Thread: Nedd HP Tuners questions

Tuner in Training

Nedd HP Tuners questions

im 18 and about to graduate. ive taken on my 86 k10 project alone and had to learn everything by myself because my dad had left. as of now i would say i am extremely mechanically able to hold my own. i do not know everything but if i dont i will learn to do it. that is besides the point though. with me heading to college the 8-10 mpg out of my 350 sbc isnt cutting it. i found a builder who can hook me up 5.3/4l60e ready to run for 2k. i figured this would be my best bet. i think the combo ranges from 02-04. so first question is what GEN is it so i can post questions there. i know i dont need the software to tune right off the bat but i plan on adding a turbo to the motor along with other upgrades. i would start with a cam and learn to tune it before the turbo though,which brings me to my next question. how hard is it to learn? where can i learn,what can i read research? then hopefully ill get the hang out it before i slap the turbo on.i figured hp tuners would be my best bet with dyno/tuning prices. i also figured i could turn around and charge others for custom tunes. i thank you for reading and helping me out in this project. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

There are some very good resources out there to learn, read a lot and look at these forums. for me there is no better class than hands on. There are some commercial training solutions such as the tuning school and some purchase and read guides.

Im not sure that the swap you are looking at will be the answer to your prayers, depending on gears, tires load you may not be any or much better off with a 5.3 swap.

Not sure where you live but for 2K you could probably buy a nice smaller car with excellent fuel mileage and with the inexpensive upkeep have yourself a great daily driver beater. If you get a GM such as a cavalier or Buick regal you can tune them as well.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    1.) 02-04 = GENIII. 2.) Not hard actually. Tables dictate exactly how much fuel or ignition advance your car gets and when, (also VVT on newer stuff) just figure out which tables are being used and when. When you've put what you desire in there you then verify if those same numbers are coming out the tail pipe, (using wideband o2 setup) and usually you would then make adjustments to other tables that your engines sensors use until there is little to no error left between what you've input and what's being output. 3.) Jumping in it will take a little while no matter where and how you learn but learning here on the forum is great and a fine place to start, I'm glad they have it. You can also ease into the learning curve by tuning and or just mainly reading about then viewing tunes for much simpler cars first, (older V6's or even 4cyl) then consider getting the Greg Banish tuning DVD after a while so you are up to par before doing your first serious turbocharged V8 project. BONUS: That must be her in the picture looks great, always wanted one of those K5's. You're young and at the best time of your life to financially recover from an "investment" into a project such as this, that being said still don't waste a dime and don't waste your time with the wrong parts. $2000 is a lot of startup money and I always consider my options, but first requirements. Will that engine tranny combo come with at the least, the original PCM and complete wiring harness? If so, options are still open using other setups for potentially less money. With that size vehicle you might want to consider the 6.0 which can still offer surprising efficiency. And don't forget whether you go with the 5.3 or 6.0 they both also come in an aluminum block version offering you even more power and efficiency with less weight as well. If you can get one of those in your combo for the same price or cheaper than the package you're currently looking at it's a no brainer. Learn how to spot which trucks have the aluminum block in them and troll your local junk yards. If you can, find a "pick apart yard" that will let you go in with your own tools and haul everything out yourself. That way you can be sure to grab the PCM, wiring harness, motor & tranny mounts, any other needed pieces, and maybe even for quite a bit less than $2000 I would think. Good luck!
    Last edited by Dr. Nopps; 04-30-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Tuner in Training
    the motor and tranny are complete. stock PCM and everything. i just would need buy a VSS converter, motor mounts, and maybe headers if i dont feel like using the manifolds the first year. im still looking at all my options because i would love to save money wherever i can. when i move to my new home i might be able to find a truck with the complete setup for cheaper. and about the tuning part i would start with learning how to tune small stuff before i screwed up my turbo build. im just torn between a mail order tune and learning myself. mail order tune would be cheaper from what i looked up but im still looking.

You clearly have an interest in cars and modding, I would definitely say learn tuning for yourself. I have less mechanical background than you, and I was able to successfully tune my newer and more complicated DOHC engine with VVT and 6-speed auto drivetrain. I learned everything in several months exclusively using these forums and internet searches.

Also, when you buy HPTuners, you get several vehicles worth of tuning credits, and additional cars beyond that would only cost $100-150. So it pays for itself by the time you tune a second vehicle.

I could have bought a mail order tune and saved almost $200, but I've never regretted the decision. My tune is exactly what I want, and when I notice engine or trans behavior that bugs me during a drive, I can fire up hptuners and change it.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M