Thread: Big cam 418LS2, idle tanks to stalling after start up

Tuner in Training

Big cam 418LS2, idle tanks to stalling after start up

one of the remaining issues I am dealing with on this install and tune- car starts up nice (finally), rpm comes down smoothly to setpoint of 950rpm, but then tanks down to nearly stalling. it will cough and sputter a few seconds then come up to idle speed of 950rpm. Car will run flawlessly the rest of the time motor is running. turn off car then restart, same thing, maybe not so bad when warm.
    258/266 .649 113lsa in a 418cid LS2, stock LS6 intake + all the good bolt-ons, 2001 ZO6. SD tuning. I've been experimenting with the Startup PIDs and also the friction airflow values, with some success/response. If the answer lies within these tables, this can take a while!! The startup and idle spark is steady at 22*, AFR solid now after I did the SD dial in of the VE and now the O2s back on. Also, I have the Base RAF table scaled +5 and IAC Park +3.

also, has anyone had any affect with Stall Saver?

Thanks in advance guys

Robert
    Last edited by ramjudd; 03-18-2006 at 04:52 AM.

have you done your idle airflow? waht intake are you running and TB?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    have you done your idle airflow? waht intake are you running and TB?
    As I indicated, stock LS6 intake/TB and have the Base RAF scaled +5 and Park IAC +3

yeah you will need to do our idle airflow, simply adding numbers just doesnt work. in the sticky up top there is a write up on what to look for and waht to do
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

How much throttle % TPS do you have? You don't want to go above about 9% AFAIK. If so you need a hole in the TB blade. I like to see the ETC vehicles at about 7%. That way no sticky TB's.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

try bringing your idle spark up to 26*-28* that big of a cam will want more spark at idle than 22...

you want TPS in teh 5%-7% range as is my understanding....if its not there..then you need to drill a hole in the TB blade

then you need to do an Idle RAF log..to get the RAF table correct..not just scale it
    -Scott -

With a cam that big I think 35 - 40+ deg at idle would probably be better yet. You basically have a big block. It wants to act like one (BB's love timing esp at Idle!)

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!