Thread: Avalanche 5.3 4l80 Questions

Potential Tuner

Avalanche 5.3 4l80 Questions

I recently completed a 4l80 swap into an 04 Avalanche. I also replaced the engine with another 5.3 out of an 02 Silverado. I am just beginning to mess around with tuning it. I am completely new to this. I have done the segment swap and it seemed to go fine. There are a few concerns I have currently.

1) The cats have been removed and I disabled COT and disabled the O2 Sensors minimum voltage codes. I am still getting Bank 1 and Bank 2 Lean codes. Can these be disabled as well or is there a legitimate problem?
    2) The TCC Slip RPM is all over the place, I saw where people recommend 0-50rpm slip under light load but I am typically showing -25 RPM and spikes up to 1000rpm?? This part has me actually concerned.
    3) Where do I actually start with tuning the engine or can I do much good without a wideband?

I have attached my log, config and tune files although Im not sure if I included the correct PIDs. If there is any other information that I should provide to give you guys a better picture of whats going on, let me know and I will correct it.

I appreciate any help I can get on this.

Avalanche_BeginTuning.hptConfig.cfg2015_0504_1700.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Ok. I was able to work through some of my issues. Most of my issues came because I was trying to use 2.25 to tune it which obviously is missing a lot of the tables. I tried opening the .hpt with 2.24 which would not work for obvious reasons. The licensing part was confusing me quite a bit and I did not realize I could just read the ECU again and open it with 2.24.

Once I did that I was able to see all of the missing tables which was a huge relief. I finished removing the vast majority of the torque management. On a recommendation in another thread I disabled Trans>Torque Management>Abuse Mode.

I also raised the TCC Duty cycle minimum to 80 and left the maximum at 99. The torque converter was definitely not locking up all the way. The truck pulls away from a stop SO MUCH better now and full throttle I can feel the torque converter staying locked instead of the rpm flaring before locking up.

I guess my next step will be firming up the shifts a tad bit and then beginning to tune the engine. I am still showing the P0171 and P0174 codes but Im not sure where to go with it at this point. I might try cleaning the MAF and seeing if it goes away as several threads suggested that, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the catalytic converters being gone. I am just confused as to how it determines a lean condition since it has the stock narrowbands.

What do your STFT's and LTFT's look like. If you the ecm has to add a lot of fuel and max's those out, it will set your lean codes.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-06-2015 at 12:26 AM.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Potential Tuner
    My LTFTs stay maxed at 25% my STFTs are staying towards the high side of full scale. Especially at idle the STFTs are above 40%. It seems odd that only removing the cats would alter the fueling requirements this much. Is this to be expected?

Senior Tuner
    No you have something else wrong.

No, cat delete shouldn't be near that bad. When i pulled mine and added long tubes and cold air, i only saw about 10% change in only a few rows. You should go straight MAF (shut VE off) and see how it runs. Let us know how far off it is running with just the MAF, don't forget to reset your trims with the scanner. Then we'll walk back into the VE.
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 05-06-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Potential Tuner
    Ok I will play with it tomorrow and see if I can make some progress. Thanks for the help

Potential Tuner
    I found the source of the fueling issues. After a lot of thinking about it while trying to go to sleep last night it occured to me that it smells extremely rich and with it throwing a lean code it basically has to be unmetered air getting in. When I replaced the transmission I also but another engine in that came out of an 02 Silverado. I am using its intake manifold since the stock one had about a quart of oil in it and I couldn't get it clean. I hooked up the passenger side breather to the only empty port on the manifold which turned out to be the problem. I pulled the hose off and capped it then reset the fuel trims. Problem solved. STFTs are generally between +0-10% and LTFTs are +5-20%. They never went full scale once on this last log.

very cool, glad you got 'er fixed!
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx

Potential Tuner
    Me too. Im going to try and get that other intake cleaned and try to use it. Worse case I will order another one. The tune is far from perfect but I will just go with it.
    Thanks for all the help