrated in bluegoats write up but not seeing it in my file. Take for instance in the trans/auto shift properties/shift time (desired shift time base upshift Normal,special--shift time inertia adder upshift normal,special). These are in bluegoats pics but are not an option on my file. Have these tables been renamed? Do I not have that option on my trans? Probably a stupid question but I am a total noobie at this tuning stuff.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, GM changed the way that the newer ECM/TCM's are tuned. Everything is tuned from a "torque" perspective now - so basically, the computer figures out what values to use based on how much torque is commanded from the engine. So things are really tuned differently now. So it's not really dependent on what motor/trans you have, but what ECM/TCM you have - the computers used determine what tuning method is used.

Here is a link to an excellent article explaining how this new method of tuning works (I still don't fully "get it", but I'm trying to learn!) - it's pretty damn complicated! This article is written for the E78 ECM, but it also applies to others (such as the E39 ECM, which is what I have):

https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...vanced_e78.htm

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Also - make sure you are set to the "Advanced" view under Edit->View in teh VCM editor - someone else just pointed this out in another thread - if nto set to "Advanced", you won't see ALL of the tables.